Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Empath help

Torriblaidd

I'm almost 23 and I'm coming to terms with being an empath, I'm just looking for some semblance of help understanding it all as most "guides" are books that cost ridiculous amounts of money.

Mainly I'm having trouble figuring out what emotions are truly my own anymore as I am spending less and less time alone due to work. When I'm around people I just seem to echo their emotions even if I'm not talking or interacting with them. When I am alone most of the time I just feel nothing, blank... Its becoming a bit distressing... So help?

• Like 1

Do you have access to a library where you can read a book about it? You could also just go to a bookstore and read the book while there. My local Barnes + Noble has a decent paranormal and occult section, for example.

• Like 1

Lovely, when in doubt beat down and reject things we can't be sure of or understand. T'is why we have issues with depression and suicide no? Truly we live in an enlightened age.

Sadly my small town doesn't have much in the way of paranormal in our library and our book store is severely lacking.

• Like 2

Pay attention to your mood when you wake up in the morning, identify it. That would be your base line, your emotion. If that changes when you're with someone, consider you're picking up their emotions/feelings, especially if you've had no big upsets, bad news, a stressful event during the day that might change your mood. Notice how your mood changes and name it. It's helpful to smudge with white sage or cedar to cleanse yourself of the energy that's not yours, and to either keep your crown chakra closed or covered with a cap or hat or something. If you'd like to know how to close down your crown chakra, PM me. The other trick to keep from taking on someone else's feelings is to transmit positive thoughts/energy to them. It's impossible to transmit and receive at the same time.

There are specific methods of controlling this, some of which I've mentioned, which are the ones that work for me. With a little discipline & practice you can control it instead of the other way around.

Edited by Beany
  • Like 1

It's hard to know whether someone is seeking attention or suffering from the typical angst of out times or if there is something more serious going on. My general view is to not take ourselves too seriously and not jump to conclusions but take life just as it comes, neither more nor less.

T'is why we have issues with depression and suicide no?

No. It's because people either don't have access to, cannot afford, or shy away from psychiatric care on account of the social stigma still attached to it.

• Like 1

Torriblaidd, try this site: www.mysilentecho.com

Kind of an educational course on being an Empath

Empath just means somebody with empathy,beyond that it is a creation of the comic and sci fi worlds

• Like 2

Honestly, one should try to confirm psychic empathy before automatically concluding that's what it is. You could honestly be projecting your own feeling onto that person (in a purely non-psychical way) and think that it's psychic empathy simply because you have a bias for it.

OR

You could simply be reading their body language and interpreting that as Empathy.

OR

You could actually be empathic.

The best way to confirm what's going on (or at least get a better idea) is to put your alleged abilities to the test; if you are sensing a ton of stress coming from your colleague, casually ask them if they are under a lot of stress (and hopefully you would be able sense more specific emotions than just vague impressions). If you can constantly confirm that your empathic impressions are in line with what the person is feeling WITHOUT having to rely on external cues, then you may indeed be empathic, but one cannot assume to possess psychic abilities without putting them to the test first; trust me, if you are truly empathic, this should be easier than it is difficult. (The most difficult part is just asking how someone's feeling in such a way that doesn't raise suspicions or make you seem odd.) However, it might also be a good idea to talk to a therapist, as I sense (in a purely mundane way) that much of what you are experiencing may be connected to something more normal than paranormal. But again, as far as the empathy is concerned, confirm that you do indeed have empathy before making that the cause of your current situation.

Just my two cents. I do believe in the paranormal, but my philosophy is, don't jump to conclusions without thorough (and I mean THOROUGH) evaluation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are not all the same, you know, some of us are a little bit different and others are a lot different, while there are place where our understanding of what it means to be human often converges, just as often it diverges. I am always very aware of these differences, while at the same time putting no value judgments on them. Just because someone is in the world differently than me, experiences it differently, doesn't make them wrong or crazy. I am highly empathic, and have been all my life, and at almost 65 years of age, am comfortable with that. It's been a blessing to be able to connect with people at deeper than surface level, it's been a blessing to be able to feel what others are feeling, because it allows me to better support them.

• Like 3

Whenever you feel like you may be experiencing energies that are not your own, acknowledge them, then release them.

