Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bed shaking/pushing from below every night

MavSynchroid

On 12/10/2016 at 11:48 AM, AngelHAzh said:

I stayed wake pretending to be asleep , and I kid you not I can see the shadow of my bed getting picked up.

I m not sure they were clear. They seemed to think they were awake.

3 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Well it obviously happened in a altered state, I thought the OP was pretty clear about that.

10 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Well he was awake, partially. That's how sleep paralysis and that type of thing works.  

13 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Oh wait, yea I did miss the first part, lol yea gotta call BS there

7 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Yea cause people always have the video recorder going while they are sleeping. :mellow:

Yea cause if they were asleep, it  ..  like ... umm ....  er .. wouldn't be a DREAM.....

Read the various responses and you'll see that most claimants are telling us this happens frequently if not nightly. and that they are awake at least when the later events happen.

If they aren't awake, then for deity's sake, they are dreaming.  Is that amazing declaration rocket science?

Is the fact that NOT ONE, NADA ZILCH of these tro claimants is coming back to help investigate, not a bit of an indication of something rather obvious?

At best, they - like you, pm - don't want to get any answer they don't like ... or are simply trolling.  I'd be delighted to help try to record this alleged phenomena, yet no-one is interested in even discussing how, let alone doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I woke up and had this same exact thing happen this morning.  It felt like there was something about the size of a cat or small dog moving around in my bed.  Like it was trying to get more comfortable.  Previously I have been awake and felt like something sat down on my bed or jumped on it.  Always brushed it off.  Although this morning it was directly under me and I felt it roll over.  I got up but shifted over and punched the spot on the mattress I felt it at and IT MOVED.  I thought about shooting the spot with a loaded pistol I keep on my nightstand.  Although I decided not to because it would have scared the hell out of my roommates.  I can't find anything on this except for stories just like my experience.  If at anything at least know you're not alone.  

I also woke up with a scratch on my jaw.  My finger nails aren't long enough for me to have scratched myself.  I really have no idea what it is.

Hi folks, interesting thread. It seems to me we have two clear positions here, those who attribute this phenomenon to an external entity, and the sceptics who see it as a function of the brain.

Here's my contribution which adds a little support to both of these viewpoints.

I first read this thread last night. In fact it was so interesting I spent an hour or so reading it staying up until midnight to finish. I remember thinking, "This isn't good reading material immediately before bedtime." When I got into bed my wife, who had retired forty five minutes earlier was still awake, and she said to me, "You'll never guess what just happened. An animal jumped onto the bed and walked across it. When I sat up to see what it was there was nothing there." She was unaware that I was reading this thread, in fact she knows nothing of this website.

Two observations come to mind. The first supports the brain theory. My wife and I have been together for over forty years, and unsurprisingly our minds are somewhat in tune after all this time. Could her experience have been triggered by my thoughts downstairs?

My second observation, quite weak but I'll make it anyway, is that if an external entity was responsible for my wife's experience it's worth noting that no human beings (to the best of my knowledge) have passed away in our house, but three loyal family pets (cats) have all passed on. If you believe in spirits, we have no resident human ones but plenty of cat spirits.

Edited by john444
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/2/2014 at 0:52 PM, MavSynchroid said:

Hey folks.

So my issue has been going on for a few months at least now, and it happens every single night, to the point where I'm usually not even scared by it. However all in all, it is rather annoying and I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on.

So, to start off, this does not matter whethere I sleep on my bed or on the couch. When I lie down to sleep, after 5-15 minutes, or if I happen to THINK about it (sounds crazy I know), the bed will begin to start off with tiny vibrations, then quickly evolve into what essentially feels like someone pushing up with their fists from under the matress. It's in random spots every night, also at random speeds and pressure. Sometimes the up and down feeling is on par with breathing, and sometimes it feels as fast as someone lightly punching the matress from below me. It'll happen at my head, my feet, my back, and my bottom, all randomly.

The weird thing is, if I can take my mind off of it, it seems to stop, only to come RIGHT back if I focus on thinking about it. I just recently figured this out, but I would bet anything in the world that it's not simply an imagined feeling in my mind.

I want to be extremely clear when I say this is not like I "kind" of feel something. If it's happening by my head, my vision will shake with each movement.

If my blanket is close to or touching the ground, it'll also feel as though someone is VERY slightly tugging at my blanket. Again, this is NOT an imagined feeling. They are both extremely clear every night.

