Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gun Control Poll

DieChecker

Gun Control in the US  

114 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best future for gun control in the US?

• Strongly feel we should ban all guns. No civilian guns.
    • Ban guns other then for strict purposes (Like Australia).
    • Pass stronger gun regulations. More is better.
    • Keep things as they are. Present laws are fine.
    • Remove some, or many, of the current gun laws. See 2nd Amendment.

At least my brain is clean then and all the crap has been removed.

Who brainwashed me to say what though? Australia has not particular policy concerning US arms, these are simply my honest thoughts.

I would call that "paranoia"

To have a deadly weapon in house because you might use it someday seems ridiculous to me, Why not go out and buy a 747 in case you want to leave the country one day? He said he would not own a gun, but supports the rights of people to have them in case the Government attacks the people? Dead set, that honestly sounds certifiably crazy to me. I mean how often do you have to hole up and shoot it out with the Government?

I do plenty, and I do not want to see more deaths from accidents and public massacres just to curb someones paranoia, and make Gun Manufacturers a crapload of money.

Weak? LOL. See how much you rely on guns!! You think you need a gun to be tough?? That is both immature and incorrect.

What paranoia? You are both welcome to that thanks very much.

Apologies to the unanswered posts, I will get back to them tomorrow, I have to leave now for Gym - Boxing tonight.

Weak without a gun LOL. Man up.

lmao, you sound like insecure 12 years old, with diarrhea of the fingers. got beat up in school much??

leave your tough talks to your 12 years old friends.

nothing you said change my pov, about him or you, and i'm really glad he is my countryman, and i'm even more glad you are not.

To have a deadly weapon in house because you might use it someday seems ridiculous to me

I don't feel being prepared is ridiculous at all. I have a generator that I've had for 5 years and never used. But if I need it, I'll be glad I have it.

• Like 3

Weak? LOL. See how much you rely on guns!! You think you need a gun to be tough?? That is both immature and incorrect.

Apologies to the unanswered posts, I will get back to them tomorrow, I have to leave now for Gym - Boxing tonight.

Thats what gets me mate,I've been accused of being a coward because we don't have guns here and supposedly can't defend ourselves,I even had one guy on another board say we Brits hide in a cupboard when somebody breaks in lol

I pity the fool who breaks in my house and like you I am confident enough to defend myself

• Like 1

Thats what gets me mate,I've been accused of being a coward because we don't have guns here and supposedly can't defend ourselves,I even had one guy on another board say we Brits hide in a cupboard when somebody breaks in lol

I pity the fool who breaks in my house and like you I am confident enough to defend myself

I understand your point of view and confidence regarding an intruder, however if their breaking into your home they are criminals, and being criminals there is a good chance they could be armed with a firearm, so my point ,although cliche, is don't bring a knife(or boxing gloves) to a gun fight.

Anyone accusing you of being a coward for that reason is an idiot. There is nothing wrong with not having a gun.

I happen to have 2 guns. Nothing too much though. Just a Marlin .22, semi-auto and a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver. All I've ever used them for was target practice and shooting pests. But it does give me piece-of-mind to have them around. We live outside the city limits and can be vulnerable. Also nice to know that if anything unexpected happens, I can at least protect my house and hunt if necessary.

• Like 1

I don't feel being prepared is ridiculous at all. I have a generator that I've had for 5 years and never used. But if I need it, I'll be glad I have it.

It's not ridiculous. It's called being prepared.

I couldn't vote on anything. I don't think guns should be banned. I think that perhaps a combination of some gun law removal, some keeping it the same, potentially some additions along with some revisions of what already exists might be best. Gun legislation seems to be a tangled mess to me, and just taking one tack isn't going to help much and might cause more problems.

• Like 1

I disagree. I find it noble that someone believes in protecting someone's rights even though it isn't something they take part in. I hate to think that the world will be a place where only things are done that affect the majority.

Myles I would agree of the reasoning was sound, he is just parroting others. He said "in case the Government attacks the citizens", I mean how weak an excuse is that?

The firearms business is a fairly p*** poor industry in which to make money. Profit margins are typically in the 3-5% range. Most gun shops make about $20 on every firearm sold.

Compare that to oil & gas at about 24%.

The only reason people and companies are making money right now is simply through volume.

