Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gun Control Poll

DieChecker

Gun Control in the US  

114 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best future for gun control in the US?

• Strongly feel we should ban all guns. No civilian guns.
    • Ban guns other then for strict purposes (Like Australia).
    • Pass stronger gun regulations. More is better.
    • Keep things as they are. Present laws are fine.
    • Remove some, or many, of the current gun laws. See 2nd Amendment.

[/background][/size][/font][/color]

So are guns, though... So if you argue that the military won't turn against the people, how can you argue that you need guns to protect you from a tyrannical government?

Who's to say that the tyrannical government that insights such a revolution does not hire Hessians to fight for them? Mercenaries.... Foreign born hired soldiers.

Is this poll not proof enough for all who oppose US that you've lost the argument? I think it's time you all invest your energy elsewhere.

• Like 1

[/background][/size][/font][/color]

So are guns, though... So if you argue that the military won't turn against the people, how can you argue that you need guns to protect you from a tyrannical government?

So if you brush your teeth, you will never have go to the dentist? Or, is it better to take precautions for your own good health?

• Like 2

So if you brush your teeth, you will never have go to the dentist? Or, is it better to take precautions for your own good health?

Or, perhaps better....

If you go to the Dentist once a year, then you never need to brush your teeth? Let the experts do all the work and don't take any personal responsibility for your own welfare?

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 4

Who's to say that the tyrannical government that insights such a revolution does not hire Hessians to fight for them? Mercenaries.... Foreign born hired soldiers.

Obama is already doing that. We are allowing illegal I agents in the military, so they can become citizens.

Or, perhaps better....

If you go to the Dentist once a year, then you never need to brush your teeth? Let the experts do all the work and don't take any personal responsibility for your own welfare?

I don't see it any differently than having a spare tire in the car. I try to be well prepared for any kind of emergency, whether it's human, animal or a natural disaster. I would be remiss if I discarded all of the scenarios where a gun could play an important role.

I wonder if camping would be considered a good reason to own a gun for those who are in favor of an Australia like system of gun laws. From what I read Australian farmers and ranchers can own guns to protect their animals. Wouldn't these same predator animals present a need for a gun for those people who enjoy camping?

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

It can't be!!!

Wow... who didn't see this coming!? I been constantly stating this is what happens when you disarm the citizens; leads to more crimes, more murders, and more mass shootings. How could they be so wrong? Like the article says, "Criminals don't pay attention to gun bans. They never have and never will!"

Looks like some media is finally getting the point I been trying to state throughout all these years.

It can't be because it isn't and disarming people may lead to more petty crime, but less violent crime and accidental death.

It took me about 2 seconds to find a countering link that says:

In the last 16 years, the risk of dying by gunshot in Australia has fallen by more than 50 percent. The national rate of gun homicide is one-thirtieth that of the United States. And there hasn't been a single mass shooting since Port Arthur

LINK

Link I said, anyone can make a statistic say what they want - 77% of all people know that.

The old link that Daniel provided states:

According to the Ballina Shire Advocate, "over 9,000 guns have been taken off New South Wales (NSW) streets and 3352 people have charged" during previous operations in the last 12 months alone.

This is expected, as I have said there is a huge Police Biker war that started about a year ago, and the Police have now made patch gangs illegal. Biker groups have been broken up and any people insisting on wearing patches have been jailed. There were also mountain of drugs money and possessions confiscated too, what you do not seem to understand is these guns were NOT used in home invasions or terrorising citizens, they were a valuable commodity that remained hidden until a rival gang clash was organised. Even organised crime can't hide forever from the Gun Ban.

Like this:

LINK - Australian Crime Commission taskforce seizes $500m in drugs, cash as investigators focus on motorcycle gangs, people smuggler

Taskforce Eligo tracked money laundering - which it says is "the lifeblood of organised crime" - being used by a complex global network of terrorists, bikie gangs, drug cartels and people smugglers.

In the past week a record $5.7 million in cash was seized at a unit in Sydney and in the past year the taskforce has busted one of the largest clandestine drug labs ever found in Victoria, as well as a massive cannabis grow house in NSW.

