Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Top 20 Significant UFO Videos

Sweetpumper

The scatter of eyewitness descriptions at Phoenix, when faced with a 'formation of bright lights', perfectly repliacate the pattern of the reentry swarm over Ukraine in 1963, http://www.jamesober...0-1963_kiev.pdf, where many saw individual lights and many others saw a structured craft with mounted lights. How many such documented cases are NEEDED to establish that this is a classic population response to a specific stimulus class?

Hi Jim, hope you are well.

With the Ukraine example, those that describe the lights to be an object, how many mention perceived altitude?

A pilot reported the 'lights' at an altitude of 17,000ft I believe (lets call it under 20kft), however Tim Printy did the analysis and said that the lights would have to have been at around 40kft.

Others reported a low flying object - perceiving it to have been as low as 100ft. Does this also have similarities to the Ukraine case?

cheers

Hi Jim, hope you are well.

With the Ukraine example, those that describe the lights to be an object, how many mention perceived altitude?

A pilot reported the 'lights' at an altitude of 17,000ft I believe (lets call it under 20kft), however Tim Printy did the analysis and said that the lights would have to have been at around 40kft.

Others reported a low flying object - perceiving it to have been as low as 100ft. Does this also have similarities to the Ukraine case?

cheers

Just my opinion but those who are stating they witness an object as low as 100 ft. could have just as easily been confused and misjudged the altitude, being it was night time to the average Joe the perceived distance could easily have been misjudged.

• Like 1

Just my opinion but those who are stating they witness an object as low as 100 ft. could have just as easily been confused and misjudged the altitude, being it was night time to the average Joe the perceived distance could easily have been misjudged.

And the average person cannot judge the altitude of something in the air during the day let alone at night.

• Like 1

And the average person cannot judge the altitude of something in the air during the day let alone at night.

My sentiments exactly, I would be one of those average Joes and in no way will I ever make the claim that I know the altitude of something from ground level because to do otherwise would be an obvious farce.

• Like 2

Well, yes and no. It all has to do with stereoscopic perception and points of reference. In daylight, one can see many more points of reference at various distances than at nighttime. But one can definitely tell the difference between an object that is at 100 feet and another that is at 1000 feet simply because of parallax variations, however minute they may be. But beyond a certain distance, one reaches what is known as stereo infinity, which is the point where the perception of parallax of average human eyes reaches zero. Beyond this distance, one cannot tell the difference between objects further away, but one can still tell the difference between objects that are within the stereoscopic range and those that are beyond it.

One way to increase this perception if the object observed is motionless is to move from left to right. This effectively increases our stereoscopic perception of more distant objects by allowing one to compare the relative movement of objects at different distances.

This is similar to the well-known test of holding a pencil about a foot from your eyes and sequentially opening and closing your left and right eye. Doing this, one sees the pencil jump from side to side because of the difference in viewing angle between the left and the right eye. This jumping gradually reduces as one moves further away from the pencil. But if one moves laterally as the pencil is placed further away, then the relationship between the distance of the object and the distance between the viewpoints is maintained.

Likewise, moving while observing a distant object will increase stereoscopic perception and help estimate the relative distance of objects that are further away.

• Like 1

I think Im in Love ! Nah ! Its just Badeskov`s drinks working there magic ! Still a Great Avatar there ,Astra00 ! :wub:

That is so touching, Donteatus !!! But you know how things are nowadays with the internet, you never can be sure. That is why I urge you to write Nev on the Catfish show so he can help you meet the person that stirs your heart ! First thing he'll probably do is a reverse image search !!!

And that alone would be worth it because then you get to have one big large image of your sweetheart, that you then can print, frame and put up on your desk !

http://3.bp.blogspot...ion 130.jpg.jpg

So lovely ! :)

• Like 1

Likewise, moving while observing a distant object will increase stereoscopic perception and help estimate the relative distance of objects that are further away

And sometimes they're not distant at all.

Edited by Sweetpumper
  • Like 1

That is so touching, Donteatus !!! But you know how things are nowadays with the internet, you never can be sure. That is why I urge you to write Nev on the Catfish show so he can help you meet the person that stirs your heart ! First thing he'll probably do is a reverse image search !!!

And that alone would be worth it because then you get to have one big large image of your sweetheart, that you then can print, frame and put up on your desk !

http://3.bp.blogspot...ion 130.jpg.jpg

So lovely ! :)

Damn. Just looked it up. Spoiled a perfectly good fantasy.

• Like 2

OMG...you guy's really crack me up.........IT IS ONLY AN AV!!......did I say otherwise ? :w00t:

As if I would put my true pic up on here duh! B)

Mind you I do look a bit like her though....and glad ya'll like the pic :st

Anyway's got to head off to work....hopefully you'll get back on topic now ;)

:P

• Like 3

OMG...you guy's really crack me up.........IT IS ONLY AN AV!!......did I say otherwise ? :w00t:

As if I would put my true pic up on here duh! B)

Mind you I do look a bit like her though....and glad ya'll like the pic :st

Anyway's got to head off to work....hopefully you'll get back on topic now ;)

Just having some fun. I hope you don't mind.

• Like 1

Awww, for sure !!! :unsure2:

In fact, I too look a bit like my Avatar !!! :sm

Indeed, and a very handsome avatar at that....I bet your a real hunky monkey :lol:

and indeed it is also just my opinion that mistaking 100ft versus 40000ft is unlikely. I can understand someone not being able to judge 20000ft versus 40000ft......but not 100 versus 20,30 or 40kft.

Having said that my question to Jim was to establish if the Ukraine reports had similar reports of very low altitude (whether they were mistaken or not, did the reports contain such similarities?)

We some day just might get that perfect Video of a Alien Star-ship ! Thats way past UFO sighting, Its a Star-ship you know the ones Im talking about ! Like "Independence Day Sized"

With a few Million wittiness`s !

That-L-Do Pig ! That will Do ! :alien::tu:

ANd sorry to get all caught up in an Avatar ! Its just Me !

• Like 1

We some day just might get that perfect Video of a Alien Star-ship ! Thats way past UFO sighting, Its a Star-ship you know the ones Im talking about ! Like "Independence Day Sized"

With a few Million wittiness`s !

Yes, we are well overdue for an "Independence Day" sized space craft to hover over the White House again ;)

BRING IT ON :tu: