Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amazon earthworks predate the rainforest

UM-Bot

Man-made ditches found across the Bolivian and Brazilian Amazon remain something of a mystery.

The ditches, which are either straight, square or ring-shaped, indicate that humans had been engaging in major earthwork projects across the Amazon long before Europeans arrived in South America.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/269222/amazon-earthworks-predate-the-rainforest

• Like 2

The Amazon basin had a population comparable to Peru in pre columbian times. You can tell where villages and towns once stood from the rich black soil the Indians created and nurtured. This is in contrast to the rest of the forest floor which is nutrient poor.

Edited by John Wesley Boyd

It is known that many indigenous populations like maya have dissapeared . It is believed they modified their landscape including cutting trees to such extend that were left inprotected and killed by wild animals to the disparitions.

Edited by qxcontinuum

interesting. The Forest is so big i can barerly wrap my mind around it. It would suck to get lost in it though.

Interesting article. I think it is clear that we don't fully appreciate the length of our history on this planet. Of course much of that is due to historical evidence existing from more recent ages more abundantly, and not much beyond 'uniform' earthworks existing from our most ancient ancestors to indicate our presence in this case.

It does seem consistent with the activities the article suggests and it is most likely not natural as after all, nature abhors uniformity, I suppose this touches upon the Intelligent Design Movement and the fact that if they see a straight line out there in the universe, it is most likely designed and placed there by an intelligence due to the natural abhorrence of nature for such phenomena...

Just a thought and a bit of a rambling from a curious observer, great article though!

Interesting article, thanks for the link. I can't help but wonder what else they'll discover as the deforestation of the rain forest continues...

It would seem that advanced civilizations existed long before the ones we know about.

The history books may have to be rewritten. Time will tell.