Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

German Arrested on Suspicion of Spying

questionmark

BERLIN — A 31-year-old German man was arrested this week on suspicion of spying for a foreign power, and Chancellor Angela Merkel was informed on Thursday, her spokesman said. An official statement from the federal prosecutor’s office did not identify the country involved, but German media, quoting government sources, said that the man had confessed to passing information to the United States.

Ms. Merkel talked to President Obama by phone late on Thursday, her spokesman Steffen Seibert said. Mr. Seibert would not say if the spying case was mentioned during the call. The daily Süddeutsche Zeitung said that the German man, an employee of the Federal Intelligence Service, which routinely deals with foreign intelligence matters, was originally arrested on suspicion of spying for Russia, which German intelligence officials say has markedly stepped up recruitment of German informants in recent months.

Citing unidentified government sources, the newspaper — and two public broadcasters with which it forms an investigative reporting unit — said the arrested man had then admitted that he had been approached several times by United States agents, and had passed information on at least one occasion.

Read more

They still have spies nowadays? have they not heard of the internet and wikileaks?

They still have spies nowadays? have they not heard of the internet and wikileaks?

'I'm sure it was just an accident and it won't happen again, promise' is what Obama will tell Merkel at their next meeting.

• Like 3

Just goes to show the good old spying game is alive and well. Are we to believe Germany doesn't have any spies and are not actively involved in spying on her Allies. :tsu:

• Like 2

Just goes to show the good old spying game is alive and well. Are we to believe Germany doesn't have any spies and are not actively involved in spying on her Allies. :tsu:

Countries spy on those considered to be a threat so that makes me ask why the concern over Germany?

• Like 1

Countries spy on those considered to be a threat so that makes me ask why the concern over Germany?

there are many forms of Spying, from military to foreign and domestic policy, it makes sense to spy on your allies - its a good idea to gather intelligence on Germany policies which could affect your interests, we have to remember Germany is directing an entire continents policies through the means of the EU, so that alone makes Germany a legitimate target.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 2

there are many forms of Spying, from military to foreign and domestic policy, it makes sense to spy on your allies - its a good idea to gather intelligence on Germany policies which could affect your interests, we have to remember Germany is directing an entire continents policies through the means of the EU, so that alone makes Germany a legitimate target.

If we treat them like an opponent we risk turning them into one. I think its best having Germany as a friend especially with their industrial might beginning to remerge. We dont need another large European conflict.

If we treat them like an opponent we risk turning them into one. I think its best having Germany as a friend especially with their industrial might beginning to remerge. We dont need another large European conflict.

Its nothing but a minor diplomatic red face moment, nothing will come of it, it wont change relations with Germany.

in related news:

Germany plans counter-espionage against Britain and US

Chancellor Angela Merkel’s government is planning surveillance of British and American intelligence gathering in Germany for the first time since 1945 in response to an embarrassing US-German “double agent” scandal which has damaged relations between Berlin and Washington.

The unprecedented change to Berlin’s counter-espionage policy was announced by Mrs Merkel’s Interior Minister, Thomas de Maiziere. He told the mass-circulation Bild newspaper that Berlin wanted “360 degree surveillance” of all intelligence gathering operations in Germany.

His announcement came as several MPs in Mrs Merkel’s government demanded the expulsion of the American agents in Germany who last week were found to have used the services of a German “double agent” to obtain secret German intelligence information in return for cash payments.

Read more

There is an saying in America, Turn Coat, meaning those who betray their nation to help another nation while still keeping their status in their nation. Same thing as double agent. Most of these characters actively seek out the other nation, willing to give economic and military secrets, all for selfish motives. America has them, Britain has them, Germany has them, every nation has them. Greed is an human desire that spreads across our species regardless of nation, religion, or race.

• Like 1

Every nation spies on every nation, regardless if they are allies or foes. The extend of spying is the only thing what differs.

Of course it is not right to sell countrymen for money and therefore I do not defend this double-agent.

The headline hysteria against the US however is typicall for the 'We are Back'- mentality which became very common in the German media after 'Reunification'. I personally condemn this strongly and my 'loyalty' to Germany has decreased significantly in the past decades because of this. It is also no coincidence that this comes up during the football world cup when those patridiots are bathing in national ardour.

But it seems to me that this case and the whole NSA/Snowden affair is some kind of political move. It will be interesting to see what Berlin tries to gain with this campaign.

Probably it has (again) something to do with the EU. 'This shows that we need a strong EU...' or something. It also could be an excuse to nationalize the internet for better control and censorship.

There are also many (mostly East-Germans) who want lesser ties with the West and stronger ties with Moscow.

I don't want to be so pessimistic. May be something positive comes out from this. More data security or something...

But I don't believe it...

• Like 1

and looks like they are serious this time:

Anger mounts as Germany unearths second U.S. spy suspect

(Reuters) - German politicians reacted angrily on Wednesday to news of a suspected U.S. spy in the defence ministry, which came days after the arrest of a German foreign intelligence agency worker as a double agent.

