Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Teenager dies falling from rollercoaster...

keithisco

Every parents' nightmare during a "fun - day out" whilst on holiday.

I am sure that many people on this forum will have visited Terra Mitica Theme park in Benidorm ( a couple of kilometres from where I live), and had a simply boring day out due to lack of rides. Terra Mitica has struggled as an attraction for years, and never reaches its planned visitor numbers.

Whether this has led to a relaxation of Safety checks and protocols will only be revealed during the investigation - but one thing can be said with certainty - whatever Safety Protocols are in place are insufficient. This kind of accident should NEVER happen, it is a legal requirement for automatic, or static back - up systems to be in place should any single point of failure in the Harness present.

Our thoughts to the family at this time...

A teenager has died after falling from a roller-coaster called Hell at a theme park in Benidorm.

The 18-year-old, from Iceland, is believed to have been flung from the ride at the Terra Mitica theme park after his harness failed, suffering horrific injuries including multiple fractures and head wounds.

He is said to have suffered the fatal accident while he was on holiday with his parents and a friend

Source (Mail Online): http://www.dailymail...ess-failed.html

Edited by keithisco
  • Like 4

Thoughts to the family, awful tragedy.

I was young at the time but still remember the Battersea park funfair disaster where 5 children were killed. it took many years before i would go near a roller coaster.

• Like 1

Poor parents, hope that they sue the place out of existence.

• Like 2

And this is why i like to keep my feet firmly on the ground.

• Like 4

How tragic. Thoughts and prayers for the family.

• Like 1

Well, my phobia of rollercoasters just went through to terror proportions, this is just horrible.

• Like 3

Biff that one is due to general park maintenance not keeping the trees properly trimmed. At least from what I understand.

• Like 1

Sadly it seems most malfunctions, if not all, are due to poor maintenance. You have a high volume of people and little time to do repairs. Often it seems that chances are taken when certain issues are not immediately addressed because profits take precedence.

I remember, long ago, a roller coaster ride at a zoo called "The Mad Mouse" and a single car would speed along the tracks and whip around corners at a fast speed to the point you think you're gonna fly right off. Sadly this did happen and I later discovered it happened more than once. After the latest incident of a woman being flung off along with the single coaster car, the ride was forever shut down.

I feel for the family and the poor boy...he must have been terrified.

Why do these rides always have to be so fast and whip around like they do? Why can't they be a bit slower and not whip you around like a rag doll?

• Like 1

It's sad that people limit themselves because of an occasional accident here or somewhere in the world. There are thousands of flights everyday and how often do you hear of one crashing. Same goes for amusement park accidents.....Your life is in a lot more danger on our roads.

• Like 2

It's sad that people limit themselves because of an occasional accident here or somewhere in the world. There are thousands of flights everyday and how often do you hear of one crashing. Same goes for amusement park accidents.....Your life is in a lot more danger on our roads.

You are so wrong... in Aerospace the Safety Requirements, software, firmware, and hardware are very highly regulated (DO178, DO254 DAL A, B, etc). Amusement parks have absolutely no requirement to meet the same standards.

There is no such thing as an "accident" with amusement parks, the only thing that is correct is that there is negligence in amusement parks. Take your eye off of the Ball, for whatever reason, and all of a sudden you become the focus of an "accident".

I had a similar experience in Florida last year, when the shoulder restraint failed when my daughter was on the Dragon Chaser ride at Warner Bros resort. It was clear that the attendants kept people riding and were just relying on the secondary restraint to keep people on their seat. This is wrong, and illegal in the USA so I made my complaint to Warner bros resort(refuted because nobody was injured!).

Seriously, none of these incidents are accidents, they are nothing less than Corporate Manslaughter, because every incident is preventable...

• Like 3

omg this is everyones fear when going on a roller coaster :cry:

• Like 1

Fine to say until YOU or one of your family happen to be one of those faceless statistics.

This is so tragic, when this poor boy wanted to be out there having fun.

It goes to show these rides are unsafe.

This is so tragic, when this poor boy wanted to be out there having fun.

It goes to show these rides are unsafe.

Well not really, statistically this like never happens. If you think about it thousands of people go on rides like this a day around the world and you only hear a story like this one in a decade.

• Like 1

Well not really, statistically this like never happens. If you think about it thousands of people go on rides like this a day around the world and you only hear a story like this one in a decade.

Precisely, I see a lot of instantaneous knee-jerk reactions going on here, and I find it all rather silly. Does that make the situation silly? Of course not! Its an unbelievably sad thing to happen, and will probably bug me for the next couple of days because that's just how I am. But these "oh the rides are unsafe" comments are goddamn hilarious, I read through this thread expecting somebody calling for a ban on roller coasters, and was surprise that I didn't find it.

No death is a fun thing, but ones like this have astronomical odds of occurring. Why do you think it made the news? Meanwhile some poor schmo is probably being crushed by a semi not 10 miles from you, but you won't here about him, nor give cries to ban the statistically more unsafe semi truck.

• Like 2