Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Let's hear your thoughts on this one

Boadicea1

Stigmata...

For those who may not know (Taken from wiki) - Stigmata (singular stigma) is a term used by members of the Christian faith to describe body marks, sores, or sensations of pain in locations corresponding to the crucifixion wounds of Jesus Christ, such as the hands, wrists, and feet.

The term originates from the line at the end of Saint Paul's Letter to the Galatians where he says, "I bear on my body the marks of Jesus." Stigmata is the plural of the Greek word στίγμα stigma, meaning a mark, tattoo,[1] or brand such as might have been used for identification of an animal or slave. An individual bearing stigmata is referred to as a stigmatic or a stigmatist.

To be honest I had never heard of Stigmata until watching the 1999 film starring PA. A bloody interesting film if I must say so myself, especially when I myself do not consider myself religious nor understand religion itself. This film though really was interesting.

And there are stories and documentation of Stigmata that has actually happened.

So I'd love to hear your honest and truthful thoughts on this please. :yes: Without offending religious people of course. :yes:

• Like 1

It's an ancient concept, St. Francis of Assisi was one of the earliest stigmatists. Padre Pio is a famous 20th century example. I think there are some plausible scientific explanations for the effusion of blood from atypical locations in the body.

stigmata sounds demonic and scary.

I mean who would want marks and being stabbed in their body???

seems like the holy version of the exorcists film..

wasn't stigmata a spooky and disturbing film ?

Simple mind over matter or mind over body. Sometimes thoughts can become so powerful they manifest on the body.

• Like 1

Yeah it was pretty damn good.

Personally i think stigmata are not actually what they claim to be, I'm skeptical at any claims of miracles, but this sort of thing would be very easy to fake.

Now, I say that, but it'd be a neat piece of body art for a christian to get, if they go that way.

stigmata sounds demonic and scary.

I mean who would want marks and being stabbed in their body???

seems like the holy version of the exorcists film..

Sort of...it made it seem like a demonic possession but it was a priest who needs to pass on a message. But yeah the first time I watched it, I was pretty freaked out till the end.

But stigmata is viewed by some as an affliction of only the most holy, and that would make it an honor, to them.

Edited by karmakazi

I believe 'stigmata' is purely a rare physical reaction and absolutely NOTHING to do with religion. Anyone suffering from this condition should see a medic at once!

I agree with xenofish that it is an effect of mind over matter. Our minds our powerful tools that can and do influence the physical world, as such some people exhibit symptoms on their bodies of effects that are spiritual in nature.

I do not believe stigmata are religious or are in any way connected with God, not even as a side effect. We have evidence that our minds can cure our ills and diseases, so why shouldn't we also be able to reproduce on our bodies, events that are linked to our spiritual selves?

Edited by Jor-el