Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Buyers are snapping up 'haunted' properties

UM-Bot

Interest in the purchase of allegedly haunted buildings has been on the increase in recent years.

Traditionally buyers tend to avoid purchasing houses in which someone has died or in which there has been a history of strange occurrences, yet real estate agents have recently seen a surge of interest in the buying of such properties due to their potentially haunted nature.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...nted-properties

ghosts you say? ... I bet the buyers see right through that sales patter

• Like 2

In that case my flat is haunted. I'll take £100,000 per month. :)

• Like 3

Traditionally buyers tend to avoid purchasing houses in which someone has died or in which there has been a history of strange occurrences, yet real estate agents have recently seen a surge of interest in the buying of such properties due to their potentially haunted nature.

I am pretty sure this stuff does not matter in the real world. As long as the house is in livable condition and in a desirable location, buyers are not really going to care.

Edited by sinewave
  • Like 1

There is a new reality tv series. Haunted Homes for sale.

Edited by gatekeeper32

Interest in the purchase of allegedly haunted buildings has been on the increase in recent years.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...nted-properties

Translation:

Young couples looking to buy a home are willing to snap up cheap homes that gullible idiots have devalued with their silly beliefs.

• Like 2

Before eBay, stopped it, people were selling "haunted" jewelry there.

HGTV?

I think my house is haunted by a cat. Which is perfect. I'm a cat lover, with three living cats (and a dog, dog lovers live here) so a ghost cat is a plus for me too.

I am one of those people....

HGTV?

I think my house is haunted by a cat. Which is perfect. I'm a cat lover, with three living cats (and a dog, dog lovers live here) so a ghost cat is a plus for me too.

Less shedding

• Like 1

Something about this article strikes me as odd. The main interviewee is a person that specializes in selling stigmatized properties, and on her real estate page she is looking for properties because she is working on a TV show about it. So of course she would say that people want to buy stigmatized properties, it would be counter-productive of her to say otherwise.

• Like 1

Something about this article strikes me as odd. The main interviewee is a person that specializes in selling stigmatized properties, and on her real estate page she is looking for properties because she is working on a TV show about it. So of course she would say that people want to buy stigmatized properties, it would be counter-productive of her to say otherwise.

Yeah, there is certainly a self-serving angle to all of that. How many stigmatized properties could there possibly be in any given community? The worst history a house in my area could have is that the trim was once painted fuchsia.

Edited by sinewave

Yeah, there is certainly a self-serving angle to all of that. How many stigmatized properties could there possibly be in any given community? The worst history a house in my area could have is that the trim was once painted fuchsia.

Well, stigmatized is more than just haunted reputation. It can also include murder, suicide, occult kinds of activity that have negative notions, criminal usage/drug usage like a house being a meth lab or being the house of a gang, outstanding debts by the sellers, and even can include things like AIDS patients/deaths.

Some of these things have to be disclosed by law depending on the state, some do not.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why am I not surprised by this. I'll stick with my HBO and FX programming, thank you!

Went over this before.

Realtors do not know if people died in the homes they are selling.

Nor if they are " haunted ".

Edited by Sakari

Well, stigmatized is more than just haunted reputation. It can also include murder, suicide, occult kinds of activity that have negative notions, criminal usage/drug usage like a house being a meth lab or being the house of a gang, outstanding debts by the sellers, and even can include things like AIDS patients/deaths.

Some of these things have to be disclosed by law depending on the state, some do not.

Links for any of these disclosure laws please.

• Like 1

Less shedding

Good point! And no litter box to empty either.

Well God smack Me & color me blue!

Links for any of these disclosure laws please.

Well, here's where I got the info about what the definition of a stigmatized property might include: http://www.legalmatc...d-property.html

Some general information on what might or might not be included in disclosures: http://www.zillow.co...closures-62807/

Since the OP article came out of CA, here's CA disclosure: http://www.dre.ca.go...les/pdf/re6.pdf

Now, for CA, death disclosure is not required for over 3 years unless the buyer directly asks. Haunting is not mentioned anywhere.

I would buy a a haunted house if I had the money

How would you know it was haunted?

A premium price for a haunted house mean many more houses will be reported as haunted.

Remember what happened with ebay a few years back? People were selling junk and claim it to be haunted. Which the buyers complained that they got duped and demanded their money back. The end result is ebay forbids people to claim it is haunted unless it is a halloween novelty. I wonder if it be the same for the housing market?

• Like 1