Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are your friends genetically close to you ?

UM-Bot

New research suggests that we have a tendancy to befriend people who have similar DNA to our own.

The study, which involved comparing the DNA of unrelated friends, found that the people we tend to choose as friends can often turn out to be as genetically similar to ourselves as two people who happen to share great-great-great grandparents.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/269275/are-your-friends-genetically-close-to-you

Humans prefer to be with people that are similar to themselves?

SHOCKING!

What is actually surprising is that we select via stench.

Nope, i have no friends and i like it that way.. :D

• Like 1

Nope, i have no friends and i like it that way.. :D

I'd be your friend, but, I don't know what you smell like.

• Like 3

So has deodorant messed up the natural order of things?

• Like 1

This could explain why some people you hit it off easy with from the stat.

I wonder if the similar genes thing also applies to romantic relationships?

So, if you can't stand your relatives, does this mean their DNA isn't similar enough?

My surrogate family and best friend are Arabs and I'm about as Irish as you can get. They always say I was an Arab in a former life. :P

I also have no friends, and I believe it is because they remind me of my family.

lol, this is very interesting.

This could explain why some people you hit it off easy with from the stat.

I wonder if the similar genes thing also applies to romantic relationships?

If the woman is on the pill she picks partners with a similar immune system and if she isn't then men with different immune systems. The ones on the pill, unknown to them, are picking poor partners because of the hormones altering who they find attractive.

As people immigrate to countries they generally tend to settle in areas where there are others of the same heritage so naturally their chances of having friends with the same dna isn't unusual.Where I grew up,every town was a different nationality,and as their populations grew their was more mixing with people from other towns nearby.

jmccr8

Uh...this hypothesis doesn't apply well to my friends.

I'm ethnically English/Irish/Scottish/Dutch.

My friends are as follows:

Sciclian Italian

German/Swiss

Vietnamese/French

Russian/Ukranian

Northern Italian/Irish

Not even close to being genetically similar to me.

Uh...this hypothesis doesn't apply well to my friends.

I'm ethnically English/Irish/Scottish/Dutch.

My friends are as follows:

Sciclian Italian

German/Swiss

Vietnamese/French

Russian/Ukranian

Northern Italian/Irish

Not even close to being genetically similar to me.

Well only a few of those ethnicities are outside of Europe, so it's not that far-fetched. A German is a lot more likely to gravitate towards an Englishman, Dutchman or a Scotsman, if we're going by this study, than he/she would be with someone from South Korea or Nigeria, the fact they are different ethnic groups (although German and Dutch are essentially indistinguishable in that regard AFAIK) doesn't mean they are as distant as someone from the latter places.

Although none of this is particularly news to me, one need only open their eyes at any given shopping centre to see that people from different backgrounds tend to, on average, hang around with people of a similar background, but this is undoubtedly cultural at least in part, it was the same at school where the various ethnic groups of the town I lived in all tended to gravitate towards each other rather than befriending a wide variety of students from various backgrounds, but, again, there's the cultural, and sometimes linguistic, factors that go with all of this, someone from a person's own ethnic background is also often sharing a similar culture that other groups might not share, in certain cases they might share a language others don't, they might have a history as a group that they feel connected through that others don't share, they might feel connected because their group practices a religion that others around them don't, there's all these little factors that could explain this that stem from the genetic factor in this study, genetics on their own aren't the reason, and while some of us might not think these factors are anything to determine who a person would befriend, I'm sure for a fair few people it is, although it doesn't have to be a conscious thing on their part, they gravitate based on them without realising it.

Edited by TheSpoonyOne

The thing is in my case all of my friends are Americans. We can trace our genetic and cultural roots to the various countries mentioned, but in the final analysis we're all still Americans.

I've never thought of it, but I suppose all my friends I've accumulated over the years are genetically similar to me. We're all human beings. I have African-American friends, Italian-American friends, Hispanic friends, a half-Japanese friend, a couple of Indian Muslim friends, several Indian Hindu friends, etc.

Well I don't know if they're genetically close to me. I suppose I'm one of the few who hasn't collected DNA samples from my friends and had them analysed.

PS: I think their research is rubbish.

*Raises hand*

How about me? I have friends with whom I don't share ethnicity, nationality or religion. Half of them aren't even the same age as me. Hell, some of them I've befriended purely over the internet and have never even been in the same time zone with, let alone met. Been good friends with some of them for many years now.

• 2 weeks later...

My best friend is Korean, here in the USA since she was 6 months old. I don't think we are genetically linked. My next best is second generation American, Hungarian Roma. I don't think we are genetically linked. But the third best may well be genetically linked since we come from the same state, with families that have been in this state for generations.