Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Washington Post's new bombshell blasts NSA

Raptor Witness

In NSA-intercepted data, those not targeted far outnumber the foreigners who are - Washington Post, July 5, 2014

Highlights:

"Nine of 10 account holders found in a large cache of intercepted conversations, which former NSA contractor Edward Snowden provided in full to The Post, were not the intended surveillance targets but were caught in a net the agency had cast for somebody else."

"Many other files, described as useless by the analysts but nonetheless retained, have a startlingly intimate, even voyeuristic quality. They tell stories of love and heartbreak, illicit sexual liaisons, mental-health crises, political and religious conversions, financial anxieties and disappointed hopes. The daily lives of more than 10,000 account holders who were not targeted are catalogued and recorded nevertheless."

"Among the latter are medical records sent from one family member to another,"

"Scores of pictures show infants and toddlers in bathtubs, on swings, sprawled on their backs and kissed by their mothers. In some photos, men show off their physiques. In others, women model lingerie, leaning suggestively into a webcam or striking risque poses in shorts and bikini tops."

"By law, the NSA may “target” only foreign nationals located overseas unless it obtains a warrant based on probable cause from a special surveillance court."

• Like 1

Ever since Glenn Greenwald backed down from his 4th of July "fireworks finale," no doubt after being coerced, we've been waiting with baited breath for him to pony up.

Finally, we're getting a watered down version of what can only be described as the sparklers, instead. You remember, those little handheld, glittering wands that go nowhere, but can nevertheless burn the hell of you.

I wrote my Senator and Congressman today, to obtain my NSA file, under the Freedom of Information Act, before it ends up in the hands of the Washington Post. I'll bet I never hear back from them, despite their solemn oath to protect my privacy.

This story reminds of the scene from the Tom Cruise movie The Firm, where he and the FBI agent are at a dog track, and where the agent ... unknowing is being recorded, and tells Cruise's character ....

Mitch McDeere: I haven't done anything, and you know it!

Wayne Tarrance: Who gives a f*^k? I'm a federal agent! You know what that means, you lowlife motherf^*k^r? It means you've got no rights, your life is mine! I could kick your teeth down your throat and yank 'em out your azzh8le, and I'm not even violating your civil rights!

Here's the clip, which is a classic:

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

I wrote my Senator and Congressman today, to obtain my NSA file, under the Freedom of Information Act, before it ends up in the hands of the Washington Post. I'll bet I never hear back from them, despite their solemn oath to protect my privacy.

This.

Large shadowy organization tramples over our civil liberties...check.

Large shadowy organization with little or no actual oversight abuses its powers.....check.

I am not even a conspiracy person. There is no conspiracy. Just a Large shadowy organization protecting America by violating all of its laws and the principals upon which it was founded.

• Like 2

Large shadowy organization tramples over our civil liberties...check.

Large shadowy organization with little or no actual oversight abuses its powers.....check.

I am not even a conspiracy person. There is no conspiracy. Just a Large shadowy organization protecting America by violating all of its laws and the principals upon which it was founded.

Here's the reply that I received from the less than Honorable Sen. Lindsey Graham yesterday. Keep in mind, I'm generally a fan of his; because of his big mouth, which he has had to watch of late, given that he's up for re-election.

What do we see here that he may need to revise in his form letter? His lack of oversight, perhaps?

Dear Neo Moses:

Thank you for contacting me with your thoughts regarding National Security Agency (NSA) counter-terrorism data collection programs. I appreciate the opportunity to hear from you on this issue.

Radical Islam is on the rise throughout parts of the world and homegrown terrorism is one of my biggest concerns. The NSA data collection programs try to find out what terrorists are up to overseas and inside the country. They receive oversight from all three branches of government and are an effective counter-terrorism tool. That being said, to protect the rights of United States citizens, the NSA must operate within the confines of the Constitution. As the Senate considers this issue I will keep your comments in mind.

My job as your United States Senator is to represent your interests. While I cannot guarantee we will see eye-to-eye on every issue, I can guarantee you I will give your thoughts and opinions the consideration they deserve. Hearing directly from you about the problems facing our nation helps me better serve constituents like you, and the people of South Carolina as a whole. I hope you will always feel free to pick up the phone, write, or email about this, or any other issue, that comes before the Senate.

If you are online, I would also encourage you to visit my website -http://lgraham.senate.gov- as it will have information on the most recent activities before the Senate. While there you can also sign up for our e-mail newsletter, Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube pages which will provide the latest information, and my up-to-the-minute views on the major issues facing our nation.

Thank you again for taking time from your busy day to contact my office. I look forward to hearing from you again in the future and truly appreciate the opportunity to represent your interests in the United States Senate.

Sincerely,

signature.gif

Lindsey O. Graham

United States Senator

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

Graham's response sounds almost exactly the same as the responses of my congresscritters over the years. Lip service and Pablum, nothing more. A defense of the status quo.

As to the thread topic, I'm surprised that WaPo did the article, government lapdog it is.

