Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What does God look like?

NuttyKaks

Wasn't a passage "Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image"". Only reason I know that is because I like to question the "our" part. BTW I'm atheist, so did I break some sort of rule by posting here?

Either way I would say according to that, it looks like us. Maybe half man half woman perhaps.

I was going to say the same thing; if you follow the bible, we were made in his image....

mission-to-mars_480_poster.jpg

Maybe like this?? ^^^^

I would say God looks like whatever forms in your mind's eye when you think of Him, and if you don't form an image, then he doesn't look like anything.

You've all alluded to it and Frank has personified it. When God said "Let us make them in our image" I think of it the same way as we make things in the images of our minds eye - God could look nothing like a human yet he has imagined Man and created him from the image in his mind .... along with everything else of course.

• Like 2

What does God look like? I've always wondered this question. Anyone have any good theories? :unsure2:

(Atheists, I already know what you'll say... I've already heard it billions of times that God doesn't exist. Just don't post it please. Thanks...)

I would guess that he/she/it looks like anything you want him/her/it to look like.

• Like 1

That's what he looked like maybe fourteen billion years ago: he's aged a bit since.

Ok I admit it is a baby picture. This is more recent, but it is just a part of God's pinky finger.

PIA17569_modest.jpg

• Like 6

Wasn't a passage "Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image"". Only reason I know that is because I like to question the "our" part. BTW I'm atheist, so did I break some sort of rule by posting here?

Either way I would say according to that, it looks like us. Maybe half man half woman perhaps.

Oh, no. Atheists talk about God more often than believers. They don't seem to be able to get him off their minds.
  • Like 2

Oh, no. Atheists talk about God more often than believers. They don't seem to be able to get him off their minds.

Don't be overly smug. It doesn't become and when you are wrong it is regrettable.

Don't be overly smug. It doesn't become and when you are wrong it is regrettable.

Xin loi.

Well it's kind of forced on us.

As a straight white guy, I never understood the concepts of privileged based on race or sexual identity. But since becoming an atheist, I totally get it. Until one is tuned in to see it, most simply don't see how religion impacts so much of our daily lives.

And, yes, I've learned more about the various gods and religions that are out there since becoming an atheist and frankly it has convinced me even more that it's all just a bunch of made up poppy c***.

• Like 1

if jesus was anything to go by, then bizarrely, for someone from the middle east, he looked like a blonde haired, blue eyed hippie....

(think robert powell, a la jesus christ superstar...)

Good one! :lol:

• Like 2

Well it's kind of forced on us.

As a straight white guy, I never understood the concepts of privileged based on race or sexual identity. But since becoming an atheist, I totally get it. Until one is tuned in to see it, most simply don't see how religion impacts so much of our daily lives.

And, yes, I've learned more about the various gods and religions that are out there since becoming an atheist and frankly it has convinced me even more that it's all just a bunch of made up poppy c***.

It is hard to escape the fact that most people have a spiritual life, as humans have had since time immemorial. It can be hard, sometimes, to feel you are on the outside of something you don't understand, or can't accept or embrace. Religion, theistic or non theist, is a way of thinking beyond the normal everyday perceptions of reality. It's not just a bunch of stories in a book. Nothing's forced on you, except what you force on yourself. You have a right to believe or not believe as you choose. You don't have wear it like a thorny crown.

It is hard to escape the fact that most people have a spiritual life, as humans have had since time immemorial. It can be hard, sometimes, to feel you are on the outside of something you don't understand, or can't accept or embrace. Religion, theistic or non theist, is a way of thinking beyond the normal everyday perceptions of reality. It's not just a bunch of stories in a book. Nothing's forced on you, except what you force on yourself. You have a right to believe or not believe as you choose. You don't have wear it like a thorny crown.

You mean like when folks had no understanding of their natural world and everything from the sun coming up and wind blowing had to be a god.

And why does one feel the need to "think beyond reality" - reality is an amazing thing. Try it. Maybe you'll like it. I guarantee you'll get much more out of life once you understand and accept that this IS it. This IS your life. There are no do-overs and no streets of gold and mansions in the sky.

And believe me, I have a better understanding of religion than pretty much any religious person I know. Frankly that's the biggest problem with religion - those who claim to be religious don't really understand what it is they are hanging their hats on. All they know is a watered down feel good version told to them by some guy or gal once a week. Most I know haven't even read their holy book.

And if anyone is wearing anything like a "thorny crown" it is those oh-so-persecuted christians in the US.

