Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What Would The Founding Fathers Say

Duelix

If there was some magical way to transport the founding fathers to modern America, what would they say about the current society? Do you think they might possibly regret putting in the right to bear arms in the constitution or that they might think differently about freedom of speech after listening to talk radio for an hour? What are your thoughts?

• Like 3

I think Thomas Jefferson and Benjamen Franklin would be quite disappointed.

Not for the things you say...but for the exact opposite...the overreach of GOV to remove those rights. I think all of them roll over in their grave quite often.

NDAA

Hr-347

"Patriot" Act (pretty sure they would all say "No true Patriot wrote that!")

Politically correct speech

Our collapsing education system

Our collapsing infrastructure

Corporations as people...

That's what I think...but no, they would more than likely be against any infringement on freedoms...especially the things they held valuable coming out of the Revolution and the war of 1812

• Like 6

If there was some magical way to transport the founding fathers to modern America, what would they say about the current society? Do you think they might possibly regret putting in the right to bear arms in the constitution or that they might think differently about freedom of speech after listening to talk radio for an hour? What are your thoughts?

I bet they would have put more than an incomplete sentence as the 2nd amendment. We will never know what they actually meant... our current "meaning" was written by the SC.

But I doubt that that would be their hardest item to turn them green. The extensive abuse of the 4th amendment by organizations that seem to escape the control of elected representatives would most probably be much higher on their agenda.

Edited by questionmark

I honestly think they'd be more disappointed by the fact we managed in the space of a single lifetime to go from unable to fly at all to "landing on the moon" and then stopped because "it wasn't economically viable".

• Like 8

I think Thomas Jefferson and Benjamen Franklin would be quite disappointed.

Not for the things you say...but for the exact opposite...the overreach of GOV to remove those rights. I think all of them roll over in their grave quite often.

NDAA

Hr-347

"Patriot" Act (pretty sure they would all say "No true Patriot wrote that!")

Politically correct speech

Our collapsing education system

Our collapsing infrastructure

Corporations as people...

That's what I think...but no, they would more than likely be against any infringement on freedoms...especially the things they held valuable coming out of the Revolution and the war of 1812

I will agree with you on the patriot act and corporations as people.

• Like 1

1st joke; so you guys solved that slavery problem?

2nd joke; you can cure disease and injury and heal impossible wounds but you have priced it out of the reach of the plebs? Excellent.

3rd joke; we fought how many wars WITH the British?!?

4th joke; oh I see that Hanna Montana still has a career, strange.

• Like 5

I honestly think they'd be more disappointed by the fact we managed in the space of a single lifetime to go from unable to fly at all to "landing on the moon" and then stopped because "it wasn't economically viable".

It isn't, it's just a waste. Mars I could see, but not the moon. It's be like some government company reapeatedly going to the desert just to look around.

My take anyways.

They would look for the nearest musket and shoot who ever brought them to our time.

I don't think they would regret putting in the right to bear arms. I do think they would have spent a lot more time clarifying it's exact purpose and spirit, considering how the current specified purpose is all but ignored. I don't think they would have too much of a problem with talk radio, with the exception of how basic manners have changed over the years. They would definitely be shocked at seeing a black president.

I don't think any of them would be surprised at the extent of the federal governments power. That was, after all, an inevitable consequence of the government they created after the original U.S. government failed and they pretty much pulled off a coup d'etat. The only difference is that the constitution was created with the purpose of defining and controlling the expansion, a purpose which has served quite well.

I would imagine they would be shocked by the rise of Federal power and the diminishing of State authority, how much we project power around the world, and the tremendous increase in the power of the Executive Branch.

As far as technology goes, I would imagine that Jefferson and Franklin at least would be like a couple of geek boys at a tech show.

• Like 6

I think they'd be more surprised that a CATHOLIC was President, rather then a Black Man.

• Like 1

I think the only problem they'd have with the second amendment is that they made it a right to bear and not an absolute mandate. JK, sort of, maybe, not really...

The founding fathers are all dead. What matters is what our current leaders, politicians, and citizens think about it. No can speak for the dead.

Edited by Beany
  • Like 3

If there was some magical way to transport the founding fathers to modern America, what would they say about the current society?

****, look what we've done!

• Like 1

I don't think they would regret anything they put in the Bill of Rights. They were extremists, cleaved to the ideals of freedom.

They would probably be disappointed, but not surprised at the current outcome.

• Like 2

Since nobody's brought it up yet, I'll do the Powerpoint presentation for the Founders on foreign entanglements. :D

• Like 1

Since nobody's brought it up yet, I'll do the Powerpoint presentation for the Founders on foreign entanglements. :D

John Jay: "Told you we should have put in the thing about deep sea fishing rights."

• Like 1

After a global population density greater than 500 humans was reached it became impossible to avoid foreign anything.

• Like 1

I think they would say that Old Ben Franklin was quite right--we could not hold onto the republic they gave us.

Not surprised, but disappointed that their noble experiment had failed eventually.

• Like 1

True. They would be disappointed at how it has become, for all intents and purposes, a democracy.

I don't think the FF's would have any regrets regarding the Constitution, but they would consider how some external factors - not really an issue in their day - have risen to undermine much of what the Constitution stands for. Primarily I am thinking of how mass-media is used to influence ideologies on the large scale.

As far as technology goes, I would imagine that Jefferson and Franklin at least would be like a couple of geek boys at a tech show.

not to mention Joseph Priestley.

(born in my home town!)

Besides, you have to admit that 23 amendments over a 220 year period is a pretty good run for an original document. As far as limiting corrupting of a republic, it's worked.

• Like 3

This is making me nuts, having dead people think exactly what you think.

• Like 1