It shows how Big Brother works, gathering the papers and effects of citizens as it pleases. :td:

Graham's response sounds almost exactly the same as the responses of my congresscritters over the years. Lip service and Pablum, nothing more. A defense of the status quo.

As to the thread topic, I'm surprised that WaPo did the article, government lapdog it is.

It shows how Big Brother works, gathering the papers and effects of citizens as it pleases. :td:

I was surprised that my representative in the House has a person who is allocated to handle such matters. There too, I'm not expecting a robust reply.

I'm used to political rhetoric, but I'm less worried about the Islamic radicals who just want to be able to dress their women as they please than I am about right wing Christians who still believe the dinosaurs were in the Garden of Eden.

It's convenient that they don't believe in fossils or the danger of fossil fuels.

The dead will be piled up to the sky before they think to ask where, when, and why.

• Like 1

NSA reminds me of a cat i had when i was a kid, my grandmother always used to scream at him, and kick him out of kitchen cuz he used to jump on the dining table and take whatever was there, she yelled screamed, slap him with a towel, but he kept doing what he was doing, regardless how hard my grandma "asked him to get off the table". she was not concearned with what he took, but she hated when a cat that just stepped in his own pee and poop, walked on the table where we ate.

same here people object, media objects, even some politicdian make it look like they object, but NSa could not care less, they keep doing it.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

Roger that Aztek, government out of control. The 800 pound gorilla doing as it damn well pleases.

In NSA-intercepted data, those not targeted far outnumber the foreigners who are - Washington Post, July 5, 2014

Highlights:

"Nine of 10 account holders found in a large cache of intercepted conversations, which former NSA contractor Edward Snowden provided in full to The Post, were not the intended surveillance targets but were caught in a net the agency had cast for somebody else."

"Many other files, described as useless by the analysts but nonetheless retained, have a startlingly intimate, even voyeuristic quality. They tell stories of love and heartbreak, illicit sexual liaisons, mental-health crises, political and religious conversions, financial anxieties and disappointed hopes. The daily lives of more than 10,000 account holders who were not targeted are catalogued and recorded nevertheless."

"Among the latter are medical records sent from one family member to another,"

"Scores of pictures show infants and toddlers in bathtubs, on swings, sprawled on their backs and kissed by their mothers. In some photos, men show off their physiques. In others, women model lingerie, leaning suggestively into a webcam or striking risque poses in shorts and bikini tops."

"By law, the NSA may “target” only foreign nationals located overseas unless it obtains a warrant based on probable cause from a special surveillance court."

Someday, that information may come in handy for the NSA to use against a citizen, so for that reason it will be kept.

Anyone who thinks that they are not being eavesdropped is not living in the real world.

For example, next time you call a friend, inject into the conversation the words Jihad, bomb, airport, and see how long it takes to start hearing strange clicks on your phone and see cars or vans parked around your block.

And as for the law, the CIA isn't permitted to operate against US citizens on sovereign soil, but who really believes that they don't.

Edited by toyomotor

"Raptor Witness" whispered into electronic devices probably sets off a veritable blizzard at Ft. Meade, because after all, the post below was the first time I had ever issued a forecast for the NSA.

I've heard that even "Follow the Yellow Brick Road," makes their servers spin like crazy.

As for the CIA, those are army boys and they don't work at home much. I like them best of all.

Post 458 March 3, 2012 - Raptor Witness

Above and below, horizon to horizon.

Lateral contortion, buried beside them.

Foregone conclusion, finally found.

Washboard contusion, revelry bound.

5402511754_21c3384ef9.jpg

14610201185_fbc4715503_o.jpg

Edited by Raptor Witness

Finally, Greenwald has dropped the real bomb.

Below are three interviews of the five individuals mentioned in the article, who have apparently been illegally targeted by the NSA and the FBI. The last interview is the best ..., which I've had to add to the post below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meet the Muslim-American Leaders the FBI and NSA Have Been Spying On - The Intercept - July 9, 2014

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

This one is the best, by far ...

Edited by Raptor Witness

Yes, just as the FBI was following that uppity black man MLK, today's NSA is following the muslims who are not even uppity. Some things never change.

Orwell was amazingly prescient!

For the first time in my life, I feel deeply sympathetic towards the Muslim-American community.

As I understand it, these moderates have been helpful in weeding out the truly bad apples in their community. So to violate their privacy is a slap in the face, and probably a big reason why the federal government wasn't too keen on Greenwald outing the feds illegal spying. They know that this will anger the moderates, as well it should.

I will never view the Muslim-American community the way I did before I saw these interviews.

• Like 1

You're unusual in that regard Raptor.

The rest of the United States Of Amnesia will have forgotten about this by tomorrow morning.

You're unusual in that regard Raptor.

The rest of the United States Of Amnesia will have forgotten about this by tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the compliment, but I have to disagree about the tomorrows.

There are many Americans who will remember what the purpose was, for limiting the power of government in the first place.

• Like 1

Here's another interview with one of the FIVE revelations.

He says he's not interested in going after the people who peeped on him, but I'll bet he ends up representing a few. :whistle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=igYeyUokhCI

Edited by Raptor Witness