You mean like when folks had no understanding of their natural world and everything from the sun coming up and wind blowing had to be a god.

And why does one feel the need to "think beyond reality" - reality is an amazing thing. Try it. Maybe you'll like it. I guarantee you'll get much more out of life once you understand and accept that this IS it. This IS your life. There are no do-overs and no streets of gold and mansions in the sky.

And believe me, I have a better understanding of religion than pretty much any religious person I know. Frankly that's the biggest problem with religion - those who claim to be religious don't really understand what it is they are hanging their hats on. All they know is a watered down feel good version told to them by some guy or gal once a week. Most I know haven't even read their holy book.

And if anyone is wearing anything like a "thorny crown" it is those oh-so-persecuted christians in the US.

When you're lying on your deathbed, longing for more life that what was alloted to you, you'll understand what religion is about. It's a desperate yearning to not cease to be. "Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die" is grand philosophy...'till you get to the dying part.
  • Like 3

If a deity exists maybe it is something like this.

It figures. The image is blurry.
  • Like 1

PIA16873_modest.jpg

There you go, questions?

Nice. I almost answered with something similar. This is one of my rotation of wallpapers...

http://bedno.com/p/a/zoom/v/zoom-00-universe.jpg

• Like 2

When you're lying on your deathbed, longing for more life that what was alloted to you, you'll understand what religion is about. It's a desperate yearning to not cease to be. "Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die" is grand philosophy...'till you get to the dying part.

That yearning is intrinsic, but that doesn't mean we're better off trying to sate it with fantasy ^_^

Incidentally, I don't plan on lying on a deathbed: speak for yourself ;) haha

I would think that a god would look visually like anything it wanted. Or a persons perception of it would be a matter of symbology. This is how it was for me.

• Like 3

I love all the replies! Funny as well as, the rational.

:)

• Like 1

I've died twice in my life, the whole white light thing. There is peace and nothing. Yet in the nothingness I experienced there was something. I don't think religions are correct on anything at all. There just stories and myths based on cultural beliefs. Nothing more or less. As I mentioned before in this tread, if there is a god it is beyond our comprehension and we shouldn't worry about any divine wrath. I've noticed in these threads it's the same drum beat over and over, same song different words.

• Like 1

What does God look like? I've always wondered this question. Anyone have any good theories? :unsure2:

(Atheists, I already know what you'll say... I've already heard it billions of times that God doesn't exist. Just don't post it please. Thanks...)

How strange, you have heard a billion times that god does not exist....how many times have you been told what he looks like by the believers?

Why do you assume that God has a physical appearance? God isn´t a person and can´t be seen; only experienced. I suspect Jesus to have been a litttle darker than usually portrayed tho.. :P

How strange, you have heard a billion times that god does not exist....how many times have you been told what he looks like by the believers?

I've been told mostly God looks like peaceful light from people I know, but I was curious about what others thought online on this forum. I'm just saying that I don't want to be told in this thread about "God not existing" because that's not what my question is about.

I have nothing against Atheists I was one at one point in my life.

• Like 1

Why do you assume that God has a physical appearance? God isn´t a person and can´t be seen; only experienced. I suspect Jesus to have been a litttle darker than usually portrayed tho.. :P

I wasn't assuming God had a physical appearance. I was asking what others thought he looked like... which could be just about anything. I was just curious about what others thought.

How would you know God cannot be seen? No one has proved that yet as far as I know.

Edited by NuttyKaks

I've been told mostly God looks like peaceful light from people I know, but I was curious about what others thought online on this forum. I'm just saying that I don't want to be told in this thread about "God not existing" because that's not what my question is about.

I have nothing against Atheists I was one at one point in my life.

I am not a follower ,but it does interest me as I have friends who are religious and my mothers godmother was a missionary nun and truly a remarkable woman.

Have never heard god being described as a peaceful light, but have heard it been said as the path after death from those who believe.

From what I understand many say god made man in his image, so I would think this means god looks like a man......?

Nature, the Universe and time are for me the equivalent of your god to you.

peace.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 1

if jesus was anything to go by, then bizarrely, for someone from the middle east, he looked like a blonde haired, blue eyed hippie....

(think robert powell, a la jesus christ superstar...)

Or, do all hippies look like palestinian jews?

PIA16873_modest.jpg

There you go, questions?

If I squint, I can see the space shuttle

Every one dies, wether you believe in a god or not, it doesnt make a difference.

• Like 3