Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smoking in cars with children will be banned

Still Waters

Smoking in cars when children are present will be banned in Wales, the first minister has announced.

Carwyn Jones and Health Minister Mark Drakeford have said a consultation on the landmark ruling will be launched.

They say it aims to protect youngsters from the effects of second-hand smoke in a confined space.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-28310080

• Like 5

In other news... the demand for GP prescribed tranquilizers in Wales is a 'dead-cert to rise dramatically, like!,' says expert.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 5

Nanny says you must not do this,

you must not do that,

you must not do that,

you must not do that,

you must not do that,

you must not do that,

you must not do that,

you must not do that,

you must not do that,

you must not do that,

you must not do that.

• Like 8

Anyway, how would Nanny possibly enforce it? Would they give the Smoking Police special super powers that would enable them to detect, with their super-sensitive Noses, whether each car speeding by has someone in it who (a) smokes, and ( b ) has a Child with them? Or would it just give the Old Bill yet another excuse to pull whoever they felt like over, so they could poke their intrusive noses in and address the driver sarcastically as "Sir"?

• Like 5

Anyway, how would Nanny possibly enforce it? Would they give the Smoking Police special super powers that would enable them to detect, with their super-sensitive Noses, whether each car speeding by has someone in it who (a) smokes, and ( b ) has a Child with them? Or would it just give the Old Bill yet another excuse to pull whoever they felt like over, so they could poke their intrusive noses in and address the driver sarcastically as "Sir"?

yes.

• Like 4

This is going to be hard, but I suppose if someone invented a child seat which can be strapped to the roof it would solve this problem.

• Like 7

I personally think it's a good idea. Coming from a dirty smoker as well.

Children don't get such a say really do they on people smoking around them so it's time someone used that voice.

However, I really cannot see it working effectively. Bit like people eating and drinking when driving. Police officers don't really care when it is against the law to do so.

Sadly, cannot see it working at all.

• Like 6

Well if your going to do this, you may aswell ban smoking while pregnant too.

• Like 4

I agree with this.

Your freedom ends where another persons begins(in this case the kids).

Its unfair to pollute the kids air when the kid has no control of the situation. And give the kid second hand smoke.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

Save the children ! people-in-bubble.jpg

• Like 8

I can assert, as a smoker, second hand smoke is damaging.

My parent's smoked in the car when I was a child.

See how I ended up? :P

• Like 4

Round here you only get 'Sir' if you look like you've got money...everyone else is 'Mate'

• Like 1

Enforcement cameras... seem to be used for just about everything else on the roads

• Like 1

I suppose if someone invented a child seat which can be strapped to the roof it would solve this problem.

Freet.

the drinking man's answer to DaVinci....

• Like 3

I agree with this.

Your freedom ends where another persons begins(in this case the kids).

Its unfair to pollute the kids air when the kid has no control of the situation. And give the kid second hand smoke.

I agree, but many people are now using those e cigs, so can you imagine the waste of police time that will be.

But its not just smoking, the pollution from cars,buses and where do I start with the cr # p being fed to some children by some parents. Are the nannies going to get the police to deal with them too?

If anyone should be hit by the nannies. it should be the manufacturers.

Freet.

the drinking man's answer to DaVinci....

tumblr_inline_mnycceCkJi1qz4rgp.gif

• Like 5

I agree, but many people are now using those e cigs, so can you imagine the waste of police time that will be.

But its not just smoking, the pollution from cars,buses and where do I start with the cr # p being fed to some children by some parents. Are the nannies going to get the police to deal with them too?

If anyone should be hit by the nannies. it should be the manufacturers.

Oh, I definitely agree with that statement. It's the reply I give to anti-smokers who make that ridiculous fake cough when they walk past me for a split second when I am smoking. Because to be fair the chemicals in the atmosphere are damaging us more than what smoking ever will. CO2, Sulfur Dixiodie, Methane....

Statistics actually show that more people die per year from pollution related diseases than of anything associated with cigs. We get acid rain, destruction of an ecosystem, environments destroyed, deforestation = Less CO2 absorbed and O2 given out. Harmful chemicals because of the greed of man. (Oh, I do like these environmental convos/threads) For sure we should be looking into this more than anything.

Manufacturers of cigs? Ha, the government make far too much in tax for that to ever happen.

However, I still do believe that as a responsible parent you shouldn't smoke around children.

• Like 2

I don't know about Wales but here in the US a driver will get fined for not wearing their seat belt.

But it's ok to smoke in the car. Supposedly seat belts save lives. But does smoking?

It all boils down to money. Safety is just a front.

• Like 3

Its alarming that it needs rules by the government for issues that should be solved by common sense.

Smoking in cars with kids (and non-smokers as well) inside is an absolute no-go *snip*.

Edited by libstaK
by request of Toast
  • Like 1

Smoking in front of children should be illegal, not just in cars. Any parent who has kids and smokes is not a good parent, imo.

• Like 1

Its alarming that it needs rules by the government for issues that should be solved by common sense.

Smoking in cars with kids (and non-smokers as well) inside is an absolute no-go and redneck behavior.

That's really not fair to "red-necks" toast.... Besides most red-necks chew and you don't want to tick them off - they spit...

• Like 5

i think it's a GOOD idea to not smoke in a car with kids in it... i think it's a BAD idea to make laws directed at what people can do in their personal space.

• Like 3

It's just common sense not to smoke around kids, it's also nice not to swear and beat your partner around the head with a brick around kids.

• Like 2