Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Bigfoot encampment' found in the woods

UM-Bot

Claims evidence backed by science - quotes Monsterquest.

:tu:

I have to share the opinion that this is total BS. I, myself, have built a teepee of logs that was about that big. All it takes is time. With a bit of rope I could build that alone in a single day. Like someone said, it is probably a hangout for hunters. They bring a tarp and put a cover over it.

Why in the heck would bigfoot need a open sided log shelter? The very idea is ridiculous. It is going to provide zero protection from the weather. And almost zero protection from carnivores. Probably actually causing BF to get tangled up if he did get attacked inside during the night. Is the expectation that BF is going to tear down a humongous pile of pine limbs to cover it? Is there any signs that ever happened? No? Imagine that.....

I really want to see evidence of Bigfoot, but this isn't it.

• Like 1

Chuckle! Yes, good old Misky U. would be quite reflective of the type of "institution" that would offer a "degree" in Cryptozoology. Of course, their rather oft repeated disclaimer is worthy of applicable note, ie:

Note: This is NOT a factual document but rather a fake diploma and fake transcript. Miskatonic University is not a real university. Transcripts from this website are NOT real and are meant purely for entertainment ONLY. It is based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft. Miskatonic-university.org does not take any responsability in users who download, copy or print copies of the provided transcript information and try to commit fraud with them. (Font and color direct transcription).

Am in full agreement with your following sentiments/position.

hey! Hey! HEY!!! that's the old alma mater you are dragging through the mud. I'll get Dr. Armitage and Prof. Rice to come give you your come uppins'.

• Like 1

I would say that generally, the logs were not cut, and the bark was not taken off evenly, as with a cutting tool.

Interesting stuff

That kind of shelter is a crude wikiup. Maybe some hunters needed a little more of a windbreak than just a tent.

That kind of shelter is a crude wikiup. Maybe some hunters needed a little more of a windbreak than just a tent.

If you and your pals go up there more than once a year, all you'd need to hike in would be a couple of good sized tarps and you'd have some decent protection from the wind/elements. And it's big enough you could have a small fire inside.

Edited by Calibeliever
  • Like 1

...and THIS is why Bigfoot went extinct, folks. They can't even build a decent log shelter. No experienced camper ever stacked logs around a tree and called it a "shelter" -- because there's no place inside to sleep. This one isn't even rain-proof or wind-proof.

I'm calling it "Built By Squatch Hoaxers." Even chimps do it better than that.

• Like 1

Even chimps do it better than that.

?????

hey! Hey! HEY!!! that's the old alma mater you are dragging through the mud. I'll get Dr. Armitage and Prof. Rice to come give you your come uppins'.

Grin! Indeed, how could one be so callous in regards to such a vaunted institution.

• Like 1

...and THIS is why Bigfoot went extinct, folks. They can't even build a decent log shelter. No experienced camper ever stacked logs around a tree and called it a "shelter" -- because there's no place inside to sleep.

Comfortably. You can sleep with your back against a tree. It's better than lying down flat in cold mud.

• 2 weeks later...

You can see that the tops of most of the logs have been cut, starting at 8:00, same with many of the branches. Another at 9:42 (shorter branch) cleary chopped with a chainsaw/saw. At 10:29 the bottom of one of the logs is clearly trimmed up and squared.

Clearly the work of Bigfoot. By Bigfoot I mean http://www.bigfootsaws.com/index.html

• Like 1

O wow this thread got heated up. I can't believe he came on here and replied. LOL. oh, internet people, how i love you some days.

Edited by TheOtherSide1945

O wow this thread got heated up. I can't believe he came on here and replied. LOL. oh, internet people, how i love you some days.

If the story passes our battery of sceptics and assorted smarta$$e$, then it's likely a good one. :)

• Like 1

and i doubted the existence of bigfeets... until now.

Emphasis on the "crude." As it is, it's not very useful for large primates.

While I tend to lean towards "kids did it" rather than experienced hunters, I could agree that hunters who aren't with a real "old-timer" could make something like that. The presence of deer remains enhances that idea for me.

?????

Chimps and a number of primates build "nests" and sleeping structures. They're better built than the badly stacked logs shown.

