Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

first amendment: left vs right concept of

danielost

The first amendment has three rights in it. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press.

The left concept of freedom of speach , you have freedom of speech as long as I agree with you.

The rights concept of freedom of speech, I disagree with you but will defend your freedom of speech.

The lefts concept of freedom of religion, as long as you keep it behind closed doors.

The rights concept of freedom of religion, you can practice it in the public square as long your not trying to cause a riot.

Both concept of freedom of press, control it.

• Like 3

There are actually six specific things mentioned in the first amendment, not three. Why not read it before trying to bait people into an agruement in your thread?

• Like 2

The rights concept of freedom of religion, you can practice it in the public square as long your not trying to cause a riot as I agree with it (and it's Christian).

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 3

There are actually six specific things mentioned in the first amendment, not three. Why not read it before trying to bait people into an agruement in your thread?

Wouldnt meantioning the other 3 just make it that much worse? I agree with his analisis so far. I agree with Rlyeh as well. Many Christians do seem to have a problem with other's expressing their religious freedoms in the public square. Not that they try to stop it, but often feel they have to counter it basically in protest. Which is within their rights, but strange none the less.

Edited by preacherman76

The first amendment has three rights in it. Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of the press.

The left concept of freedom of speach , you have freedom of speech as long as I agree with you.

The rights concept of freedom of speech, I disagree with you but will defend your freedom of speech.

The lefts concept of freedom of religion, as long as you keep it behind closed doors.

The rights concept of freedom of religion, you can practice it in the public square as long your not trying to cause a riot.

Both concept of freedom of press, control it.

Rarely have I seen more self serving BS
  • Like 2

Oh, the left sucks? Very original and thought provoking thread.

You need a hobby.

• Like 6

The six rights of the first amendment: 1) Prohibiting any law respecting the establishment of a religion

2) The right to free exercise of religion

3) The right to free speech

4) Freedom of press

5) Right to peaceful assembly

6) Right to governmental redress of grievances.

• Like 3

I do have to ask though. If the right wing is as you say Danie, then why are they fighting the satanic statue in Oklahoma?

• Like 4

Wouldnt meantioning the other 3 just make it that much worse? I agree with his analisis so far. I agree with Rlyeh as well. Many Christians do seem to have a problem with other's expressing their religious freedoms in the public square. Not that they try to stop it, but often feel they have to counter it basically in protest. Which is within their rights, but strange none the less.

He started from an incorrect premise. No law respecting an establishment of religion is a pretty big thing to leave out as it ties directly to his mention of practicing religion in the public square.

Free assembly is another big right that he decides not to mention, along with petitioning the government for a redress of grievances, though even I find that one laughable today.

Besides, this is just another "I hate the left" thread. This is more suited to a blog post than a thread that has no real merit in discussing.

We get it already. There are people on here that don't like liberals.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

The rights concept of freedom of religion, you can practice it in the public square as long your not trying to cause a riot as I agree with it (and it's Christian).

The only religion their trying to keep out of the public square is christian. It also says the government shall not establish a religion, Atheism is a religion.

He started from an incorrect premise. No law respecting an establishment of religion is a pretty big thing to leave out as it ties directly to his mention of practicing religion in the public square.

Free assembly is another big right that he decides not to mention, along with petitioning the government for a redress of grievances, though even I find that one laughable today.

Besides, this is just another "I hate the left" thread. This is more suited to a blog post than a thread that has no real merit in discussing.

We get it already. There are people on here that don't like liberals.

It also says government cannot stop a religion from being practiced. Which would include if it is in the public square. You want to stop Christians and out prayer sinks in for the Muslims. So they can wash their feet before praying.

It also says government cannot stop a religion from being practiced. Which would include if it is in the public square. You want to stop Christians and out prayer sinks in for the Muslims. So they can wash their feet before praying.

What?

The only religion their trying to keep out of the public square is christian. It also says the government shall not establish a religion, Atheism is a religion.

Atheism is absolutely not a religion.
  • Like 2

Let's make it a Religion:

Lots of problems with this. Making all kinds of jabs about how one's personal beliefs are different from the establishment beliefs is well and good. But if atheists really wanted to challenge religion, making atheism a religion would be one way to do it.

If atheism is a religion, not being sick is a disease

• Like 2

It also says government cannot stop a religion from being practiced. Which would include if it is in the public square. You want to stop Christians

Which is exactly why they've said saying a prayer before governmental meetings is forbidden... wait no. the other thing - mandatory. That's right.

Daniel, please re-read the forum guidelines again, specifically the second one. It's clear you are promoting an agenda. Continue to do so and I will start editing your posts.

• Like 3

Actually the right's been busy causing a riot themselves about another superstition from the Middle East that's a little bit different from theirs. Dressing up like an Imam and preaching to right wingers would be a hella funny prank idea.

The initial post was a straw man argument. It's hard to build a decent argument based on a critical thinking error.

• Like 4

First off let me say Atheism is not a religion but merely an absence of belief in any particular doctrine. Secondly the government in conjunction with your American supreme court tries to tow the fine line between separation of church and state in order to keep everyone rights upheld.

Yeah..Christians are really running roughshod over the public these days! Gotta watch those pesky evangelicals oh boy..

Yeah..Christians are really running roughshod over the public these days! Gotta watch those pesky evangelicals oh boy..

At last we agree, oh wait you were being sarcastic-huh?

Whadda ya mean "these days?" Ralph Reed & the Heritage Foundation & the conservative Christian right/evangelicals were a force in politics way before the tea party.

• Like 1

I remember the hoopla when Alabama had a monument with the 10 commandments displayed in the Alabama Supreme Court building. IIRC they were forced to remove the monument as being in violation of the 1st amendment. Funny thing is the US Supreme Court building has lots of biblical references such as the engraving of Moses, and the 10 Commandments. Do we need a new US Supreme Court building?

Not a building, just some new supremes! From a Wiki article about Ralph Reed, the evangelical Christian activist: The Coalition organized former Robertson supporters and other religious conservatives to oppose political liberalism. Eschewing confrontational tactics of street protest learned in college, Reed attempted to project a "softer" public face for Christian conservatism, self-described as "guerrilla", putting "enemies" in "body bags" before they even realized he had struck.[10]

Edited by Beany