At first I was terrified, but as it continued to happen every night, I just simply find it an annoyance now.

Honestly wonder if it's because spend a lot of time watching TV/anime on my computer. Maybe there's a ghost who has nothing to do so enjoys watching it too, and gets upset when I finally go to bed in the AM. (I know, sounds silly)

Anyway, if this could somehow stop I'd be so happy, sometimes it makes it tough to go to bed and I'm sick of wrapping myself in a cocoon with the blanket (don't like the feeling when I'm on the couch and the cushions are being pushed right at the crack between them)

Hello- I was researching this and THE EXACT THING HAPPENS YO ME. It even followed me to the sofa like you. Like it is an aggravating spirit. I yell st it - I pray Jesus against it- it doesn't seem to care. It comes right back. Hits the end of my bed during the night and/or pushes underneath just like you said.  I finally asked my church and they said it's like a witch cursed me. Like a spell or curse. I'm st a loss too. That's why I was looking online. It's like I read MY OWN STORY. I'm not scared either now. Just aggravated because it wakes me all night long.  And I'm wide awake like you. The bed gets a slight vibration ...  then it starts hitting the foot of the bed. Crazy. I know. But you're sane and do am I ....

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Susan9 said:

I finally asked my church and they said it's like a witch cursed me.

Which church was that exactly?  I'd like to speak with them.

And perhaps you might like to read and actually address what has already been posted on the thread? 

I've had my bed shake in close to a violent manner as I explained in my post earlier. I can stop it by saying"Stop! Leave me a alone" and it quits every time. It seems to me the entity if you will is just playing with me. So try that and see if that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2014 at 10:52 AM, MavSynchroid said:

Hey folks.

So my issue has been going on for a few months at least now, and it happens every single night, to the point where I'm usually not even scared by it. However all in all, it is rather annoying and I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on.

So, to start off, this does not matter whethere I sleep on my bed or on the couch. When I lie down to sleep, after 5-15 minutes, or if I happen to THINK about it (sounds crazy I know), the bed will begin to start off with tiny vibrations, then quickly evolve into what essentially feels like someone pushing up with their fists from under the matress. It's in random spots every night, also at random speeds and pressure. Sometimes the up and down feeling is on par with breathing, and sometimes it feels as fast as someone lightly punching the matress from below me. It'll happen at my head, my feet, my back, and my bottom, all randomly.

The weird thing is, if I can take my mind off of it, it seems to stop, only to come RIGHT back if I focus on thinking about it. I just recently figured this out, but I would bet anything in the world that it's not simply an imagined feeling in my mind.

I want to be extremely clear when I say this is not like I "kind" of feel something. If it's happening by my head, my vision will shake with each movement.

If my blanket is close to or touching the ground, it'll also feel as though someone is VERY slightly tugging at my blanket. Again, this is NOT an imagined feeling. They are both extremely clear every night.

At first I was terrified, but as it continued to happen every night, I just simply find it an annoyance now.

Honestly wonder if it's because spend a lot of time watching TV/anime on my computer. Maybe there's a ghost who has nothing to do so enjoys watching it too, and gets upset when I finally go to bed in the AM. (I know, sounds silly)

Anyway, if this could somehow stop I'd be so happy, sometimes it makes it tough to go to bed and I'm sick of wrapping myself in a cocoon with the blanket (don't like the feeling when I'm on the couch and the cushions are being pushed right at the crack between them)

hey people at unexplained mysteries, hope you can help me!

i, like many people along the way, did a google search for "bed shaking and feeling like something is in the mattress pushing up or punching up" and i got to here and read the original post and thought it sounded kind of like something that i am experiencing, so i went through all the trouble of registering on this site and then it took me like a week to jump through the hoops, but here's my post and it's a bit different than the experience of the OP.  this only started about two months ago...

so here it is.  this doesn't happen every night but enough to make me google search it.  my experience is that it feels like shaking on the mattress and since i am in earthquake territory, san diego california, at first i didn't think much of it, but it continued to happen.  and after the shaking, then it evolves into more of the undulating mattress, by this i mean feeling as the mattress was on some kind of mechanical bull, trying to dump me off it, lifting up in certain areas, mostly near my feet, and then the sensation transitions into the feeling as though there was something in my mattress, pushing up at me.  at first i thought oh **** there's probably some mice or rats in there, but that's probably not the case.  i have a box spring on top of a mattress on top of another thinner mattress (think the type that comes with a loft bed).  so now i'm really kind of freaking out.  i mean i have a situation where the mattress seems to be moving and i guess it frightens me a little but it also keeps me from sleeping, especially with the worry that there is something wrong with me.

