Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bed shaking/pushing from below every night

MavSynchroid

Hi. I am new here and this subject is why I joined just now. I have had my mental health checked before and everything else in my life is generally ok but I live in a house divided into apartments with boyfriend. I believe in paranormal and spiritual stuff and have seen some things could not be explained. Now off and on for last year I've had increasingly frequent instances of something that isn't there running into our bed at night. For a time they became more frequent but I began looking into spiritual remedies for this. A suggestion I found was to put sachets or bundles of certain herbs with cleansing and protective attributes under all 4 corners of the bed, allegedly creating a barrier between whatever darkness was trying to disturb you at night. I chose thyme . It was easy to get, cheap and also used in antiseptics, said to be protective and was rumored to be what they laid Mary on to birth Jesus.  The night I put the thyme under our bed, the bumps stopped completely. It has been weeks since the "thing" bumped our bed. But last night, I was kept awake by the bumps again. This morning, I looked under our bed. Three of the four thyme bundles were completely missing, one was only stems with the leaves gone and the ties I tied all five of them with were nowhere to be found. I keep some Fresh in the fridge for cooking. I made more fresh and replaced them. I know all five were there last week because I smudged my whole house and saw them each under the bed. I smudged whole house because my boyfriend and I had gone on a drive to a few old country cemeteries and had a strange experience that day.

• 1 month later...
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2014 at 1:52 PM, MavSynchroid said:

Hey folks.

So my issue has been going on for a few months at least now, and it happens every single night, to the point where I'm usually not even scared by it. However all in all, it is rather annoying and I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on.

So, to start off, this does not matter whethere I sleep on my bed or on the couch. When I lie down to sleep, after 5-15 minutes, or if I happen to THINK about it (sounds crazy I know), the bed will begin to start off with tiny vibrations, then quickly evolve into what essentially feels like someone pushing up with their fists from under the matress. It's in random spots every night, also at random speeds and pressure. Sometimes the up and down feeling is on par with breathing, and sometimes it feels as fast as someone lightly punching the matress from below me. It'll happen at my head, my feet, my back, and my bottom, all randomly.

The weird thing is, if I can take my mind off of it, it seems to stop, only to come RIGHT back if I focus on thinking about it. I just recently figured this out, but I would bet anything in the world that it's not simply an imagined feeling in my mind.

I want to be extremely clear when I say this is not like I "kind" of feel something. If it's happening by my head, my vision will shake with each movement.

If my blanket is close to or touching the ground, it'll also feel as though someone is VERY slightly tugging at my blanket. Again, this is NOT an imagined feeling. They are both extremely clear every night.

At first I was terrified, but as it continued to happen every night, I just simply find it an annoyance now.

Honestly wonder if it's because spend a lot of time watching TV/anime on my computer. Maybe there's a ghost who has nothing to do so enjoys watching it too, and gets upset when I finally go to bed in the AM. (I know, sounds silly)

Anyway, if this could somehow stop I'd be so happy, sometimes it makes it tough to go to bed and I'm sick of wrapping myself in a cocoon with the blanket (don't like the feeling when I'm on the couch and the cushions are being pushed right at the crack between them)

I would love to converse with you about this. I know it dates back from 2014 and pray you still are active. But I could have composed this post word by word. I printed it and read it to my husband and he thought it was something I wrote. I was on my way out the door to see my neurologist who thinks I am nuts...he didn't treat me so poorly when I had him read your post on this...this has been happening to me for the last 3 months. I was curious if you ever found an answer. Thank you.

Edited by MarieVictoria
ommited info

On 4/28/2017 at 2:07 AM, MarieVictoria said:

I would love to converse with you about this. I know it dates back from 2014 and pray you still are active. But I could have composed this post word by word. I printed it and read it to my husband and he thought it was something I wrote. I was on my way out the door to see my neurologist who thinks I am nuts...he didn't treat me so poorly when I had him read your post on this...this has been happening to me for the last 3 months. I was curious if you ever found an answer. Thank you.