Also, primates tend to typically build one type of "nest" that's fairly consistent to the species no matter where they live. This is not true of what the "Bigfoot hunters" have discovered (of course, some of the "nests" they've discovered have been where wild pigs bed down (because they can do a decent job of arranging grass into a comfy area)).

Chimps and a number of primates build "nests" and sleeping structures. They're better built than the badly stacked logs shown.

Also, primates tend to typically build one type of "nest" that's fairly consistent to the species no matter where they live. This is not true of what the "Bigfoot hunters" have discovered (of course, some of the "nests" they've discovered have been where wild pigs bed down (because they can do a decent job of arranging grass into a comfy area)).

They build " nests "......So, they stack leaves on one another in a pile.?

They DO NOT build structures.....Or, nests to sleep in. Only the great apes build " nests ". ( a pile of leaves, not a structure )

A second obvious pattern has to do with the evolution of nest-building or sleeping platform building. It was no surprise while I was in the field on St. Catherines Island that I did not see any ring-tailed lemur build a nest to sleep in. Almost no primates build nests to sleep in. In fact, the only primates that build nests are the great apes.

http://theadvancedap...-primate-sleep/

There is a big difference.

If I am misinformed, please share with me / us some information on " structures " that primates and Chimps build. And, not from a crypto site.

Went over this on tree knocking also.

Edited by Sakari

I like how despite that this is a camp for Bigfoot, there's no actual evidence of the creature itself. No hair, no poop, no footprints, nada.

For all we know this could be an encampment for floating land squids.

It has a logical explanation guy!

Bigfoot gets a haircut elsewhere! and uses a portapotty in the nearby city, and is very hygienic so he wears gloves all the time! There you go, ultimate proof that bigfoot made that encampment.

Don't be silly, Floating squids build their bases on the moon (on the other side of the moon)

• Like 1

It has a logical explanation guy!

Bigfoot gets a haircut elsewhere! and uses a portapotty in the nearby city, and is very hygienic so he wears gloves all the time! There you go, ultimate proof that bigfoot made that encampment.

Don't be silly, Floating squids build their bases on the moon (on the other side of the moon)

And don't forget, the aliens have built their bases in the pyramids, and Nessie has a secret condo near Disney World! :tu:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Humans could not possibly have built that structure, It's just too massive. Wait a minute..., That means bigfoot built the Pyramids too!

• 3 weeks later...

They build " nests "......So, they stack leaves on one another in a pile.?

They DO NOT build structures.....Or, nests to sleep in. Only the great apes build " nests ". ( a pile of leaves, not a structure )

http://theadvancedap...-primate-sleep/

There is a big difference.

If I am misinformed, please share with me / us some information on " structures " that primates and Chimps build. And, not from a crypto site.

Went over this on tree knocking also.

Orangutans certainly do build structures to sleep in and they consist of more than just a pile of leaves as well.

Casteren (2012) did a study on the nest-building methods of orangutans and found that they do demonstrate some engineering know-how in regards to planning out the structure and knowing the physics of the materials they choose to work with.

From the article;

“Once weaned, all great apes build nests on an almost daily basis. These structures are constructed, in general, for only one night’s use or as a place for rest during the day.”

“After choosing a nest location on a lateral branch, or branches, the orangutan will bend and break branches inward toward a central point, weaving and twisting the branches to lock them into the basic nest structure. Layers are then generally added on top of this basic structure, in the form of smaller branches, bent, broken, and woven, forming a “mattress” or “rim.” Leafy branches are detached, usually from the surrounding area, and placed on top of the base structure as a lining. Extra features, such as a roof, “pillow,” or “blanket,” are then constructed and added if required by the individual. Orangutan nests have been described as sturdier, more complex and elaborate, and as lasting longer in the forest canopy, than those of African apes.”

In this Live Science article one of the researchers states;

“In order to build these nests they must have some sort of picture and feel for the world and the strength of branches and how they behave. People talk about man as the tool user and tool master, but the nest of the orangutan is really a complicated tool for sleeping."

“They are almost as complex as a man-made shelter you might make. They know how the wood is going to break, and they have a feel for how strong they have to make it [the nest]. That shows the apes have intelligence and have a feel for the physics of their environment.”

