Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Murder House

alibongo

Does anyone know if the FX channel series " The Murder House" (1st season of American Horror Story) was based on a real house and actual events like the Amityville Horror?

Well, Amityville Horror was a hoax and there are not actual events....

But to my understanding, season one is not based on a real house with real events. Rather, it pulled from a handful of stories and was fictionalized into a cohesive whole. The house used in the filming is a real house- for the pilot at least. It was built by architect Alfred Rosenheim. The rest of the season was filmed in a replica set. No, the real house is not a murder house, nor is it reputed to be haunted at all.

• Like 4

Yeah, the Amityville Horror was a hoax, the family later confessed to having lied about it all.

Want to read more about that? Check this out!

• Like 3

But I want to belive it is true.Perhaps it is an amalgam on real events that took place in nearby houses?

If you want to believe something that's up to you, but the show was a piece of fiction using some elements of actual life.

In the sense that, school shootings happen, there was one in the show.

or teenage suicide happens, there's one in the show. that kind of thing

• Like 3

But I want to belive it is true.Perhaps it is an amalgam on real events that took place in nearby houses?

Nope. Not amalgam of stuff in nearby houses either. The writers drew inspiration in that there are houses out there that murder took place, from crimes of the past, and a goodly bit of old fashioned ghost and urban legend scary. It's inspired by, not directly true story being retold or dramatized.

If you want to believe, no one can stop you- but keep in mind you would be believing in a total fabrication and fictionalization that is only loosely inspired by a lot of other various stories both real and false.

• Like 1

But if it wasn't true, why was a tour bus stopping outside it describing the crimes?And why was the house undervalued cf with similar houses?

But if it wasn't true, why was a tour bus stopping outside it describing the crimes?And why was the house undervalued cf with similar houses?

Because the tour was part of the script. It was a creation of the writers imaginations. They drew inspiration from real tours because some folks are really interested in death and ghost stories, and other folks are willing to charge for it. The house in the story was on sale in 2011 for 4.5 million, which is a good price for the area- it was NOT undervalued. The undervalue story was purely made up for the show- because sometimes a home will get undervalued if it's infamous. Sometimes an infamous property gets overvalued too.

• Like 2

You do realize the tour bus was part of the show, right? The house is very real and has been used in many films and TV shows over the last 50 years. If there are tour buses they are there because it is such a popular film location.

There is an old murder house in the mid west a family was killed in the 20's I guess. I saw it on ghost adventures lol

There is an old murder house in the mid west a family was killed in the 20's I guess. I saw it on ghost adventures lol

Do you mean the Villisca house?

That was actually in 1912.

http://iowacoldcases.org/case-summaries/villisca-axe-murders/

You can probably find a murder house pretty much anywhere there have been people.

You can probably find a murder house pretty much anywhere there have been people.

Hehehe, I dunno about that- four of the houses I've lived in have been natural death houses rather than murder :P

But I want to belive it is true.

Wanting something to be true does not mean it is. I want to believe that i can fly and turn things into pudding.

Ok, There is a thing called lying and making money. It's a new concept.

• Like 2

Hehehe, I dunno about that- four of the houses I've lived in have been natural death houses rather than murder :P

Sorry, I probably should have been more specific. I mean any community not any house.

• Like 1

Sorry, I probably should have been more specific. I mean any community not any house.

I was just teasing ya sin. Both of us have good points that most places with dwellings also have deaths- by natural causes and by murder.

Which is interesting- the fake tour made up for the TV show is purportedly based off a real tour company- Dearly Departed Tours. They have both murders and natural deaths. Like the Manson murders and the deaths of Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson. They even have a gallery with death memorabilia from the celebrities.

• Like 1