Your neurologist thinks you are nuts, does he? Give me a break (or report him to the relevant governing body).  The fact that you would make that claim, and also ignore all of the responses and suggestions posted in this thread, tells me how serious you are.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mavsynchroid

you are not crazy and you are not asleep or having sleep paralysis. It is real. I know because it has been happening to me for a few years. A few years back I awoke to "thumping" sounds and feelings in my bed. It felt like someone was inside the mattress thumping there finger under me from the inside of the mattress. At first I thought it had to be a rat or something.  When I would wake my wife it would stop. It would happen every couple of weeks and one night my wife woke me saying look it's thumping on my side. We realized if we left the bathroom door cracked and the light on then it would never thump that night. We finally got rid of that bed.  It wasn't long before the new bed started doing the same thing. So we just kept the door open and light on and it went away for a few years.  Now we have a bulldog who stays in the bathroom so we ha e the light on and the door shut. After several months of the door shut now the thumping is starting all over again. It's not harmful or painful it just wakes me up usually after 130 in the morning. I've noticed that it comes under my wrist a lot or at my elbow or places that I could be realeasing energy so I'm not 100% sure that it's not my psychic energy escapingy body rather than something trying to get in.  It feels like it's something saying "hey I'm here!"  I really wish it wouldn't wake me up. Normally I just get up and go back to sleep. Sometimes the thumping is lite and sometimes strong. At first it was strong.  My house is new and no one died in it so I'm not thinking ghosts but we lived 1 street over ( for 3 years in a new house almost straight behind a cemetery) until our new bigger house was built so I don't rule out that possibility.  As a side note I have been able to "hear" strange loud "pops" in things as well for years such as walls and tv's ( once a tv was unplugged for 4 months and gave a LOUD pop so it's not the static in a tv) I did notice if I think a very intense thought I would hear pops but they never responded to yes or no questions.

I don't mind the pops and other little things that happen but I really do wish that the thumping would just stop and go away as it is still a little on the scary side since it happens when I'm sleeping and catches me off guard.

Hope this helps if you see this.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:48 PM, WoIverine said:

It's probably just this guy, you'll be fine, really. He's harmless.

Oh how I wish it were not so harmless...

I Google this cuz its happened to me in the past but it was different tonight.. before my bed shook only once or twice on just one or two occacions, so I didn't think much of it... tonight I realized, like u said it is consistant with my heart beat and I figure it is actually me who is shaking myself. I'm 33 years old and my health is not all perfect..I've had history of high colesterol and bit of a fatty liver.. other than that I'm in good shape and skinny by the way..  I think the older we get we my developed a shake or at least what feels like it...

it remind's me of how my eyes zig zag or shake left to right very rapidly for just a second. That's been happening rarely since I was in my teens tho but that's a whole other forum I guess.

hmmm my last post is missing  ...anyway the amount of post and runs make this whole topic look like a troll attempt

You are not alone because this has been happening to me too. Almost every night and I was in a deep sleep last night and could feel it. Have no idea why this is happening and I don't use drug or other electronic vices. 

19 hours ago, Gingle said:

You are not alone because this has been happening to me too. Almost every night and I was in a deep sleep last night and could feel it. Have no idea why this is happening and I don't use drug or other electronic vices. 

You said it yourself. You. Were. Asleep.

I cannot believe the idiocy of this thread and the amount of one time posters. It would be such an easy thing to prove if it were true.

Still not one person has bothered to try and document it, or maybe they all have and realized they were just asleep and are too embarrassed to admit it. 

I've tried to stay away from this thread, but I just can't believe the stupidity.

• Like 1

Thank you. I understand how you feel. 