After the federal prosecutors said authorities had conducted searches in connection with a second spying case, Chancellor Angela Merkel's coalition partners said Washington should remove any U.S. embassy staff involved and cease spying on its ally.

Security sources told Reuters the latest suspect was from the military and worked in the defence ministry in Berlin, but no arrest appeared to have been made. The ministry confirmed its premises had been searched but gave no further details.

Read more

Every nation spies on every nation, regardless if they are allies or foes. The extend of spying is the only thing what differs.

Of course it is not right to sell countrymen for money and therefore I do not defend this double-agent.

The headline hysteria against the US however is typicall for the 'We are Back'- mentality which became very common in the German media after 'Reunification'. I personally condemn this strongly and my 'loyalty' to Germany has decreased significantly in the past decades because of this. It is also no coincidence that this comes up during the football world cup when those patridiots are bathing in national ardour.

But it seems to me that this case and the whole NSA/Snowden affair is some kind of political move. It will be interesting to see what Berlin tries to gain with this campaign.

Probably it has (again) something to do with the EU. 'This shows that we need a strong EU...' or something. It also could be an excuse to nationalize the internet for better control and censorship.

There are also many (mostly East-Germans) who want lesser ties with the West and stronger ties with Moscow.

I don't want to be so pessimistic. May be something positive comes out from this. More data security or something...

But I don't believe it...

I think Germany will demand the same level of respect that the US shows its other allies. We are all mean't to be partners afterall.

Dont antagonise what will become a powerful country, keep it as a friend!

and looks like they are serious this time:

well something must be going on in Germany, if the US are spying, the question should be what is going on in Germany what are the Germans upto?

well something must be going on in Germany, if the US are spying, the question should be what is going on in Germany what are the Germans upto?

What are you up to that the NSA and the GCHQ are spying on your internet communications?

Secret nuclear weapons program and remilitarisation for them to go take back their land from Poland? lol

• Like 2

Secret nuclear weapons program and remilitarisation for them to go take back their land from Poland? lol

Must be something else... not so long ago we had a statement of Lech Walesa on these pages that Germany and Poland should "unite to one country"... go figure...

and the story goes on:

(Reuters) - Germany has asked a U.S. intelligence official at the embassy in Berlin to leave the country in connection with investigations into suspected American spying in Germany, a German government spokesman said on Thursday.

Read more

and the story goes on:

the Germans are definitely up to something, something they don't even want any of their allies knowing.

the Germans are definitely up to something, something they don't even want any of their allies knowing.

Do you think they have comical war room conference going on Dr Strangelove style?

Do you think they have comical war room conference going on Dr Strangelove style?

in a word Yes.

• Like 1

in a word Yes.

OMG I so embarressed. They been tapping my calls and know all our secret plans. How awkward lol.

• Like 1

Can you specify this or is that just a speculativ claim? And, do you think that we do have to accept or that it is legitimate

that the US government spy on our government by using members of the German government?

Can you specify this or is that just a speculativ claim? And, do you think that we do have to accept or that it is legitimate

that the US government spy on our government by using members of the German government?

Oh its purely speculative, I havent a clue what's going on, just like everyone else on here, and No, well, Yes i do think its legitimate that the US government spy on your government using members of the German Government. its a geopolitical game that's been going on since, well forever. What you have to realise is the power Germany has being the leading country in Europe and leader of the European Union/EuroZone. Its no secret Germany is responsible for influencing wider EU policy, when you have that much power and control over 27 member states and 500 million people, other countries are going to take an interest in German policy. it comes with the territory. there will probably be British, French, Russia, Chinese, Indian, spies in Germany aswell all gauging German policy. Its nothing new. all over the world spies are coming and going every day of the week, and its not like they do it secretly either they'll travel using their real names and passports and governments will know they've arrived and simply monitor their movements, most of the spying is mundane stuff and they leave without incident. I honestly dont know why people or worse governments get upset. we all know it goes on.

Oh its purely speculative, I havent a clue what's going on, just like everyone else on here, and No, well, Yes i do think its legitimate that the US government spy on your government using members of the German Government. its a geopolitical game that's been going on since, well forever. What you have to realise is the power Germany has being the leading country in Europe and leader of the European Union/EuroZone. Its no secret Germany is responsible for influencing wider EU policy, when you have that much power and control over 27 member states and 500 million people, other countries are going to take an interest in German policy. it comes with the territory. there will probably be British, French, Russia, Chinese, Indian, spies in Germany aswell all gauging German policy. Its nothing new. all over the world spies are coming and going every day of the week, and its not like they do it secretly either they'll travel using their real names and passports and governments will know they've arrived and simply monitor their movements, most of the spying is mundane stuff and they leave without incident. I honestly dont know why people or worse governments get upset. we all know it goes on.

Why dont the US and Germany just agree to spy on each other?