Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Train Puzzle

StarMountainKid

When you roll a wheel on a table the top of the wheel rotates farther than the bottom of the wheel.

I just think it's interesting. Also, the flange on a train wheels does not keep the wheel on the track. The wheels are beveled, so that the two wheels on an axle move laterally, each wheel tries to move inward, the opposite wheel compensating for the other wheel's lateral movement by its own lateral movement.

If you stand in one train car and look at the next car, you'll notice that that car is always moving slightly to the left then to the right. The flange only helps when the car is going around a very sharp turn.

I'm not sure there is any discussion here, it's just interesting to me and probably most don't know this. I had to learn all this myself.

tumblr_mrp3uhBLjI1s6krrko1_250.gif

huh?

• Like 2

huh?

I can't help it, I just like trains.

• Like 4

I can't help it, I just like trains.

I am fanatical about trains too! :tu:

• Like 1

It's my video as well but not really popular because a lack of fun, probably

• Like 1

Trains are great, we took Amtraks Empire Builder from Seattle Washington to the Philadelphia station. It did take 3 days but a very relaxing trip. Does wonders for the blood pressure.

• Like 1

It's my video as well but not really popular because a lack of fun, probably

I should have credited you, you being a UM member, but I didn't think about it at the time. I learned about the beveled train wheels (don't know if I explained it very well) from watching a video by the physicist Richard Feynman of all people.

I'm sure there is some mathematical equation related to the wheel phenomenon. I wonder if sepulchrave has something to say about it.

I'm sure there is some mathematical equation related to the wheel phenomenon. I wonder if sepulchrave has something to say about it.

I don't have much to say about it, it just the addition of circular and linear motion.

The wiki has more info on kinematics and centres of rotation.

• Like 1

Thanks sepulchrave.