Wow. I'm a little late on commenting. But this is what I have to say about that:

The same thing has happened and still frequently happens to me. My whole bed will vibrate, like someone is at the end of my bed kicking the corner of my mattress, making it shake. I'm wide awake when this happens and I know it's not a form of sleep paralysis because before it happens, I hear my name being whispered ever so slightly. My heart will begin to race but still I ignore it until it ***** with my bed then I jolt up faster than a ************ paniced, trying to turn on my light. I know it sounds insane but I highly believe it is a negative supernatural force doing this. I understand logistics but I also know what the third eye is (spiritual alcomy). This only happens when I am laying down in my bed, too scared to go to sleep (because crazier things than this occur in my apartment or anywhere I go). I would highly reccomend you look in to your family history, or the history in your apartment. It could be a spirit is attached to you, something in your apartment like an item ( any old furniture or antique) or the spirit, I would hate to say demon, could also have attached itself to you. 

2 hours ago, srsnyder said:

I know it's not a form of sleep paralysis because before it happens, I hear my name being whispered ever so slightly.

??????  Can you explain how that means you know it isn't sleep paralysis?

• Like 2

I'm wide awake when I hear my name being whispered. I ignore it, and seconds later my bed shakes. That's how I know it's not a form of sleep paralysis. 

1 hour ago, srsnyder said:

I'm wide awake when I hear my name being whispered. I ignore it, and seconds later my bed shakes. That's how I know it's not a form of sleep paralysis. 

Or you could be dozing off and having a hypnagogic hallucination. 

No. I understand you're trying to look at if from a logic side, but no. A person knows the difference between being wide awake and dozing off.. I know that I am wide awake when this happens. The whispering, my bed shaking, non of that is a hallucination. And I'm not skitzo either lol. I know what I did or did not hear or feel and I know if I'm completely alert or dozing off. I would like to blame it on sleep paralysis but I've had too many experiences in life with paranormal activity. I've tried to play out logical solutions but non of it matches up.

I would also like to add, before I go to sleep at night, I put my cat in my bedroom and close my door so that she can't get out. I'll pick her up, lay down and begin petting her so that she will be happy and content and eventually curl up in to a ball on my chest. Noises will begin in my front living room then to my kitchen. Footsteps, knocks on my fridge, and occasionally but not often, dishes in my dish drainer falling over inexplainably. My cat will go from purring to all four legs and purky ears, staring wide eyed at my bedroom door. Sometimes it gets so bad, I have to turn my light back on. But I will still hear unintelligle whispering then after very clearly I will hear my name. At first I thought it was white noise from my fan because I always have to have a fan on to sleep. Even on the nights I turn it off, I will still hear the whispering. Only On the nights I spend alone is it this bad, and the paranormal activity is usually most active between 11:30 pm-3:30 am. When My cat stares into what seems like blank space then moves her head like she's  following something can't see. And when I hear my name being called in a whisper but still clearly and she jolts her head then fixates her eyes in the spot I heard my name being called from, it's just a wee bit frightening. I don't think my bed moving is a ccoincidence.. I used to feel momentary indentions on my bed too, like how it feels when someone sits down only no one is there. That hasn't happened in a while though.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, srsnyder said:

No. I understand you're trying to look at if from a logic side, but no. A person knows the difference between being wide awake and dozing off..

That's simply not true.  Research the terms 'lucid', 'active' and 'vivid' in conjunction with 'dreams'.  I've had at least 3 of that type of dream, and they were not only absolutely real, as far as my brain was concerned, but I was also directly participating and directing the content.

There was one I wish I was still in... but I digress... 

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 4:50 PM, S I N said:

hmmm my last post is missing  ...anyway the amount of post and runs make this whole topic look like a troll attempt

These posts are often generated by people who have searched on line for the topics. The posters only hang around for a short time and move on.

I posted on this thread before regarding the punching up of fists on the mattress and bed shaking. It is a real thing and not limited to the one mattress. It happened to me recently when I was in Greenland too, far away from my home. But I think I may have figured out what it is. Search under the effects of vasodilation and see if symptoms fit.  I also noticed with me that what I was feeling as punches were actually just muscle twitching. I could see a twitch on my arm for example.  When your body is on a mattress the twitching actually feels like punching, but uts not.  This twitching I believe is related to anxiety. I understand some people on here are getting angered over the dismissal of sleep paralysis but in the case of the mattress punching, I know it's not sp cause I'm fully awake. I actually wish it were sp but I've never experienced that and I'm given to understand with sp, it's more frightening than what I've been explaining. Anyway hope this helps.

