Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bush 'Picks New Attorney General'

Guest Lottie

US President George W Bush has chosen White House legal counsel Alberto Gonzales as his new attorney general.

A close Bush ally from Texas, Mr Gonzales, 49, has been named to replace John Ashcroft, who resigned on Tuesday.

If his nomination is confirmed by the Senate, Mr Gonzales will become the most senior person of Hispanic descent in the administration.

The move is seen as part of a reshuffle of Mr Bush's cabinet for his second four-year term.

Speaking of Mr Gonzales, Mr Bush said, "His sharp intellect and sound judgement have helped shaped our policies in the war on terror".

'Stuck to his views'

Mr Gonzales, who grew up in a poor Mexican American family and went on to attend Harvard Law School, is a long-time friend of President Bush, the BBC's Justin Webb in Washington says.

Our correspondent says Mr Gonzales has been a central figure in the administration's debate over interrogation techniques for prisoners held in the war on terrorism.

He was criticised by some human rights groups after writing a memo to the president in which he described the Geneva Conventions as "quaint".

The memo came to light after Iraq's Abu Ghraib prison-abuse scandal.

Mr Gonzalez has stuck to his views, though he has also made it clear that he does not approve of torture.

His appointment suggests that, as expected, senior posts in the Bush cabinet in his second term will be held by loyalists close to the President and to his way of thinking, our correspondent adds.

Source

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bathory

• wunarmdscissor

• DC09

• Angelofmercy

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy spoke in May at the commencement of my College. I went to see some friend's graduate. I had never really heard about him until then. His presence made quite a stir and there were some protests

However after listening to him speak, I have a lot of respect for this man. Sometimes it helps to realize that people in high positions are just that, people. You may not always agree with them, but they deserve respect just like anyone else

I really liked Gonzales when i heard him speak at commencement. I am interested to see how he does

those racist republicans sure have a habit of appointing minorities to high places:P

352326[/snapback]

Actually, Bush has one of the most diverse cabinets ever. thumbsup.gif

Of course nobody ever acknowledges this. rolleyes.gif

Oddly enough, it's the dems who seem intent on keeping minorities out of office. huh.gif