Mate, I am reading that the Industry is pulling around 12 Billion a year with over 900,000 of those dollars being pure profit.

arms-military-vs-civilians.jpg2010-expenditures-by-gunissue-nonprofits_50365ef8c7c2d_w587.jpg

LINK

it does not exist now, that is why we need guns, not to mention fighting in usa will get you arrested no matter who started it.

It does exist outside of America.

Fighting will get you arrested so that's a reason to keep a gun is it? Shooting someone won't get you arrested?

• Like 1

Someone supporting a position that doesn't directly affect them bolsters their credibility.

No it does not, one has to offer reasoning - facts or such to show their position is valid. The "The Government might try to go to war with it's citizens" sounds more like a joke than a reason. Supporting something without reason is just stupid.

You are the first person I've ever witnessed trying to argue the opposite.

Then you should visit the UFOlogy boards sometime. People constantly supporting crap they just made up.

The rest of your post(s) are speculation at best. Have you seen typical American advertisements? Unless you're buying a medium that is affiliated with firearms already, this 'brain washing' you reference is non existent.

Have you looked at the profit margins?

What other country has this Gun "need" other than the states? Not even Police carry guns in Britain. But Danel needs to stand up for people to have guns in case the US Government attacks it's own people? Come on. You're talking to me now.

• Like 1

And while he's doing that, show me where we don't have the right to defend ourselves, and don't have to right to oppose a repressive government.

See brainwashing.

I cannot defend myself unless I have a gun.

That's not the case people.

lmao, you sound like insecure 12 years old, with diarrhea of the fingers. got beat up in school much??

leave your tough talks to your 12 years old friends.

You are the one who called me weak without a gun, which makes you a hypocrite here.

Not very "tough" with your gun either are you LOL.

nothing you said change my pov, about him or you, and i'm really glad he is my countryman, and i'm even more glad you are not.

I would not want to change your view, you have been brainwashed and I do not pull 12 billion a year to waste on reversing the insecurities your now rely upon.

I feel the same way, I would not want to have countrymen that need weapons to defend themselves, and think they can just lie down and die without them. You could not be my countryman, you are too much of a wuss to be an Aussie mate. Keep your views, just don't expect other to advocate such a weak defeatist and illogical position. We took the step and did it, and we won for it. Not a single Public Massacre ever again.

• Like 1

Still no one voting for a Total Ban. Come on, there has to be at least one true Pacifist Communist out there. (Teasing!)

The vote is a clear 1/3rd for more legislation and 2/3 for the same or less. 15 to 31. That is a pretty good turnout. I hope for more votes in the coming days.

I will be surprised if anyone does, being an impossible position it's a pointless dream.

I will be surprised if anyone does, being an impossible position it's a pointless dream.

The idea of citizens defending themselves from a tyrannical government isn't so very preposterous as one might think psyche101...insurgencies have worked bloody well against militaries throughout history. And the current administration has proven that it will do pretty much everything it can get away with regardless the laws. My rifle or shotgun will never defeat a tank or a drone but a few MILLION of them will cause some reconsideration of plans...
  • Like 3

No it does not, one has to offer reasoning - facts or such to show their position is valid. The "The Government might try to go to war with it's citizens" sounds more like a joke than a reason. Supporting something without reason is just stupid.

Then you should visit the UFOlogy boards sometime. People constantly supporting crap they just made up.

What other country has this Gun "need" other than the states? Not even Police carry guns in Britain. But Danel needs to stand up for people to have guns in case the US Government attacks it's own people? Come on. You're talking to me now.

Haven't you been paying attention to what is going on in the middle east. My fear isn't something that might happen it is happening.

Do you have a bomb shelter stacked with food as well?

It's how far you go, I know you live rural, and if I lived in rural America I would have a gun too, because Bears scare the heck out of me. But "in case the Government attacks" seems a very poor excuse to me.

The idea of citizens defending themselves from a tyrannical government isn't so very preposterous as one might think psyche101...insurgencies have worked bloody well against militaries throughout history. And the current administration has proven that it will do pretty much everything it can get away with regardless the laws. My rifle or shotgun will never defeat a tank or a drone but a few MILLION of them will cause some reconsideration of plans...

It strikes me as beyond ridiculous, no a couple million people with pop guns does not mean squat against one B2. You're kidding yourself if you think you can hole up and shoot it out with the US Government, which again seems more than preposterous. But a romantic scenario to play out in ones head I am sure. We are not speaking about a small island like Fiji where a coup can happen and end overnight, we are speaking of a first world power that has hundreds of politicians in the line that all need to be in loops. To think you are going to wake up one morning and find out a civil war is happening between citizens and Government in the US is indeed preposterous. And that is where the brainwashing comes in.