i know it is not sleep paralysis, although i know i get this condition from time to time because i have nightmares of people trying to choke me or dogs trying to bite me but oddly it doesn't really bother me.  but these shakes and punches underneath my mattress happen when i am fully awake, i know that to be true, so don't bother me over SP.  and then i see posts about how it could be mental illness, but i'm an atheist so i have no issue with rationality or mental health, haha.  that was me being a jerk, but in all seriousness, please don't give me a supernatural spiel, because i know this has to be medical.

im starting to think it is probably some phenomenon of the body, but at the same time i'm pretty healthy -- 28 female i run at least 4 miles a day, everyday and i don't really do drugs enough to account for this  -- so cmon man wtf?  but my dad does have sleepwalking/sleepfighting conditions that happen to him now and then, so maybe genetic?  unlike the OP, who says it plagues him everyday, if i think about it, it doesn't happen.  it happens on its own whim, maybe 1-2 times a week.  so maybe some kind of stress thing? 

i don't know what i hope to accomplish by posting this but i dunno, maybe someone came up with a not-crazy explanation they can let me weigh in on.  i'd like an explanation because it's getting me down :(

Please set up a camera and record. One of two things will happen it will stop or it will get worse either way you'll have evidence or it will stop.

28 minutes ago, Just_Seeking said:

Please set up a camera and record. One of two things will happen it will stop or it will get worse either way you'll have evidence or it will stop.

Exactly.  FWIW, the one thing in common with all these claimants is their inability to read or acknowledge anything but the first post in this thread.  The steps to investigate this have already been laid out several times, along with suggestions of some medical conditions that cause these symptoms - but did Ashervo get this properly checked out medically - of course not, it was just dismissed - even though she 'knows it is just medical".. she hasn't been to a doctor to get it checked out.  :blink:

Edited by ChrLzs

Yeah dude of course not I don't have health insurance and that's a huge fee for no answers hence my post here. As for camera I know it's not supernatural and I know it's something going on with me was just hoping after 2 years of posts someone would have an update. Like I dunno stress related or some way to curtail it, was just looking for cause and effect.

Ashervon, don't take the *Snip* personally.  They love to jump around here spouting their 'absolute answers' and are little more than kneejerk *Snip* armchair psychologists who love to spout out simple one line/phrase answers they heard somewhere in answer to complex situations so that their minds don't have to engage things that make them uncomfortable, lie outside their ken of experience, or are not able to understand and process.

Their words are about them not you.

I wish you well and thank you for sharing.

Edited by kmt_sesh
Ridicule
  • Like 1

QuiXilver, angry much?

Your post is tantamount to flamebaiting (see Rule 3e, although others might likewise apply). If you cannot contribute to the discussion and merely want to ridicule those with whom you disagree, you should refrain from posting in the thread at all.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Not angry at all... just bolstering a person who I perceived to be under the exact influence you just described.

ok i didn't mean to start some kinda thing here. thx quiXilver for your kind words.  really all i'm trying to do is find out if anyone on here with similar symptoms has found out what might be causing it.  i don't believe in ghosts and i know it's not sleep paralysis, i heard there was some analysis on ear wax buildup, and that is somewhat interesting to me, given that i know it affects balance.  but really guys for a middle class white girl in america,  28, i make too little for pity care (obamacare) and not enough to justify the monthly and huge deductible, so i'm being a renegade don't-care ******* without insurance, so please don't tell me to go and see my doctor, i have none of those things, so really  all i'm trying to accomplish here is to learn maybe from some other user's experience and understand what might be happening to me with all the bed shaking, undulating, feeling of snakes in my mattress or at least a balloon expanding and then retracting, under all my limbs, at whim.  not trying to start any kind of controversy, believe me.  

22 hours ago, Ashervon said:

Yeah dude of course not I don't have health insurance and that's a huge fee for no answers hence my post here. As for camera I know it's not supernatural and I know it's something going on with me was just hoping after 2 years of posts someone would have an update. Like I dunno stress related or some way to curtail it, was just looking for cause and effect.