1 hour ago, Ashervon26 said:

I posted on this thread before regarding the punching up of fists on the mattress and bed shaking. It is a real thing and not limited to the one mattress. It happened to me recently when I was in Greenland too, far away from my home. But I think I may have figured out what it is. Search under the effects of vasodilation and see if symptoms fit.  I also noticed with me that what I was feeling as punches were actually just muscle twitching. I could see a twitch on my arm for example.  When your body is on a mattress the twitching actually feels like punching, but uts not.  This twitching I believe is related to anxiety. I understand some people on here are getting angered over the dismissal of sleep paralysis but in the case of the mattress punching, I know it's not sp cause I'm fully awake. I actually wish it were sp but I've never experienced that and I'm given to understand with sp, it's more frightening than what I've been explaining. Anyway hope this helps.

My daughters doctor suggested taking a magnesium supplement because she was having muscle twitches. Maybe it'll help you.

springs and engineering are related to gravity as well as your sense of balance and hallucinating. It wouldn't surprise me if all 4 things were connected. Maybe outside entities attach to your vestibular and cause you to feel where they tell you to feel movement, maybe its a part of your subconscious, maybe the springs can enter seismic vibrations through desire and high hopes.

Edited by trevorhbj

On 7/2/2014 at 10:52 AM, MavSynchroid said:

Hey folks.

So my issue has been going on for a few months at least now, and it happens every single night, to the point where I'm usually not even scared by it. However all in all, it is rather annoying and I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on.

So, to start off, this does not matter whethere I sleep on my bed or on the couch. When I lie down to sleep, after 5-15 minutes, or if I happen to THINK about it (sounds crazy I know), the bed will begin to start off with tiny vibrations, then quickly evolve into what essentially feels like someone pushing up with their fists from under the matress. It's in random spots every night, also at random speeds and pressure. Sometimes the up and down feeling is on par with breathing, and sometimes it feels as fast as someone lightly punching the matress from below me. It'll happen at my head, my feet, my back, and my bottom, all randomly.

The weird thing is, if I can take my mind off of it, it seems to stop, only to come RIGHT back if I focus on thinking about it. I just recently figured this out, but I would bet anything in the world that it's not simply an imagined feeling in my mind.

I want to be extremely clear when I say this is not like I "kind" of feel something. If it's happening by my head, my vision will shake with each movement.

If my blanket is close to or touching the ground, it'll also feel as though someone is VERY slightly tugging at my blanket. Again, this is NOT an imagined feeling. They are both extremely clear every night.

At first I was terrified, but as it continued to happen every night, I just simply find it an annoyance now.

Honestly wonder if it's because spend a lot of time watching TV/anime on my computer. Maybe there's a ghost who has nothing to do so enjoys watching it too, and gets upset when I finally go to bed in the AM. (I know, sounds silly)

Anyway, if this could somehow stop I'd be so happy, sometimes it makes it tough to go to bed and I'm sick of wrapping myself in a cocoon with the blanket (don't like the feeling when I'm on the couch and the cushions are being pushed right at the crack between them)

