Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unknown entity in Gibraltar

UM-Bot

Story submission by: Vox Location: Gibraltar

I've been a member of this forum for quite some time but I had never noticed the stories that users could submit until recently. I've never been privy to anything strange other than one occasion which I would like to relate here in order to see whether what I saw has been seen by others, or even p...

Read More: http://www.unexplain...ty-in-gibraltar

• Like 1

A kite ?

• Like 2

A kite ?

That's the nearest thing I can think of too.

• Like 2

These stories are silly, only thing different from an member starting a thread is most anonymous posters will nevetr answer any ones questions.

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 3

Drones are every where these days maybe that's what it was....

• Like 1

I lived in Gibraltar from 1992 -95…The place is a living nightmare for those who cherish peace & quiet…Talk about honking car horns. Jeez!

Anyhow! While there the strangest thing which I happened to see one night was an oblong shaped / dark coloured air-craft gliding slowly and quietly across the sky-line not too far from the rock peak, heading towards La Linea.

The only other strange things which I’d heard about regarding Gibraltar was the occasional ghost story where-upon certain living areas / flats were haunted.

However considering there’s a problem with drug dealers over there…I wouldn’t be too surprised if they’ve found a novel way to float their stuff about via drones.

• Like 1

I can't explain what you saw but it was strange to you so I can't say your story is silly. What I don't like is skeptical folks barking like mutts and criticizing everything like they have the answer. What I will tell you is someone who post may be the one who can truly decipher what you saw or may have experienced the same thing so you never know. Your experience was real and in my opinion whatever you think it was stick to that everybody on this post was not there so continue to research and ask questions. There will always be a flock of skeptics with criticism but claim they don't believe but are constantly posting everyday for what reason I don't know. Thanks for the story maybe one day an alien ship will abduct their ass and the will come full circle.

• Like 2

I can't explain what you saw but it was strange to you so I can't say your story is silly. What I don't like is skeptical folks barking like mutts and criticizing everything like they have the answer. What I will tell you is someone who post may be the one who can truly decipher what you saw or may have experienced the same thing so you never know. Your experience was real and in my opinion whatever you think it was stick to that everybody on this post was not there so continue to research and ask questions. There will always be a flock of skeptics with criticism but claim they don't believe but are constantly posting everyday for what reason I don't know. Thanks for the story maybe one day an alien ship will abduct their ass and the will come full circle.

Yes! of course, lets dismiss all possible mundane explanations and go straight to the paranormal or extraterrestrial because that's logical. I have no doubt that his experience was real as well, what I do doubt is the fact that there isn't a perfectly reasonable explanation for what he saw. Oh boy, watch out for the big bad skeptics and their criticism, logic and reason because using your brains can be deadly! Skeptics post every day for the same reason that you do, because this is a discussion forum and people are free to express their opinions and experiences, even those who haven't been abducted by an alien ship. :alien: Though the quote in your avatar is a tell all to your stance on everything, maybe you should start doubting a little bit, it might lead to a bit of critical thinking and education.

• Like 6

Seems like someone’s got their undies bunched up for nothing.

If the O.P had been read through properly then it would have been made clear that the following statement was made: - I would certainly appreciate any input into what others think this may have been.

Hence folk responded with other ideas…The majority of which I would not perceive as made with malice.

• Like 2

A kite with a canine skull and matted hair sounds very silly and unlikely. It wouldn't be able to get off the ground first of all. Secondly the OP mentioned that the thing was flying and not quite drifting, if you get the drift!

To OP I haven't a clue what it was but there are strange enough things in the world. All puzzles.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I do apologise to all for not responding to this since the OP!

I welcome all suggestions and truth be told I'm relatively sceptical myself.

It certainly wasn't a kite, it was not being buffeted by the wind and it had no obvious point of attachment. Revising the height at which it was 'floating' at, it was probably closer to the 6-8m mark rather than 8-10m so it was fairly visible. The most sceptical answer I can come to the conclusion of is a sort of neutrally buoyant helium balloon with the above stuff attached to it. 

But it couldn't have been a balloon given that it lacked the spherical or oblong shape to it that you would assume it required. It was literally as described above, a solid piece that resembled a dog skull skull with a long snout of which what looked like rags or matted hair of a fairly long length suspended from it. I echo the above, it seemed inanimate, particularly due to the lack of purposeful movement and the fact that it was consistently parallel to ground, but it managed to fly straight through gaps in between buildings and long masted yacht type boats when it got to the marina.

It was pretty eerie.

• Like 2

Sounds like a helium balloon. If you have a non-magical solution, why grasp for more?

23 hours ago, Vox said:

I do apologise to all for not responding to this since the OP!

I welcome all suggestions and truth be told I'm relatively sceptical myself.

Skeptical of any possible solutions, it seems, yes.. To respond to your dismissals:

1. Kites will only show buffeting if the wind is not steady, and any buffeting will largely depend on their design and weight.

2. You didn't say how far away it was, and the attachment for a kite/balloon is often fishing line or similar - thin and transparent and effectively invisible.

3. Revisng estimates simply involves your brain moving goalposts to fit what you want it to be.  Don't, unless you have concrete reasoning.  Height above ground tells us little about how distant it was, and even at ten feet fishing line can vanish.  If it was close enough to see the fixing method, you would easily be able to fully identify it.

4. Balloons come in a huge range of very angular and weird shapes, including animals, numbers, letters, etc.  They do not have to be rounded, and you really need to visit a party supplies shop.

3m-amazing-inflatable-wolf-advertising-w

5. You are right that the lack of directed movement points very directly at a balloon or kite.  And of course it will fly through the gaps - the wind will tend to push fastest in the middle of its path, so it will tend to drag objects away from obstacles into those fastest moving middle areas..

• Like 2