If you think your Government is tyrannical - vote them out!! That is what voting is for!!

You know, I don't think even a million shotguns would stop a tank, it would just keep on rolling right over top of all of the people with shotguns.

• Like 1

Haven't you been paying attention to what is going on in the middle east. My fear isn't something that might happen it is happening.

But you do not have a fear, you are supporting other peoples fears aren;t you? That's what you told me, you would not won a gun, but you defend the right of people to take up arms against their own Government, whom you think is going to attack them for some reason.

That's paranoia mate. Not defence.

Indeed. I understand why some rural people have guns, but I do not understand the need for a gun in cities, and if you see the comments some of the immature people make, it makes me shudder to think such small minded people have guns. All the "pry it from my cold dead hand" Macho BS is so corny it's laughable.

But people who think they need a gun seem to also have a need to hide behind it, as such, it does not surprise me that many of these gun owners are all tough behind a computer screen as well. In real life, I'd love to see how tough they really are. Not very at all I imagine.

I am with you mate, someone breaks into my house, they won't be leaving in a body bag, they will be leaving in severe pain all over their body wishing the hell they had never so much as thought of stealing from someones home and vowing never to do it again in case they do not get off so lucky. Damn straight I pity the fool :D

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

I understand your point of view and confidence regarding an intruder, however if their breaking into your home they are criminals, and being criminals there is a good chance they could be armed with a firearm, so my point ,although cliche, is don't bring a knife(or boxing gloves) to a gun fight.

That why you remove them from everyone. Why do people think gun control means taking it away from the most likely people to suffer home invasion? Other countries just as big as America manage home invasions without weapons.

• Like 1

Ahhh.... But UM is full of Dreamers. :yes:

• Like 1

At least my brain is clean then and all the crap has been removed.

Who brainwashed me to say what though? Australia has not particular policy concerning US arms, these are simply my honest thoughts.

I would call that "paranoia"

To have a deadly weapon in house because you might use it someday seems ridiculous to me, Why not go out and buy a 747 in case you want to leave the country one day? He said he would not own a gun, but supports the rights of people to have them in case the Government attacks the people? Dead set, that honestly sounds certifiably crazy to me. I mean how often do you have to hole up and shoot it out with the Government?

I do plenty, and I do not want to see more deaths from accidents and public massacres just to curb someones paranoia, and make Gun Manufacturers a crapload of money.

What paranoia? You are both welcome to that thanks very much.

And what do you expect a 100 pound woman to do against a 250 pound attacker. It's cool that you're tough and all, but I'm concerned for those who aren't 'tough'.

• Like 1

I can't believe I have to elaborate on this point, since you clearly have all the answers.

If one takes a position on an issue that doesn't have a benefit to one's self, what is their motivation? Well, for Daniel and others like himself, it is a priciple they are defending. They are defending an inalienable right that they themselves don't exercise. They are defending the principle of what being a 'free man' is.

Someone who likes guns can be expected to support the ownership of guns, and someone who doesn't like guns can be expected to not.

Just like many others in America fight for legal equality for gays to be married in the eyes of the state. I'm not gay, but I defend the principle of equality before the eyes of the law. Gay people being married has no benefit to myself, but I support the priniple of equality despite me not receiving a benefit for such a change.

We can go on... those who don't smoke marijuana but support legalization have more credibility than the hippy who smokes. They both can make the same exact factual statement, but the non smoker's statement will have more weight.

• Like 1

It strikes me as beyond ridiculous, no a couple million people with pop guns does not mean squat against one B2. You're kidding yourself if you think you can hole up and shoot it out with the US Government, which again seems more than preposterous. But a romantic scenario to play out in ones head I am sure. We are not speaking about a small island like Fiji where a coup can happen and end overnight, we are speaking of a first world power that has hundreds of politicians in the line that all need to be in loops. To think you are going to wake up one morning and find out a civil war is happening between citizens and Government in the US is indeed preposterous. And that is where the brainwashing comes in.

If you think your Government is tyrannical - vote them out!! That is what voting is for!!

You know, I don't think even a million shotguns would stop a tank, it would just keep on rolling right over top of all of the people with shotguns.

I also find it ironic that one statement alludes to how menacing and dangerous guns are, then another post refers to them as toys (pop guns). Which is it?

• Like 1