hello there I am so relieved to do as my sister told me to search the internet about this phenomenon. EVERY LAST THING you described has been happening to me off and on for years at different houses and beds. and your right when I think about it it tends to get more rowdy but when I watch tv or read it simmers down. Also I have been reading the lords prayer, I saged the house , it is also called smudging to remove negative energies. I prayed and prayed and it does seem to weaken it but I just couldn't understand why me? and what does it do for this thing for? to torment me? at night and naps during the day as well.It is obviously attached to me or is following me and I am a single mother with a fifteen month old baby and a nine year old girl and I get so terrified it will affect them some how. At first I told myself a million different reasons what this was, my body having spasms, a fault line, I mean you name it I tried to brush it off as that but after years and now happening at my parents house which I had to move in temporarily due to finances  and how it is so utterly real , now I know I am dealing with something. Other than that I have had my name whispered right into my ear twice  "Corina" I felt the breath of it ands that scared me so much I cried and cried along with knocking on the walls here and there but the bed shaking is now every night and mind you I have been here for a year without incident and it started again out of nowhere just like it had a few years back. I felt alone, I finally told my mom and she has had a few paranormal experiences as have I in the past so she believed me, I just don't know why now it won't stop its been thirty days straight now. Well I have no answer but I feel ten times better knowing I am not alone

Edited by Corinalea
misspelled word and needed to add info

On 5/30/2017 at 2:40 PM, srsnyder said:

No. I understand you're trying to look at if from a logic side, but no. A person knows the difference between being wide awake and dozing off.. I know that I am wide awake when this happens. The whispering, my bed shaking, non of that is a hallucination. And I'm not skitzo either lol. I know what I did or did not hear or feel and I know if I'm completely alert or dozing off. I would like to blame it on sleep paralysis but I've had too many experiences in life with paranormal activity. I've tried to play out logical solutions but non of it matches up.

I would also like to add, before I go to sleep at night, I put my cat in my bedroom and close my door so that she can't get out. I'll pick her up, lay down and begin petting her so that she will be happy and content and eventually curl up in to a ball on my chest. Noises will begin in my front living room then to my kitchen. Footsteps, knocks on my fridge, and occasionally but not often, dishes in my dish drainer falling over inexplainably. My cat will go from purring to all four legs and purky ears, staring wide eyed at my bedroom door. Sometimes it gets so bad, I have to turn my light back on. But I will still hear unintelligle whispering then after very clearly I will hear my name. At first I thought it was white noise from my fan because I always have to have a fan on to sleep. Even on the nights I turn it off, I will still hear the whispering. Only On the nights I spend alone is it this bad, and the paranormal activity is usually most active between 11:30 pm-3:30 am. When My cat stares into what seems like blank space then moves her head like she's  following something can't see. And when I hear my name being called in a whisper but still clearly and she jolts her head then fixates her eyes in the spot I heard my name being called from, it's just a wee bit frightening. I don't think my bed moving is a ccoincidence.. I used to feel momentary indentions on my bed too, like how it feels when someone sits down only no one is there. That hasn't happened in a while though.

I am so with you. I am a very sane very grounded person. I know what I am feeling and hearing and my mother has witnessed it as well. This is a real phenomenon and I have thought maybe its a bored ghost and then more morbidly maybe it is trying to get something from me or my baby who sleeps with me. she now wakes crying and very uncomfortable portable so  put her in her crib. I am so angry this thing is messing with me but if its messing with my baby....god, I just don't know where to turn. I can only hope and pray that my spirit is strong enough to withstand and get rid of this thing whatever it is. your not alone. I am a 34 year old single mama and I am will not let this thing scare me anymore. Like you said it has started to now just be an annoyance!

7 hours ago, Corinalea said:

I am so with you. I am a very sane very grounded person. I know what I am feeling and hearing and my mother has witnessed it as well. This is a real phenomenon and I have thought maybe its a bored ghost and then more morbidly maybe it is trying to get something from me or my baby who sleeps with me. she now wakes crying and very uncomfortable portable so  put her in her crib. I am so angry this thing is messing with me but if its messing with my baby....god, I just don't know where to turn. I can only hope and pray that my spirit is strong enough to withstand and get rid of this thing whatever it is. your not alone. I am a 34 year old single mama and I am will not let this thing scare me anymore. Like you said it has started to now just be an annoyance!

Did you read the thread?  Please do so.

It would be easy to prove or disprove this - as already explained.  If you already have a laptop with a built-in camera it would be free - as described earlier.  If you don't want to take the simple steps to prove it, then that tells us how important (or real) this actually is..