Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Space rock: piece of early life puzzle?

Waspie_Dwarf

Swedish space rock may be piece of early life puzzle

A fossil meteorite unlike anything seen before has been uncovered in a Swedish quarry. The mysterious rock may be the first known piece of the "bullet" that sparked an explosion of life on early Earth.

Roughly 100 fossil meteorites have emerged from the limestone quarry west of Stockholm, which is being mined for flooring. All of the meteorites are part of an iron-poor class called the L chondrites. They date back about 470 million years to the Ordovician period, when Earth experienced a mysterious burst of new species.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

So after reading the article, I get the impression that all life on Earth didn't come crawling out of the ocean. Anyone else read the article that way?

The impression I get from the article is that they really haven't even completely identified whether or not this is the "bullet" asteroid in question. Even if it is they are still in the dark as to whether or not this had any influence on the biodiversification of life on the planet, it seems to just be speculatory at this point though the discovery itself is interesting.

• Like 1

Anyone else read the article that way?

Not at all.

The article makes no mention at all of how life started on Earth, it points out that an explosion in life forms came 490 million years ago at time of increased meteorite impacts but makes it clear that life was already here at the time:

About 515 million years ago, our planet was going through an evolutionary slump. A burst of diversity that happened during the Cambrian period had tapered off, and few new types of animals were emerging. Mysteriously, about 25 million years later life sprang back into action in the early part of the Ordovician, generating loads of species.
  • Like 1

QUOTE-

It’s not clear exactly why the

Ordovician meteor shower led to a

greater variety of life on the planet.

funny., i was thinking the same thing...

I knew it! If its true it proves there might be beings like us on other planets

Edited by TheGreatBeliever

I knew it! If its true it proves there might be beings like us on other planets

How does it exactly?

I'll answer that for you... it doesn't prove any such thing.

All it suggests is that there may be a link between large meteorite impacts and rapid evolution of life on Earth. There is no suggestion, implicit or implied, of extraterrestrial life in this study.

Even if there were evidence of extraterrestrial life being brought to Earth in meteorites (the Panspermia hypothesis) this would suggest that microbial life is common in the galaxy but would still offer not the slightest scrap of evidence that, "beings like us," exist on any other planet.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

The impression I get from this article is that the meteorite impacts seemed to help add more different kinds of life by possible seeding... just space trying to balance out the boring fish life we had going on back then, lol...

• Like 1

Yes unless they have got it wrong, it seems a meteorite ploughed into pre historic earth 470 million years ago followed seconds later by a burst of life. Incredible! :clap: