Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Massive school of anchovies

Keel M.

I admit that it's a bit weird to talk about them being living breathing beings because most of the time they're spoken of only as a delicacy, but there's a massive school of anchovies off the coast of California.

School of anchovies resembles oil slick

Edited by Child of Bast
  • Like 2

No need to worry, it's just dominos herding the anchovies to their ultimate pizza demise!

• Like 3

They're safe from me.

Likewise, i'll stick to the usual non fishy toppings.

• Like 1

Mmmm, salty deliciousness! Caesar salad, anyone?

BTW, it's not a good idea to swim through schools of bait fish, you never know if your arm or leg might be mistaken for a snack by a shark or barracuda.

• Like 1

Worcestershire sauce gets its flavor from those little fellows, which I love to use. delicious.

Edited by ancient astronaut

What an extremely cool video. It's not rare to see large schools of anchovies in the waters off San Diego though (they feed those yummy Bonita which become my tacos mmmm). What's unusual is for the water to be 74 degrees. That's really high for La Jolla, even in July. Is it El Nino this year? I haven't been keeping track since I moved inland.

Quite a sight, especially looking down from above the water :tu:

• Like 1

great video! loved it. :)

BTW, it's not a good idea to swim through schools of bait fish, you never know if your arm or leg might be mistaken for a snack by a shark or barracuda.

I was thinking the exact same thing!

When scuba diving a huge school of thousands of cigar minnows swam past us. It's cool they way they open a hole for you and close it back up again within inches.

• Like 1

Do they ever brush against you Michelle?

Not a single one. That's what is so amazing about. You'd think at least one would be out of sync but they move in perfect unison. We did think about the fact that something much, much larger could be chasing them.

Not a single one. That's what is so amazing about. You'd think at least one would be out of sync but they move in perfect unison. We did think about the fact that something much, much larger could be chasing them.

Did you catch sight of the nifty shark swimming through at around 45 seconds? They catch it again underwater ...

Did you catch sight of the nifty shark swimming through at around 45 seconds? They catch it again underwater ...

:P Most sharks actually aren't dangerous...gotten fairly close to many of them. I worry about more critters on dry land than I do underwater.

Wow, I never thought that I would see a realistic representation of Pac-Man on LSD. Shukran OP

video%20games%20text%20funny%20pacman%20keep%20calm%20and%201920x1080%20wallpaper_www.wall321.com_27.jpg

NOM NOM NOM

They are picketing the local Pizza Hutt and complaining against unfair pay and conditions for Anchovies working in the pizza industry :yes:

Stunning looking sight though! Love it when nature throws us a curve ball like this....industrial action or not lol

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen a massive flock of birds acting in a similar. The sounds of thousands chirps and wing flaps are nothing I have ever heard before.

• 2 weeks later...