Notice the state? NSW? That is where Sydney just happens to be. I also urge you to take note of the dates that the stories were written on.

Here you people are telling me that "I do not understand the states and should not comment" yet what have we here? I have been trying to tell you all we are in the middle of disarming organised crime, it's not working out so well for the criminals right now. They are the only targets law enforcement has left. And it is not working out so well for them. Patch gangs are now gone 12 months after the headlines Daniel sensationalised. Do you still have Hells Angels in the US? We don't.

You can try to convince yourselves that Australia has gun crime, but that is all you will convince. I live here and I know you are just trying to justify a world of guns. Thing is they really are not necessary, and your combined excuses are very ordinary to people who deal with that which US people find a "Need" for guns just fine without guns, and have been doing so for decades, and it really burns people that we are happy about it, and it is successful. You think we have gun crime? Come have a look, you tell me.

The above weaponry is in the hands of highly organised crime. They don't do home invasions, and from our perspective, Government Takeover is overdramatised nonsense. It's an excuse, not a reason. The only actual reason I have seen that make Gun Control very difficult in the states is demographics, other than that, be honest, you simply do not have a valid excuse to issue deadly weapons to each and every person.

Don't fool yourselves into thinking gun bans did not work here, they sure as heck did. No two ways about it. Have a look yourselves.

Ji think we have it back wards. We have been trying to limit or do away with games that have toy guns involved. Their sending kids home for pointing and saying bang. When I was a kid we played cowbows and Indians or cops and robbers or army games. These games are discouraged or out flawed at school or in a park. Boys cannot be boys they must try to be the same as girls. There is no outlet for presser.

Not like that here, I played Cowboys and Indians as a child, and my son plays his own gun games wit his friends and has been to Skirmish.

There is no outlet for presser? What does that mean?

• Like 1

I wonder if camping would be considered a good reason to own a gun for those who are in favor of an Australia like system of gun laws. From what I read Australian farmers and ranchers can own guns to protect their animals. Wouldn't these same predator animals present a need for a gun for those people who enjoy camping?

No, heck we do not consider home invasion a decent reason, temporary home would not wash. Campgrounds are usually pretty well utilised, on the coasts with well organised grounds that have all the facilities you need and normally plenty of other campers. If you camp hard core out in the bush, that's your problem. The animals we have to avoid won't be killed or pacified with a gun. Snakes and Spiders are the real threat here. Dingos are a very mild threat, and the biggest carnivore that will have a go at you. Dropbears won't go near Vegemite so as long as you are covered in the stuff an eaten a decent breakfast of toast and Vegemite, you are just fine here. A pair of steel cap boots would go much further than a gun. We have wild pigs and dogs, but you have to look for them, unlikely you will just stumble across one, or have them hunt you down. Kangaroos won't attack unless you attack them.

Farmers more have them for half breed Dingo's that take sheep. I know many that use those guns irresponsibly though and shoot a Cockatoo just for Marksmanship, or an Emu just to poison wild dogs and cats with.

The biggest threat here from animals is to our ecosystem by introduced species.

We have gun clubs too believe it or not to cater for enthusiasts and collectors.

come-and-take-it-underwear2.jpg

YAM!!!!

That is NOT a deterrent!!!

:D

I am seriously doubting that is a picture of you somehow................... in fact, I am praying that is the case right now....................

It's refreshing to know from our British and Australian critics that our gun-free zones make mass shootings and public massacres impossible. :blink:

Our gun massacres speak for themselves.

[/size]

http://www.ballinaad...olence/1992835/

I wonder how they are finding these guns. That is like 30 guns a day. Are they doing random street search of people, or something? Checking only "suspicious" characters? Has there been any murders?

I hope my previous post clears that up?

Like I said, we are now banning patch gangs. Once the majority of guns were gone, it makes it so much easier for police to remove the remainders that the criminal element hide away.

You should see the truck loads of Marijuana, Motorbikes, Cars, and boxes full of money they show being confiscated on the local news as well.

Estimates are in the area of 2 million times a year that guns are used in thwarting or ending a home invasion.

Don't those statistics come from American Rifleman magazine on the Armed Citizen page?