First up, my apologies for coming off as a bit grumpy.  If you read the entire thread you'll get an idea why....  Most folks who have made this claim post once and never return, and the few who do return, don't answer any questions and don't accept any suggestions or advice, especially the obvious advice to see their doctor.   I and others have put a fair bit of time into making suggestions and trying to get to the bottom of this, for no result whatsoever.. 

That being said...  I'm sorry you can't afford to go to a doctor.  We can't really help with that.  But to diagnose whether you do have a condition (which may a be a simple sleeping disorder, but could also be more serious), you can't expect that at a forum, even if a suitably qualified MD was around.  They need to see you, do physical tests, etc.  And as you seem to agree, some kind of medical condition is by far the most likely reason this is happening to you.

So at least try to remember to bring it up when maybe for some other reason you *do* have to go to a doctor...

And after 2 years, yes, we should have some answers.. and probably would have if any of the claimants stuck around and actually did some stuff as suggested..., but everyone seems to make the claim and then vanishes.

Added, sorry, forgot to add the suggested searches - try Googling:

'Sleep Paralysis'  and  'Periodic Limb Movement Disorder'

Edited by ChrLzs
added bit..

My bed doesn't shake, but often enough the blankets and pillows do.  I like to sleep where the air is very cold, so I have lots of blankets, and I like to sleep comfy, so I have lots of pillows, and sometimes they take it into their mind to shake me so much I wake up.  They keep it up until I actually get up.

I dunno -- one of those things -- I ain't gonna lose sleep over it (at least not much since I crawl into bed and go back to sleep.

4 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

First up, my apologies for coming off as a bit grumpy.  If you read the entire thread you'll get an idea why....  Most folks who have made this claim post once and never return, and the few who do return, don't answer any questions and don't accept any suggestions or advice, especially the obvious advice to see their doctor.   I and others have put a fair bit of time into making suggestions and trying to get to the bottom of this, for no result whatsoever.. 

That being said...  I'm sorry you can't afford to go to a doctor.  We can't really help with that.  But to diagnose whether you do have a condition (which may a be a simple sleeping disorder, but could also be more serious), you can't expect that at a forum, even if a suitably qualified MD was around.  They need to see you, do physical tests, etc.  And as you seem to agree, some kind of medical condition is by far the most likely reason this is happening to you.

So at least try to remember to bring it up when maybe for some other reason you *do* have to go to a doctor...

And after 2 years, yes, we should have some answers.. and probably would have if any of the claimants stuck around and actually did some stuff as suggested..., but everyone seems to make the claim and then vanishes.

I think a lot of times we have dreams that continue for a little while after we wake up -- it's like part of the brain hasn't got the message yet -- that may explain some of these phenomena.  We are more complicate beings than we know.  Having schizophrenic tendencies, I've come to realize that spirits must be really bored to do some of the things they are said to do -- I would find some more interesting way to manifest myself -- and find some way to do it while the person is fully awake so that dreams and other sleep phenomena can't be blamed.

Of course that too does happen -- sometimes my bedroom lamp is really angry at me and goes on a (I forget the word -- kinda of an unbroken chain of complaints).  Fortunately, turning of the bulb also turns it off, but I don't like being impolite.

17 minutes ago, ChrLzs said:

Added, sorry, forgot to add the suggested searches - try Googling:

'Sleep Paralysis'  and  'Periodic Limb Movement Disorder'

no worries dude, and i get your frustrations, i've actually read a bit of the two years and counting posts on this website, up at night and trying not to think about all the snakes in my bed or whatever it is shaking my bed and pushing up on my mattress.  i would really like to think it's nothing too serious and i would embrace sleep paralysis as the answer if it was actually the answer.  i'm fully and completely awake at the time and i've actually had the SP so i know the difference.  i have to hope (at least) that it is some kind of bugs in the mattress, which i kinda know it's not, or some kind of nerve or inner ear thing, or like my over active imagination, or **** as long as it isn't terminal or cancer or some kind of tortuous disease, i think i can handle the other outcomes, ugh i think.  

p.s. i won't disappear or vanish from my posts because i am very interested to know what's going on here.  but i also know it's not supernatural so i will understand the abandonment of this query.  i think that people who do vanish are not doing it because they are lying or anything like that; i think they just kind of forget that they posted or the problem gets resolved, which really is a great thing.  i hope to vanish because my problem is resolved :)

So can you be specific - Sleep Paralysis manifests in several ways - how do you know that a form of it isn't the answer?

