Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Missing Woman, 7/4/14, Central PA

2-B

Susan Bachman, 37, jumped out of her parents' moving vehicle last Friday morning while en route to Clarion, PA for voluntary hospitalization for mental health issues. She hit the pavement, rolled, but regained her footing and was last seen running into the woods. A search on Friday was begun almost immediately but suspended after five hours. Her wallet and cell phone were found in a barn during Friday's search.

Another search is planned for Monday 7/7. Details available in link below for any area folks who want to help along with other details.

Please keep Susan and her family in your prayers.

http://www.findsusanbachman.com/?m=1

• Like 2

Hope they can find her soon and safe.

• Like 3

Just a few hours from where I live. Hope she's okay and they find her soon.

Sometimes people will change their minds about hospitalization and take drastic measures. My parents once gave a ride to a patient who had escaped from a local state hospital though they didn't know it at the time. Another time one walked from the hospital to my dad's work place and pretended she didn't speak English and needed a ride.

Sometimes they just want to escape. Hope she's okay.

• Like 2

Just a few hours from where I live. Hope she's okay and they find her soon.

Sometimes people will change their minds about hospitalization and take drastic measures. My parents once gave a ride to a patient who had escaped from a local state hospital though they didn't know it at the time. Another time one walked from the hospital to my dad's work place and pretended she didn't speak English and needed a ride.

Sometimes they just want to escape. Hope she's okay.

I was wondering this morning if she might have doubled back to the road and been picked up by someone. Her brother has some theories about places she might head that would require travel by vehicle. Today's volunteer search will be starting up shortly, and I hope some kind of clues turn up. The two real dangers in my mind would be that she had internal injuries from the leap out of the car (which weren't initially fatal but caused internal bleeding) or that the leap from the car was intended not for escape but for suicide and she has since completed the act.

If you watch the WTAJ clip, you can see how devastated her mother is.

A quick summary of yesterday's events in this case:

The main search at the spot Susan exited the car, involving about 60 volunteers, turned up nothing new. This may actually be good because it clears that area and allows the search to move elsewhere with some hope that she may be alive.

A second search involved scent dogs being taken to a place approximately nine miles from the main search site as the result of a tip that came in Monday morning. A driver reported seeing a woman on the side of the road at about 3 a.m. When the driver slowed down, the woman ran into the woods. None of the three dogs taken to the area found Susan's scent at that scene, however.

Please continue to keep Susan and her family in your prayers.

Some encouraging news came this afternoon in Susan's case. A dog with specialized skills was brought in to the case. This particular dog found a strong scent for Susan in the barn area where she left her wallet and cell phone, and the dog took off running in the same direction the 9 a.m. Friday witness (barn owner) saw Susan running.

The dog followed a trail Susan's brother has called "covert" and the kind of path he'd expect his sister to travel if she wanted to stay out of sight. The dog handler believes Susan got into a vehicle in the Route 28/322 area heading south toward Pittsburgh.

Her flyer is available on findsusanbachman.com and on the Facebook group page (accessible from link above). If you are from that area or have friends in that area, can you please share? Maybe we can help find the driver who picked Susan up Friday morning, unaware she may be a danger to herself.

Thanks for anything you can do to help this family find the daughter/sister they love so much.

• Like 1

any news on her ?

Thanks for asking, CLO. She hasn't yet been found, but Saturday's dog search produced specific information which the family has now released at http://www.findsusanbachman.com/2014/07/maps-of-path-susan-bachman-is-believed.html?m=1.

That page includes three maps which are helpful for non-locals. Sarah Platts of VK9 Scent Specific Search and Rescue (my Gricar friends have heard me mention this group) and her dog Sam worked Susan's trail and followed her scent as far as Kittanning (see maps), where the search had to be curtailed for safety's sake. Based on the last positive scent identification, Susan is presumed to have continued on the same trajectory southwest from Kittanning toward Pittsburgh.

The next step is to locate the driver who picked Susan up on the morning on 7/4 and gave her the ride. This may be someone who was passing through PA who is completely unaware he/she gave a lift to a missing person. The smallest detail may help reunite this family with the daughter/sister they love so much.

Edited by 2-B
  • Like 2

Just an aside for anyone who is interested, here's the website for VK9 Scent Specific Search and Recovery Unit. They're the most cutting edge, professional scent dog group I'm aware of, and they really proved themselves in this case!

http://www.vk9sar.org

Edited by 2-B
  • Like 1

i read they "know" she was given a lift in a car........?????

any news on this??

She is not the only one missing a female went missing from wal-mart in state college I think around march she had some beauty about her what happen not sure you dont here much about her as to the other female yes 2-b about the dogs I think a week later the dogs were brought in and they did pick up her sent I seen it on tv-10 over the years around here with some of the females that went missing I thought someone was useing center as a play ground for there own use it still could be

Uhhmmm, I think they are missing the most crucial information about the report and it is the clothes of the said Susan wearing that day. She can't just buy a new dress without her purse right?

Uhhmmm, I think they are missing the most crucial information about the report and it is the clothes of the said Susan wearing that day. She can't just buy a new dress without her purse right?

From the flyer...

"Clothing: Last seen wearing blue jeans, a long sleeve blue and white flannel shirt and brown sneakers"

I think the greatest hope for her is that she recovers from the psychotic episode and comes forward herself. This is not to say the efforts to locate her are not necessary (they most certainly are) but she is 37 and may very well be mentally competent when not in a psychotic state of mind. We don't know much about her history unfortunately, which would help us understand the context of this voluntary psychiatric appointment. My extremely facile analysis is that a woman of her description would stand out, particularly if she was still psychotic. In other words, it doesn't seem very likely that she could hide in plain sight, hitchhiking and such. This is why I say the greatest hope is that she comes out of hiding on her own.

• 4 weeks later...

There has been what may be a promising lead in Susan's case--a very credible sounding sighting in Indiana (the state, not Indiana, PA).

Details are available on FindSusanBachman.com and on her Facebook page.

I'm well aware how often sightings of missing people turn out to be nothing, so optimism is cautious here, but details of the sighting are encouraging and point toward credibility.

The one worrisome aspect: if the sighting is true, we have a mentally/emotionally fragile woman traveling cross-country by hitching rides with truck drivers. Many/most are undoubtedly good family men just trying to earn a living, but as we're well aware, some women (and men) have died at the hands of the few who are not. Hitching rides with **any** stranger is just not a safe idea in my not so humble opinion....

• 1 year later...

A very sad outcome :( Sad they couldn't have found her earlier ( she was found in woods near where she was last seen.) to save her from her injuries, that may have caused her death.

Edited by docyabut2