I love the energies of stones and crystals. I find them very comforting and protecting. I also practice Reiki and meditation.

Citrine and Blue Kyanite are wonderful stones for empaths. I would suggest you wear them or keep in your pocket.

Sending smiles and light your way :D

• Like 2

So Beany your at that state of Knowing. Your not the only empath here. I struggled with mine for years then I got to a point of Knowing. Where I'm not overwhelmed by rampant emotions and can read a person's mental, physical, and emotional state rather easy. I just Know what they are feeling and to some degree what they are thinking, Are you the same?

So Beany your at that state of Knowing. Your not the only empath here. I struggled with mine for years then I got to a point of Knowing. Where I'm not overwhelmed by rampant emotions and can read a person's mental, physical, and emotional state rather easy. I just Know what they are feeling and to some degree what they are thinking, Are you the same?

Sounds like we're a lot alike. I have managed to find a state of detachment that helps me cope. It's not really like reading, either, is it? For me it's more of a physical thing, rather than mental, something just clicks and my body is informed. For instance, if I'm teaching someone to run energy through their body, I always know exactly where the energy is in their body, it's like my body is mirroring theirs, but without the emotion or physical sensation they experience. And sometimes when I'm running energy through them I feel movement under their skin that they themselves don't feel, or hear clicks or pops that they don't. I've given up trying to explain it, it works, I use it, it's always right on.

Or I'll get short videos of the person's life in my mind's eye, usually something traumatic, but sometimes not, that's helpful. I've checked it often enough with the person involved to know that the visions are pretty accurate, i.e. down to the color of the checked tablecloth on the table 20 years ago. I don't always tell people what I'm seeing because I don't know if it's something they are ready to or want to discuss, but it helps me understand the person and their thinking better. Well, enough of this. Sorry if I went on, I meet so few people that I can share this with, this inner knowing, this information that seems to come out of no where, I would love to know how other people work, the mechanics of it, without the dogma or belief structure built around it.

• Like 2

Whenever you feel like you may be experiencing energies that are not your own, acknowledge them, then release them.

I love the energies of stones and crystals. I find them very comforting and protecting. I also practice Reiki and meditation.

Citrine and Blue Kyanite are wonderful stones for empaths. I would suggest you wear them or keep in your pocket.

Sending smiles and light your way :D

I would also add to this that everyone has their own journey, of which we are entirely ignorant, so to attempt to take away or take on someone's pain or emotions may interfere with their path. Walk beside them, and hold them capable and competent to live their own lives, and support them when they need it.

• Like 1

Well, you know some people talk about taking the pain and suffering away, and I'm not sure it's our right to do that, especially when we take it away and then carry it within ourselves, which causes us harm. I always trust the journey undertaken by that person and their guides & helpers is perfect for them, even if I don't understand it.

• Like 1

For me it's more about impressions. I can get a read on almost anyone. I just Know the kind of person they are. I quit energy work long ago as I felt it useless. It didn't aid me in any way. I also get this kind of psychometry thing going when I pick something up as well. It's hard to describe the subjective experience of it. Not everyone in this world comes from the same cookie cutter mold. But before you think you've got some kind of mystical power, first eliminate all possible mundane causes. My mirror neurons might just be overly beefed up for all I know.

Hi Torriblaidd

Welcome,

I don't think that "knowing" makes us different from others in any way! People have different ways of "knowing". Feeling others pain, thoughts, and moods etc. It's how you use it that makes us different. I believe we're all connected some how, and we have forgotten how to use this part of us, to stay connected. For the ones that doesn't know, how or even why will never understand till they experience it for themselves.

I just want to say, that I think your still fighting with yourself with believing in yourself. You need to make a decision, do you want to use this "knowing" ? For yourself or others doesn't matter, just that you know you can. Once you know you can do this ... then you open yourself up and begin to teach yourself what is yours and what isn't. No one can teach you, only tell you how they experience things in their lives. That's where you learn and teach yourself.

For me its listening in my mind, acting or not acting ( by this I mean, weather you should help or not help the one your getting stuff from ) some times things are best left alone, some situations need the person to deal with on their own, kinda like pick their own path for a lesson learned ...... and then you need to release from them.