Have you had a good look at the Wiki pages for Periodic Limb Movement and also Restless Leg Syndromes?

When do these events happen - as you are going to sleep or do they wake you up?  Early or late evening or morning?

Does consumption of coffee or alcohol have any effect?

You say they may be related to stress - why do you say that?

Does this only happen at home?  Do you have a partner or other person living in the same house?  Do you have pets?

Can you sleep with a light on?  Would you be prepared to do some filming with your smart phone or whatever you may have?

I know it isn't SP because I am always fully awake.  Sometimes I get up and walk around and have cognizant thoughts.  I will turn the light on, check the bed, look around.  Then I will lie back down, and after about five minutes, it will be back!  The best way to describe it is that it is all over my body for example, if i am lying on my stomach, i will feel it on the shin of my leg, like something under the mattress, almost like a balloon being blown up and then contracted, then i will feel it in my arms, same sensation.  it is almost like if i had a water bed, a snake swimming around and touching me in certain areas if that makes sense..

It does not really happen when I am first going to sleep nor does it wake me.  It usually happens after i have awoken in the middle of the night, like around 2-6 am.  i thought that maybe alcohol played a role in it at first but then i realized that times when i come home and sleep drunk, it doesn't happen, so i don't think so anymore.  i think stress because recently i've been harassed by people and it has stressed me out and it kind of coincides, so maybe i'm thinking that i'm all tense or something from the harassments that i can't sleep right, i am not sure.  it seems to be more frequent now as the harassments have gotten worse, so maybe it's related?

i have a boyfriend but i never feel it in his bed but to be  fair i don't spend the night there either and i feel like this is one of those things that happens after i've been asleep and then awake.  there are no pets.

i would have no problem filming it if i believed it was something that could be filmed.  but it's not like the people who say they feel phantom cats walking on their beds or indentations.  i don't think it is something that could be filmed.  i think it's something going on with me, either nerves or in my head, i don't know.  

I've been experiencing this too. At first I only felt a rolling under my mattress. I could feel it and see it, like so,e one was in between the mattress pad and mattress. And I saw something like hands rubbing all over my fiancé. And when I go to touch him, it would be nothing. He started getting mad because I started accusing him with messing with my head because I'd wake up in the middle of the night to him saying in long drawn out breaths, "iiiii haaaaate youuuuu" over and over again. And he said he nvr did that, but it happened 3 or 4 times within the past month. I felt the rolling in the seat of his truck followed by a electrical zap that came from in between the seat that touched my lower back and went down to my ankles and my feet were heavy as I tried it lift them off the floor of the truck. I was happy when I felt it thinking he isn't messing with me, it's only an energy that I'm feeling and maybe it's coming from him.  Except maybe the vibe I'm getting is that he doesn't want me anymore and doesn't kno how to tell me. I am very sensitive to peoples' feelings and can feel what they are feeling, I guess I'm an empath. I video taped it on our trip down to the Florida keys. I thought I would hear him whisper and he'd deny it but I wanted to prove my sanity so I video taped it and if you look at his shirt and pant legs, in the video, u can see what appears to be a hand under his clothes moving all over him to the point that he looks like he's having an orgasm. I showed him and two other people and he doesn't see it but the other 2 see it.  One said it's the wind and the other said, 'wtf is going on?' I always wake up to him talking to someone at 3 am, another thing he Denys. I video taped this and you could hear him saying things in long drawn out breaths like pullllll it. He wears a sleep apnea machine. But I also hear another voice saying I am I am. One night he had both arms around me and all of a sudden it felt like some one pulled his private area really hard down into the mattress and I jumped up and looked under the bed and nothing. I am wide awake during any episodes. He left for a few days for work and last night I felt the rolling then the bed moved slowly six inches to the left and 2 inches away from the wall and I said come on who's messing with me. The day before I was laying across the bed drifting to sleep and I felt someone touch my heel of my foot and of course nothing was there. I don't know what's going on and I'm starting to question my own sanity. Sorry if I didn't explain too well, I'm ready to walk out the door . I googled my experience and this site popped up.