Would we honestly expect them to say anything else? If we look at the cases - how many are intoxicated people in the wrong place? How many are scared kids trying it for the first time? How many are doing "one dumb thing" in their lives? How many are cases of misidentification? How many could well be resolved without a weapon? These details make all the difference, and do not compare to instances such as the case of the 10 year old from Ohio, who shot Deborah McVay in the head with a .22, a present from Grandpa, and he also has a 12 gauge shotgun as well - another present from Grandpa.

You've been using drones and now nukes as your debate killing point. Ours is a volunteer military made up of the country's brothers, fathers, sisters, mothers, cousins, children and friends. These WMDs are controlled by them. You say that even if we can hold a ground fight, as if our military would engage a ground war against its brothers, fathers, sisters, mothers, cousins, children and friends, a drone or a nuke will end the fight. Well, who that is trained in the operation and execution of these weapons is going to fire upon its brothers, fathers, sisters, mothers, cousins, children and friends? It's not like the evil politicians who want the fight know how use them.

That is indeed my point, and that slams home my point further? The "Government attack " is just a total fantasy? Who would actually do it?

Then you have to ask to what advantage does droning towns and nuking cities of millions bring? This hypothetical fight is supposed to be about suppression and power. All droning and nuking is going to do is cause massive uncontrollable civil disruption and rebellion first of all. Second, it's not going to win any favors on the world stage because it's for one genocidal and atrocious and for two a nuclear wasteland would now be producing nothing to share or trade. There's no advantage to it for those who seek power which is what this scenario is all about.

Looking at the Middle East, it honestly does not seem the US gives a rodents about what other people think on the world stage. The US turned their backs on a fishing deal with Japan initiating the whaling issues we have now as well. The cost of whale extinction is 425 Million per annum. Money matters, not morals.

It will not cause rebellion, there will be nobody left to rebel, it would be more like Hiroshima and Nagasaki, nowhere left to turn. Broken hurt people all in need of help or they will perish.

The entire ideal is preposterous is the real problem. To own a gun in case the Government attacks is simply preposterous. Pain and simple. It''s not a reason, it is an excuse to keep the 2nd alive. And who benefits from that? A 12 billion a year industry does.

I can see why people think home invasion is an excuse - it is not, but that is another debate - but "The Government Might Attack one day" simply is not. That is paranoia.

It doesn't matter why the violence is up just that it is. That isn't link I saw under gun violence in australia Just tphe one I linked to same with england.

But, I fully expected you to come up with some reason to not agree with that story.

I fully expect you to read up on local current affairs before making erroneous statements with old links.

The very presence of civilian arms is enough to deter and if it isn't then we stand a damn good chance of getting them to see things our way but the idea of a nation nuking it's citizens is asinine.

So the military itself isn't effective enough as a deterrent?

I've been gone for a few days, sorry I'm late to this, but the first thing I noticed was that psyche took a great big dump on in this thread:

And you think you act grown up?

You are an embarrassment to yourself.

I mean after all, everyone should just say "yes' to you, tell you how enlightened you are and close the thread. How dare anyone think different to you!!

You're confused again, and grasping at straws.

No, my statement is quit clear, I feel sorry for you, you are only tough behind a computer screen with a gun in your hand. And you Think that is acting tough, well, I don't think so.

Yes, they are defenseless, when an armed intruder enters the home.

BS. Gun have taken away your self esteem. People without guns are not defenseless, that is just what a 12 Billion a year industry wants you to think, it is not true.

All of your posts supporting your anti-gun position. You have nothing to back up your claims. Thus, you make up insults and random claims on the spot.

BS. Again, I have Australia's track record, can you please remind me how many gun massacres we have had since the gun ban?

Or you can read this which is certainly not made up on the spot at all:

Q. What role do firearms play in violent crimes in Australia, compared to the United States?

In Australia in 2006, a firearm was used in 17 per cent of murders, while knives, the most common weapon reported, were used in 34 per cent of murders. In robberies, guns were used in only 7 per cent of the offenses, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

A sharply declining trend in gun use in homicides and robberies began in 1969, the year of the Port Arthur gun massacre and the imposition of tight gun control, which followed a year in which 44 per cent of all homicides were by gun, according to the National Homicide Monitoring Program (NHMP). In the 2008 fiscal year, Australia had 260 homicides, or 1.2 homicides per 100,000 population.