It's taken many years to understand what I call .. just knowing ... and I'm still teaching myself and learning.

Myself, I have special places to go and release the days energy from everyone. To gain control of me, ... I know how I feel, or what mood I am, or know what happen in my life, so I know that the other pictures, thoughts, names and even pain.. belongs to others and I release them. That is the hardest part ... release of others. It's mostly knowing yourself first, then knowing what comes from others, then you can let all their emotions, pain etc go. Meditation helps for some, but for me... just a walk or drive helps or being with that someone that makes you happy ;) My hubby makes me laugh ... so he is a big help for release. :)

good luck, strength and happiness

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

beany,

I am an Empath too, but I have never had a vision of anyone's past experiences. Is there a way for me to channel or practice this? Can you only do it when you are face to face with someone?

beany,

I am an Empath too, but I have never had a vision of anyone's past experiences. Is there a way for me to channel or practice this? Can you only do it when you are face to face with someone?

I don't know how or why this works, or where it comes from. I don't have a practice or discipline that helps me do this, I don't do anything to cause it to happen, like meditation or opening my crown chakra, nor do I seem to have any control over it. It just happens. I'll be talking to someone, and out of nowhere a short video about the person starts running in my head. It can sometimes be a distraction from the conversation because my focus becomes divided, and sometimes what the person is saying is in conflict with what I'm seeing. I've learned to trust the vision over the words. It's like turning a TV or radio on, nothing, then something, except I don't know how it gets switched on. It comes when it comes; I feel more like I'm being shown something, that it's being given to me for a purpose, and my commitment is to use it to be of service.

My intuition or inner knowing is also very strong, but I can feel that internally, this other thing doesn't seem or feel to be internally generated. Specifically, it seems to be coming from a place about 3-4 inches to the left of my head, and about 3 inches down from the crown. I should do a little research about what part of the brain is closest to that area. My deal is, is happens, so there must be at least a partial physical explanation for the phenomena. Maybe the amygdala is involved, I dunno, or sensory neurons.

Edited by Beany
  • Like 1

beany,

Thank you. I hope one day I will be able to develop my talents that well :)

Hi Im a psychic medium.. I recently have reached a new level in energy work and psychic.. feel my third eye almost permently and I'm really picking up on energys.. And the actual feel of people like there inside me.. So my aim is for me to do this at will.. Focusing on one person at a time.. Wat I do is I do alot of meditation empty my mind.. Feeling my spiritual building up self spiritual and physical awareness.. I keep focus my mind on this focusing forward and around my head with a reAl intention for my head to be changing to block out people.. Then after a while it will happen then you want to try and focus in on one person..you need to empty your mind and not feel emotional.. It's all about intuition you can't be a gd empath without it..So lots of meditation focusing on the third eye.. Crystal/Tibetan singing bowls for third eye and other chakras.. You can get crystals to help with intuition.. You also have got to not think and focus too deeply in on people.. Personally I naturally think not to feel people's emotions I don't see the point.. You should do soft light energy work.. And work chi excercises into your aura.. Imagine a ball of energy preferably light energy feel it extending out around you in all directions.. And have an intention to program it to protect you from negative.. And block out emotions unless you really wanna zone in.. Being an empath its better to feel things like people's energy you get a kinda feel of a person, feeling there spirit , there feel, if they have a pain in an area.. I once walked by an ambulance and I felt like a cold feelin of a stab wound.. Emotions is a deep thing and can affect your own emotion and vibration.. So please do this..

I'm almost 23 and I'm coming to terms with being an empath, I'm just looking for some semblance of help understanding it all as most "guides" are books that cost ridiculous amounts of money.

Mainly I'm having trouble figuring out what emotions are truly my own anymore as I am spending less and less time alone due to work. When I'm around people I just seem to echo their emotions even if I'm not talking or interacting with them. When I am alone most of the time I just feel nothing, blank... Its becoming a bit distressing... So help?

Edited by Anton25
  • Like 1

Also you could change yourself so that you can sense emotions externally in not feel them internal so it's not a strong feeling. Focusing on your forehead pressing forward slightly with intention to block out people works for me.. I empty my mind of them at the same time

Edited by Anton25