Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

A vegan-friendly cheese has been created in a lab using strands of human DNA and baker's yeast.

San Francisco-based iGem group said it found a way to make cheese proteins using genetic sequences found in mammals.

The DNA blueprints are inserted into the yeast, which creates cheese that is vegan-compatible because of the lack of animal products.

https://uk.news.yaho...68.html#fyMUAsX

Umm ... if it contains DNA it's not vegan friendly....

Also ... EEWWWW.....

• Like 1

Hate to say it, but it sounds pretty gross. (Thinking Mad Cow Disease).

And I can't imagine a Vegan would touch it.

Edited by nigella

It's a form of cannibalism - ugh :wacko:

as far i can see, this is not cannibalism if it was each time people kiss it would be called cannibalism because there is DNA in the saliva.

so if people were really as simple minded as your comment, they would all be cannibals.

and the meaning of cannibalism is eating another one from their own species, like flesh and other things and i don't think DNA is in cannibalism category since everyone who have kissed would be a cannibal. (using kissing as an example, there are other ways as well)

Ontopic: seems interesting for vegetarians.

Edited by Calle

Does this mean I can use the old "I thought he was vegan cheese" argument if I am arrested for cannibalism.

I can't put my finger on exactly why, but it just seems wrong on so many levels. Human DNA cheese? Really?

I'll bet one thing, that little fact/ingredient will not be featured on the packaging. Kinda makes you wonder about the rest of the processed **** we eat.

Why does this sound familiar?

Oh, yeah...

..and so it begins.

• Like 2

Why does this sound familiar?

Oh, yeah...

[media=]

[/media]

..and so it begins.

Dammit man, you beat me to it!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I'll stick to real cheese.

Author's Opinion: iGem has raised $37,369 for Real Vegan Cheese, greatly surpassing their original goal of $15,000.

They've gained a lot in six months. Previous thread -

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=269263

• Like 1

I'm waiting for the moment when all this engineered stuff starts causing some crazy mutations in people. Why not go the extra mile, Soylent Green for everyone. Or made out of everyone. :whistle:

Mad Human Disease Anyone? ... Oh wait, we're already there.

• Like 1

Man, I wanted to toss my cookies the first time this subject came up.

I really fail to see how using human DNA and yeast makes for a dairy product. Just like tofu does not really make hamburger. And really, if people freak out that soda is tested with human particles and that's wrong... why would artificial cheese substitute made with human particles be ok?

Maybe I just feel too strongly about the subject since I was born and raised in dairyland.

Technically wouldn't that be GMO cheese, as it comes from genetically modified yeast? I don't think it is going to fly with my vegan friends. They won't touch anything GMO. On top of that how many little yeasty beasties were killed making this "cheese." :cry:

Edited by GreenmansGod

Is cheese so necessary that it has gone this far? When I had a suspected heart attack and lifestyle evaluation, my cholesterol was too high... why? Well, I used to eat a lot of cheese for one!

Remember, any fat...thats solid at room temperature, like cheese... isnt good for you. So to me this report is like saying...."We've found out how to make synthetic sugar, its just as bad for you, but no plants got injured making it" :lol:

• Like 1

Is cheese so necessary that it has gone this far?

YEESSSSSSSS

When I had a suspected heart attack and lifestyle evaluation, my cholesterol was too high... why? Well, I used to eat a lot of cheese for one!

Lies!!! You are just a puppet of the anti-cheese lobby!!!!

Long live glorious cheese!!!!!

cheese_000008808279Large.jpg

• Like 1

Genetically altered cannibal cheese. Oh, that one will fly.

Humans are animals so as soon as you introduce human DNA it is no longer vegan, correct?