In the United States, the story is different. In 2008, according to a Federal Bureau of Investigation report, there were 16,272 homicides, of which 10,886 (or 67 per cent) were committed with guns. In 2006, firearms were used in 67.9 percent of the nation’s murders, in 42.2 percent of the robbery offenses, and in 21.9 percent of the aggravated assaults, according to the FBI report. In 2005, 75 percent of homicides by firearms in the United States were committed using handguns, according to the FBI. This compared to 4 percent with rifles, 5 percent with shotguns, and the rest with unspecified types of firearms.

LINK

Don't be stupid, criminals will still get them. All you propose doing is disarming the law-abiding citizens.

Your being stupid, I never said criminals do not get them I said criminals here have then, I said it raises the value of a deadly weapon so that not every Tom Dick and Harry has one - that makes the expensive and difficult to come by. Do you think High profile criminals give a rodent's rectum about petty crap like home invasion???

Macho codswallop = Pacifist nonsense. Again, you are confused. Easily, it seems. Maybe you don't know what "pacifist" actually means?

Let me guess - what you are not right?

Reasons for me owning a gun:

1) Self Defense, and the defense of my loved ones

2) Defense of my rights as a citizen.

3) Defense of my rights as a human being

4) As a hobby, for targeting shooting and instructional purposes

5) I am a collector

6) Because, thankfully, it is allowed in the more civilized parts of the word, and I enjoy partaking in it.

How are your first three reasons not the same thing and all BS? Why can so many millions between the UK and Australia manage to do what you say is impossible - live at home without a gun AND protect your family? You know why? Because it is NoT a reason, it is an excuse.

And then 4,5 and 6 are the same thing again described three ways. English is not your best subject is it?

2 and 3 - does that refer to the most ridiculous excuse of "Government attack"?

The only reason I see there that is valid is "hobby" the rest are excuses, not reasons.

What's your excuses for you not owning a gun? What's your excuses that I shouldn't own a gun?

1 - It is against the law

2 - I do not want accidental deaths in my home

3 - I do not want to influence my children to be weak, and think they need a gun to hide behind

4 - I have no actual need for one, and never have

5 - I do not wish to have a weapon so deadly that someone familiar with my house would know where to find i and use it against me

6 - I do not have money to waste on what I consider a frivolous item

7 - Other Australians would think I was pretty darn weird which might affect family activities and functions

8 - I do not want my children desensitised to the very real danger guns present as was the case with the Ohio Ten year old who shot his mother, or violence as a whole

9 - I find gun culture barbaric and do not want that influence on my family at all. If my children decide otherwise, they can do so when adults.

There is only one reason you should not own a gun, and seriously, if I have to spell that out for you then there is no point.

Yes you did, I clearly quoted where you made the claim. Don't lie, please.

I think you might need a little lie down. Can you point to the place where I stated that Nobody in the US has guns please. A link if you can.

Probably should not have claimed that no Australians own guns, then try to backtrack. Makes you look very foolish.

I did not say NO Australians have guns, I said we have an effective Gun Ban in place. You look even more foolish when you try to read between the lines. Australian criminals are still Australians, and I said from the beginning that organised crime has guns, and they use them against each other.

Why is that person a troglodyte?

Because it is ignorant and old fashioned to think that person is actually getting away with anything more than feeding his own paranoia.

Sigh.

1) Not many, but any number is too much. That's why one has to intelligently practice gun safety. 2) Not many, but any amount is too many. 3) Thankfully, not yet. But I am prepared in case it happens. Nothing wrong with that. Unless you do think that it's wrong to defend myself if an intruder comes. 4) Many.

1 - BS, 100 kids alone each year is anything but "not much" - Up to 100 children a year die from accidental shootings, research shows LINK

The tragedy of children killed accidentally by guns in the US is laid bare in new research that shows that as many as 100 boys and girls aged 14 and under are dying each year, substantially more than federal statistics have previously suggested.

