Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Murderer gets only 5years and three months!

George Ford

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/sean-sillet-jailed-attacking-kenneth-7383139

He has 27 previous convictions, he is clearly an idiot and a danger to the general public and he murdered someone for no reason. Yet he only gets a 5 year 3 months sentence. That's really not fair!

• Like 1

It's unbelievable, these judges, you'll find that the previous convictions wont be taken into account, and also the fact that when he punched the man he didnt intend to kill him. its bonkers.

• Like 1

http://www.chronicle...kenneth-7383139

He has 27 previous convictions, he is clearly an idiot and a danger to the general public and he murdered someone for no reason. Yet he only gets a 5 year 3 months sentence. That's really not fair!

It makes absolutely no sense to me either... time off for good behaviour equals 33 months in jail - for taking a life!!

• Like 1

http://www.chronicle...kenneth-7383139

Its not murder its assault which ended in death. Thats manslaughter.

• Like 4

Quite so, and on it's intended merits the punishment would fit the crime. aka: Average Joe Citizen would not have the intent to cause grievous bodily harm much less death in throwing the average punch and the mortification he would feel at the unintended result is taken into consideration.

This is not Average Joe, this is a violent man who will brag about this and how he got off for it - if he had the capacity to be rehabilitated it would have shown itself in restraint.

• Like 2

Reluctantly, I agree... Though I believe the young man should serve the entire time, and not be granted any time off of "good behaviour"...

And once released be required to get psychiatric help for his stupid temper... Though a big part of me wishes it was for FAR longer than 5 years 3 months...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

bulveye if you believe that the sentence is unduly lenient then may I suggest that a more productive use of your time would be writing a letter to the Attorney General and/or the CPS to get the sentence reviewed.

Reluctantly, I agree... Though I believe the young man should serve the entire time, and not be granted any time off of "good behaviour"...

I used to think this until I watched a program on the prison service. The problem with not allowing time of for good behaviour is that there is no incentive for a prisoner to behave which would make to job of prison officers far more difficult.

What I do think UK judges should be allowed to do is give US style sentences stating minimum and maximum length, e.g. 3-5 years. This would not alter prison sentences but would be easier for the public to understand and would not give the impression that prisoners were being let out early.

And once released be required to get psychiatric help for his stupid temper...

I couldn't agree more.

Though a big part of me wishes it was for FAR longer than 5 years 3 months...

I also agree. He may not have intended to kill but he did intend to injure.

• Like 2

I get so mad when see similar news, and i see those too often in my area ( its normal to get 3 years of prison for murder here, mostly its around 3-5 years ). To take someones life and get anything less then 20 years of prison is not punishment its actually a message for every mad idiot out there - ' You can kill - we offer 5 years of free meals, gym's, healthcare and much more, all u have to do is check in - you know the way '.

• Like 2

Yet again another case the killers human rights take priority over the crime.

Judges know that tougher sentences will simply be overturned so no longer bother giving criminals what they deserve.

• Like 1

nothing to do with human rights, manslaughter cases get few years in prison

Quite so, and on it's intended merits the punishment would fit the crime. aka: Average Joe Citizen would not have the intent to cause grievous bodily harm much less death in throwing the average punch and the mortification he would feel at the unintended result is taken into consideration.

This is not Average Joe, this is a violent man who will brag about this and how he got off for it - if he had the capacity to be rehabilitated it would have shown itself in restraint.

We had two rival football fans in a pub near me which had a fight. One punched, the other guy fell backwards hitting his head on the curb and then he died two days later in hospital. People, even violant people, don't expect to kill someone from swapping some punches. They might intend to give someone a good beating but that isn't murder.

One punch is common assault and the unfortunate death is unintentional. Many would get two years for it not five.

I say its murder, it was not a spur of the moment pub fight. This animal was yelling threats and then waited outside to stalk his victim. Plus it is obvious if you punch an old man you have a high chance of accidentally killing him. I'm actually going to see my local MP next Sunday to see who I need to write a letter to so that the case can be reviewed. I'm going to insist that it be looked at as murder and insist that the general public will not be safe with this man back out on the streets so soon. There are some people that can extend a prison sentence but I can't remember who.

• Like 1

I say its murder, it was not a spur of the moment pub fight. This animal was yelling threats and then waited outside to stalk his victim. Plus it is obvious if you punch an old man you have a high chance of accidentally killing him. I'm actually going to see my local MP next Sunday to see who I need to write a letter to so that the case can be reviewed. I'm going to insist that it be looked at as murder and insist that the general public will not be safe with this man back out on the streets so soon. There are some people that can extend a prison sentence but I can't remember who.

Im sure the victims family will also ask for the judgement to be reviewed.

Murder is when you set out to kill someone. Manslaughter is when you kill someone without meaning to. The article says the guy only punched him once, he fell backwards and hit his head. If he had intented to murder him would he have stopped after seeing him hit his head? Or would he have continued?

Two years is a normal sentence for common assault gone wrong. The judge does take into account the impact on the victims family and the criminals state of mind during the incident. Thats probably why the offender has been given five years and I think a review of the case is unlilely to result in that sentence being extended.

I think most men have been angry at some point and exchanged punches with someone. We don't expect to cause someones death though and would be mortified if we did.

Murder is when you set out to kill someone. Manslaughter is when you kill someone without meaning to. The article says the guy only punched him once, he fell backwards and hit his head. If he had intented to murder him would he have stopped after seeing him hit his head? Or would he have continued?

Two years is a normal sentence for common assault gone wrong. The judge does take into account the impact on the victims family and the criminals state of mind during the incident. Thats probably why the offender has been given five years and I think a review of the case is unlilely to result in that sentence being extended.

I think most men have been angry at some point and exchanged punches with someone. We don't expect to cause someones death though and would be mortified if we did.

But most people dont have a long history or 27 previous convictions, this man is clearly a wronging, i bet if we had access to his files we'd see a steady progression of minor first offences which as ultimately ended in the death of another person. but these thugs seem to get chance after chance, after chance.

• Like 1