Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cosmic Accounting Reveals Missing Light Crisis

Pasadena, CA-Something is amiss in the Universe. There appears to be an enormous deficit of ultraviolet light in the cosmic budget.

The vast reaches of empty space between galaxies are bridged by tendrils of hydrogen and helium, which can be used as a precise "light meter." In a recent study published in The Astrophysical Journal Letters, a team of scientists finds that the light from known populations of galaxies and quasars is not nearly enough to explain observations of intergalactic hydrogen. The difference is a stunning 400 percent.

arrow3.gifRead more...

The difference is a stunning 400 percent.

I understood physicists thought being within one order of magnitude was good enough...! ;-)

QUOTE-

Even stranger is the fact that this

effect only seems to apply to

observations of the sky near to us,

whereas the figures appear to add

up as expected when observing the

distant universe.

there's either something wrong with the testing procedure-

-or it's aliens....

• Like 2

Well, I was hoping this would be about a Super-Villain who was holding ransom 80%of the cosmos's light.

A little disappointed here.

• Like 5

I passed the relevant files to the Met Police via the Home Office in 1987....D'you think they've been accidently destroyed?

• Like 2

This is what happens when you let Indian electricians loose in outer space!

• Like 3

Something we thought was a constant... isn't.

Well, it's been proven true now...I'm officially 80% in the dark...

• Like 5

An interesting article containing a statement proving we often know what the other person means even when he doesn't say what he means:

Another co-author of the story, CU-Boulder’s Center for Astrophysics’ Benjamin Oppenheimer, says that we don’t know yet where this missing light is coming from:

Can it both be missing and coming from?

"I'm so confused." --bennie barberino (Welcome Back Koter!

Without the property of being vague there would be no language.

Perhaps we have Classical Physics, Quantum Physics, and "Which way did it go, George" Physics!

• Like 5

An interesting article containing a statement proving we often know what the other person means even when he doesn't say what he means:

Can it both be missing and coming from?

"I'm so confused." --bennie barberino (Welcome Back Koter!

Without the property of being vague there would be no language.

Perhaps we have Classical Physics, Quantum Physics, and "Which way did it go, George" Physics!

Me too!! Do we have too much light, that cannot accounted for, or too little?? ***confused*** :unsure2:

• Like 1

Dark matter...dark energy...dark pull...dark light....is it possible that they scientists just think a little too much of themselves, and that it is a conceit that anything can me measured or predicted on this scale?

Dark matter...dark energy...dark pull...dark light....is it possible that they scientists just think a little too much of themselves, and that it is a conceit that anything can me measured or predicted on this scale?

I measure my conceit across the Arrogance Index, I currently stand at 357 'merican tourists in the Congo in 1952.

I used to rate 193 Daedalus units, but then I got fat....ter.....

• Like 2

"I'm so confused." --bennie barberino (Welcome Back Koter)

"You underestimate the power of the Darkside" --Darth Vader (Return of the Jedi)

• Like 1

It's perfect if you want to hide something inside the black-ness...if it's also painted black.

Light can be a difficult subject to understand. It can be both a particle and a energy. I have long hypothesized that we will never be able to know the true amount of light and mass of the universe because of the escaping light beyond our detection. Although this is slightly different, we have light being generated by a source that is unknown and unaccounted for. That is pretty exciting!

• Like 1

This sol system is a natural park shielded by the aliens. That means we will not be able to see spaceships interstellar bases dyson spheres etc so common in this part of the galaxy. Just like in protected areas here on earth you cannot build supermarkets, discos, night clubs, highways etc we cannot see alien activity in the galaxy.

I dont believe it, but its a cool fantasy to have :-)

Me too!! Do we have too much light, that cannot accounted for, or too little?? ***confused*** :unsure2:

Personally, I don't have too much or too little light.

But I have too much heavy. :w00t:

Reminds me of Clark W. Griswold and his pursuit of the ultimate Christmas lights.

It's that damn switch in the garage that we never knew the function of.

Anyway, I liked the part about them not finding the effect localy. Now that's mysterious. It's what makes it interesting.

Harte

Light can be a difficult subject to understand. It can be both a particle and a energy. I have long hypothesized that we will never be able to know the true amount of light and mass of the universe because of the escaping light beyond our detection. Although this is slightly different, we have light being generated by a source that is unknown and unaccounted for. That is pretty exciting!

If it is unaccounted for and unknown, means the light just reached us. Remember... light can't travel faster than the speed of light and sometimes photons are absorbed or deflected by particles in space. Unless the light is shining directly at our planet, we will never see the light at all.

• Like 1

Light propagates spherically. Light pointed directly away from us remains unknown unless reflected, but if the emitter is far enough away, a whole lot of light not pointed at us gets here.

Harte

Well, I was hoping this would be about a Super-Villain who was holding ransom 80%of the cosmos's light.

A little disappointed here.

Could be a plot for a SyFy movie. You better copyright that idea fast!