LINK - Epidemic: Guns kill twice as many kids as cancer does

In 2010, 15,576 children and teenagers were injured by firearms — three times more than the number of U.S. soldiers injured in the war in Afghanistan, according to the defense fund.

2 - Not many??? How many gun massacres do you consider "many" 100 or something? In the last 5 YEARS, since 2009, the US has seen Sandy Hook Elementary, Binghamton Immigration Center, Ft. Hood, Aurora, Colorado, Geneva County, Alabama, Portland Mall Shooting, Sikh Temple, Gabrielle Giffords, University of Alabama-Huntsville, Santa Clara Massacre, Carthage Nursing Home, Minneapolis Sign Company, Seattle Coffee House, Tulsa, Okla, Oikos University, Seal Beach Salon and Nevada IHOP.

Are you freaking serious or disturbed? How is that "not many"???????????

3 - So there you go, you have never used a gun to defend you family, what you do not see to get is chances are very high that YOU NEVER EVER will!! YES, there is something very very wrong with that level of "being prepared" people die because people like you just want to "be prepared" your peace of mind costs lives. Hundred of accidental deaths that never had to happen, just because people think getting ridiculously over prepared is the thing to do, even if it kills some people, I mean, it'll never happen to you right?

4 - Not as many as people like you try to BS people like me with is there!! You do not distinguish between situation that did not need a gun, perhaps because you do not know how to handle a situation wothout a gun. You have no idea how many home invasions were done with mock up's or people pretending to have a gun. The only statistic I have seen comes from a rifle association, but you are not convincing yourselves or anything hey........

Actually, you're the one having the problem dealing with it. A civilized society is one that, among other things, cares enough about it's citizens that they are allowed to defend themselves by any means necessary. I honestly think you have no idea what the words "archaic" and "barbaric" actually mean now that you've erroneously posted that little idiotic statement twice (at least) now.

Do what you want. shoot each other up, I don't care. Not going to happen here is wat I care about. No the thing that has me offside with so many US Gun Pro posters at the moment is the simple fact I called out the weak excuse of Government takeover as a reason to own a gun. That is silly, childish, and not convincing anyone. It is a giant red flag that Gun Pro people are led about by the nose by a 12 billion dollar a year industry.

I know what archaic and barbaric mean quite well thanks, it's a description of any culture that revolves around deadly weapons and killing, particularly approval of such barbaric practices. How you classify that as "civilisedis indeed a question for this forum, as that is indeed an Unexplained Mystery.

I think anyone that decides not to defend themselves by any means necessary should be considered prey. Just like sheep.

And there we have it, archaic and barbaric, and you needed to ask? Why?

That is possibly the stupidest statement you have made in all your time at UM.

Well, thankfully defending myself with deadly force isn't considered vigilante justice at all. Not that I or anyone else sensible about this cares what you feel.

I see, but you have it in case you need to overthrow the Government right?

Do you read your own posts?

Can't help, it, your statements here are way too easily countered.

You seem to be failing terribly, how do you come to such an erroneous conclusion - ohh wait, you have a gun "In case the Government attacks you" OK, that explains a great deal there.

Yes, you do.

Not at all, that is simply your narrow and uniform interpretation. I know you think you are perfect, but news flash, you are not.

That is fine in your parts of the world. Where you rely completely on the government and law enforcement for your personal protection. Just like sheep enclosed in a fence. Be happy and blissful with that, we do things better here.

Sheep closed in a fence? LOL, we have fences LONGER Than the US is wide, we could teach you a lot about fencing young chap!!

And we are sheep because we do not bleat the inane and rather stupid excuse of "The Government might get me someday so I must have a gun" ? Sounds to me like you live in fear every day and at ever turn.

You are nothing more than laughing stock each and every time you illustrate yourself as some sort of freedom fighter. It's corny, stupid and fanciful.

I would be embarrassed to bleat such poor and sorry excuses just to have a dangerous toy, but then again, it's a 12 Billion dollar a year industry with a marketing angle that manages to get through to people like you very successfully.