Chimpanzees build structures as well.

Koops (2012) did a study of chimpanzee structures, and while not focused on the construction methods of the nests as with the previous article, chimpanzees are selective of what trees and where in the trees they build their nests. The article concluded that the primary reason for nest-building is likely thermoregulation versus antipredation or antivector (mosquitos).

From the article;

“Wild chimpanzees, like other great apes, make nests for rest and sleep almost every day of their lives after being weaned. The construction of a nest, also called a sleeping platform or bed takes only a few minutes and entails breaking, bending, and interweaving branches into a circular frame, followed by tucking in of smaller branches to form a sturdy platform. These shelters are used daily for sleep at night, and sometimes during the day for rest between foraging episodes.”

Marshall (2011) describes nest-building as bending and breaking branches to form a circular platform which is then topped off with a soft mattress of twigs and leaves. Additionally, it seems chimpanzees frequently will break or rip off branches, or even bend them to force them to grow in a new direction. Branches were often arranged in a horizontal triangle that acted a nest support. The chimpanzees are effectively leaving foundations for them to build upon when they return to that particular location. This is further evidence that chimpanzees can plan ahead.

Gorillas build arboreal nest less frequently than chimpanzees and orangutans, and thus their nests are not as complex, but they are selective of what plants they use. Research shows they are nonrandom when it comes to choosing the plants. When building arboreal nests, they are also selective of the trees used.

At least with regards to chimpanzees and orangutans, nest-building is certainly more than a pile of leaves and while not Eiffel Towers, they are structures.

Casteren, Adam van, et al. “Nest-building orangutans demonstrate engineering know-how to produce safe, comfortable beds. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 109(18): (May 1, 2012). pp 6873-6877. www.pnas.org/cgi/doi/10.1073/pnas.1200902109

Koops, Kathelijne, et al. “Nest-building by Chimpanzees (Pan troglodytes verus) at Seringbara, Nimba Mountains: Antipredation, Thermoregulation, and Antivector Hypotheses”. International Journal of Primatology 33(2): (2012). pp 356-380. Doi: 10.1007/s10764-012-9585-4

Marshall, Michael. “Chimp nest architecture has lasting foundations.” New Scientist Issue 2822: (July 22, 2011). http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21128224.100-chimp-nest-architecture-has-lasting-foundations.html

From the link you had posted it does state,

"Nest building is almost certainly a sign of advanced intellect in primates due to the highly social nature of the acquisition of nest building skills (unlike nest building in other species, or damn construction in beavers, which functions more as an extended phenotype). Primate nests are highly complex structures that require a considerable amount of individual skill and social learning."

Edited by Insanity
  • Like 1

Orangutans certainly do build structures to sleep in and they consist of more than just a pile of leaves as well.

Casteren (2012) did a study on the nest-building methods of orangutans and found that they do demonstrate some engineering know-how in regards to planning out the structure and knowing the physics of the materials they choose to work with.

^^^ Fascinating, Insanity. Excellent article! What an interesting study: Nest building. I look forward to reading more from your link, etc.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Also do not knock my son he has found some nice tracks and DNA evidence the past few years...

My bigfoot research over the past few years has been stellar we have tons of sightings, tracks, hair etc...

Let's get serious then, if you want to be taken seriously.

Please explain what you mean by "DNA evidence". Are you using the word "evidence" to mean in support of the existence of a Bigfoot creature? Explain how this has been verified. And would this then not be exceedingly more supportive of your video structure theory than the rest of your multiparagraph reply and subjective video?

Yet you write a multiparagraph reply and only briefly refer to collecting "DNA evidence" and [bigfoot?] "hair, etc".

Tell us more about the "hair" and "etc".

Edited by QuiteContrary

Well, seems like the paranormal ghost society was able to solve the mystery of bigfoot in a quick fashion, while wildlife biologists have been looking in vain.

Well, seems like the paranormal ghost society was able to solve the mystery of bigfoot in a quick fashion, while wildlife biologists have been looking in vain.

I don't really know of too many legit wildlife biologists who are looking for bigfoot.

They have better things to do with their time.