I need a gun. Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's just your opinion and has nothing to do with reality. I want one because I am allowed to own one. I want one as a hobby. I want one for self-defense. I want one to show the younger people around here gun safety. There's nothing wrong with any of those statements. It's honestly not hard to grasp, unless you intentionally stick your hole in a ground just to avoid the real world.

Young people learn self defence from proper authorities, as an Australian without need for a gun, I went through Army Cadets, and was trained by ranking soldiers how to properly look after and discharge a weapon with an M16. We simply do not need people like you teaching gun safety. Even if you are a reliable person, and considering your poor presentation of yourself, I honestly doubt that, but in any case you are putting yourself into a position that is neither wanted, or helpful, even though I am sure you perceive it that way. All you do is inspire people to do the same, and with a bunch of amateurs out there convinced they know everything there is to know about guns, somthing is going to go wrong eventually.

With the rest of it, it is about time you came clean and just spoke honestly. You want on, you like them, you want to collect them. Be honest from the start, that was the case all along. You do not really think the US Government is going to put you into a position if Civil war, by your own admission, you never have had a break in. If you want to be "prepared" why stop at a gun? Where is your bomb shelter, your rations, all that crap?

I also said I know nothing about guns, I have fired of a shotgun, a .253, a .303, a .22 and an M16. Probably just a normal morning for you hey? All I said is Australia is living proof that a gun ban works, and it does, and that "the Government might attack me one day" is a pathetic excuse that I feel is pushed by gun companies that have a 12 billion dollar annual investment to protect. It's a poor and ridiculous excuse, face it. That has fed onto a gun culture, that the rest of the globe seems to consider somewhat out of hand.

I'm still wondering how you think "home invasion" and the Government are not good reasons. You'd rather someone not defend their home and lives with deadly force. You'd rather have a government that can, on a whim, decided to impose whatever rules it wants to on it's citizens and those same citizens have no power whatsoever to prevent it.

Because millions of people live with that "threat" of home invasion and do just fine. The Governments in the UK, New Zealand and Australia in their wisdom saw it was a poor excuse and acted on that. In short, we grew up in that respect.

You do not seem to understand Government. They don't put their citizens in a position whereby they would need to use weapon on a "whim". They have a voting process, heck, I am all the way in Australia and even I know that you have 100 senators and 435 representatives to battle this sort of decision out. To not defend yourself against an imaginary threat is fine, to think the Government is "going to get you" is paranoia. And perhaps self esteem issues. Perhaps you think you are soooooo damned important that the Government has to keep tabs on you. Either way, it's a poor and weak excuse.

No, I do not think the Australian Government is going to turn on it's people, that's just stupid.

And you call me barbaric. The irony there is staggering.

Because you advocate deadly weapons. Very hard to believe this is the first time you have heard that about your paranoid actions.

I'm not trying to convince you that you need a gun; clearly, you're one person that shouldn't own a gun. And you seem happy about your situation, and happy to let someone else do your defending for you. I'm fine with that. Just don't think your way of live applies to us. It's not any of your concern. You are free to post, but just keep in mind that your opinion is completely unimportant. Mine too, but again, I really do not care what you think.

Why should I not own a gun? Because I do not like them? You are not making any sense, but nothing new there. Yes I am happy about my situation, do you know how many accidental gun deaths we have in family homes? Zero. Wouldn't that be a great claim to be able to make? We have No Public shootings, be nice to be able to say that too wouldn't it? I traded that for an insecure paranoid notion that my own Government is a threat to me, Sounds like I win to be frank.

I never said my way of life applies to the US, I never said it was my concern. I said "The Government is going to attack us" is NOT an excuse, home invasion is not an excuse, and the biggest thing I can see from an outside view is that the only place who makes such silly claims and tries to make out they are valid is the only place that has a 12 billion dollar annual industry. THAT upset all pro gun people in this thread. And why? Perhaps you realise it is childish and not an excuse, and that by way of accidental death, that "security blanket" costs the US innocent lives each year, and far too many of them. And you have the gall to refer to Aussies as sheep?

psyche, I'm done with this. Your programmed responses are redundant now. Your claims are tiring. You'll no doubt rush back in and post your same crap again, and I'll most likely respond and put things right again. But, actually, no I won't. Have fun being sheep. But I seriously, HONESTLY, hope you never have to resort to any sort of violence to defend yourself or your loved ones, especially in the disarmed environment you live in. But if you do, I hope that you are successful and you and yours don't suffer for it. I hope I never have to as well, but at least I know that I'm prepared, and in my opinion, well-prepared for it. My friends and loved ones can know that I care about their lives, and are comforted to know that I will be able to protect them.

Ohh, come off of it. Don't try and make yourself out to be "the nice guy" you're not. Facts are, you want a gun, be honest, and you will attack anyone who may even possibly threatens that want. "The Government" just does not wash as an excuse, home invasion is handled by the rest of the civilised work without a gun, and has been for decades, so that does not wash either. My family know they are safe with me, I have studied martial arts, I study boxing now, and I am fit and am capable of any situation thrown at me. That's all you need. I can protect and family or friend just fine without a gun, and they have every confidence that I can do so. If you are done, well that is a relief, because you finally got to the hard truth in the end, you want one. I am not going to change that and do no want to, and I in fact admire collectors and their collection. That's not what American Gun culture is about though.

Not_sure_if_serious-1.png

The very presence of civilian arms is enough to deter and if it isn't then we stand a damn good chance of getting them to see things our way but the idea of a nation nuking it's citizens is asinine.

But a Government turning on it's citizens is not?

Or that only US citizens need weapons to protect their homes?

Quote frankly, #1 is one of the most preposterous reasons for owning a weapon I could even imagine.

Is this poll not proof enough for all who oppose US that you've lost the argument? I think it's time you all invest your energy elsewhere.

The thing is what everyone here from the US does not realise is there is no argument, Keep your guns, I think you're just asking a lot if you think anyone outside of gun culture is going to swallow the ludicrous excuse of "The Government is going to get me" as an excuse to own a weapon. Many people die from accidental gun death every year for that inane security blanket. It's not a reason, it is an excuse, and one that a 12 billion dollar a year industry says is more than justified. It's not. But it makes lots of money for very few people.

Edited by psyche101

Hey, they are going to fall out one day, the equal I see to gun culture, is rip them all out and replace them with good reliable dentures as soon as you can get the milk teeth out.

You know - just in case they start falling out all of a sudden when you are at a restaurant of something. Or The Government attacks unexpectedly or something.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

Or, perhaps better....

That would be the gun law equivalent, there is only one extreme way.

Or one could be proactive and fight for the right to have fluoride in your drinking water so everybody benefits like it or not. Like a gun ban.

Edited by psyche101

I don't see it any differently than having a spare tire in the car. I try to be well prepared for any kind of emergency, whether it's human, animal or a natural disaster. I would be remiss if I discarded all of the scenarios where a gun could play an important role.

Do you honestly feel that it is "as likely" that you will get a flat tyre as is that your Government will attack it's citizens?

I have to say, that's a wild imagination there.

That would be the gun law equivalent, there is only one extreme way.

Or one could be proactive and fight for the right to have fluoride in your drinking water so everybody benefits like it or not. Like a gun ban.

You do know fluoride i a poison.

The thing is what everyone here from the US does not realise is there is no argument, Keep your guns, I think you're just asking a lot if you think anyone outside of gun culture is going to swallow the ludicrous excuse of "The Government is going to get me" as an excuse to own a weapon. Many people die from accidental gun death every year for that inane security blanket. It's not a reason, it is an excuse, and one that a 12 billion dollar a year industry says is more than justified. It's not. But it makes lots of money for very few people.

Really psyche? No argument? Then what are you doing?

We say quite often that we don't care what anyone says or swallows. All these threads on the same matter is simply US in constant defense of attacks on our right by people like you trying to convince US that you have superior views. I don't see many here trying to convince anyone to do or be like US. If you don't care and you don't 'swallow' our reasons what makes you think for a second that we are going to care for your reasoning? It doesn't matter. You do care way too much about what happens here. You invest far too much energy in this conversation to say otherwise. Also, you're going to keep getting combative responses if you keep mocking and characaturizing US. It's insulting.

• Like 3