Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Smoking in cars with children will be banned

Still Waters

it's nice not to beat your partner around the head with a brick around kids.

bloody spoilsport....

:-D

• Like 1

it's also nice not to swear and beat your partner around the head with a brick around kids.

Geez... How else are you going to show them that you love them?...

• Like 1

lol you drive cars you have industrial complexes you throw chemicals into the seas etc... but o no! someone is smoking in front of my child.... lol

i think it's a GOOD idea to not smoke in a car with kids in it... i think it's a BAD idea to make laws directed at what people can do in their personal space.

A similar argument was raised at the time when most previous safety legislation was passed. It is not simply a good idea not to smoke in a car with children in it, it is more serious than that. It is NOT a bad idea to bring in legislation to protect those who are relatively defenceless such as children from the potentially very serious effects of secondary smoking by idiots. It is a great idea and one which should not be needed. But is.

lol you drive cars you have industrial complexes you throw chemicals into the seas etc... but o no! someone is smoking in front of my child.... lol

I am totally opposed to disposal of such things as chemical waste anywhere. The effects of the production and use of cars can and should be mitigated as much as humanly possible. The operation of industrial complexes should be controlled to minimise their environmental impact.

But it should be clear to anybody that smoking in a confined space in the presence of a child is far more damaging to the child than the more general impact of the other things.

Common sense, surely?

Its alarming that it needs rules by the government for issues that should be solved by common sense.

Smoking in cars with kids (and non-smokers as well) inside is an absolute no-go and redneck behavior.

I live in the South, and you would be well to recognize that the location of a person, or even their accent (I have a thick Southern accent), do not factor into their intelligence.

However, you should also take into perspective that up until 50 years ago, children smoked in Germany like it was nothing.

Cultural differences my friend.

Considering most parents who smoke, do so MORE in their homes, where there are no laws... blah blah blah

I live in the South, and you would be well to recognize that the location of a person, or even their accent (I have a thick Southern accent),

do not factor into their intelligence.

However, you should also take into perspective that up until 50 years ago, children smoked in Germany like it was nothing.

Cultural differences my friend.

It wasn`t my aim to insult someone by using the word and I apologize by those who feel insulted. I used that word as

an equivalent for the German word Prolet, thats used here for ppl with e.g. heedless behavior against others.

Again, sorry.

Edited by toast

I thought this law was already in place here in Australia in Queensland, I'll have to double check.

All for it myself. Just common sense really.

I know someone that dropped a cigarette butt out of the car window here and was seen by the Fuzz, he copped a $1,000,00 fine. This only happened about a month ago.

I don't know about Wales but here in the US a driver will get fined for not wearing their seat belt.

But it's ok to smoke in the car. Supposedly seat belts save lives. But does smoking?

It all boils down to money. Safety is just a front.

Not with Children in the car, would you smoke in a car with a young child in it? Seems wrong to me.

But as Douglas Adams said:

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. :w00t:

I just don't like the idea of trying to legislate humanity into 'better' behavior . I'd prefer more educational efforts than more enforcement efforts.

That said, fear of punishment is a fairly effective way to mold human behavior .

I just don't like the idea of trying to legislate humanity into 'better' behavior . I'd prefer more educational efforts than more enforcement efforts.

That said, fear of punishment is a fairly effective way to mold human behavior .

The missing link in this the fact that previous generations (some are still alive) were brought up to think smoking was harmless. I Know it seems ridiculous to young generations today, but it is not to anyone over the age of 50 say.

My parents smoked when i was young ( no longer smoke now ) i still have memories fo my father picking me up and burning me with his cigarette's by accident, i still remember how sick i felt in the car whenever we went anywhere because they were smoking. I hated the fact they smoked int he car let alone the house and quite frankly, laws are brought in sometimes to protect those who don't have a voice. In this case i wish these indoor laws had been brought in when i was a kid. It was so disgusting to have no choice but put up with it. I can still remember what it smelt like to be on planes with huge ashtrays lol. Oh yeah, see where your on board entertainment touch screen is on the back of the seat nowadays, that used to be where the ashtray was. lol

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy

Not with Children in the car, would you smoke in a car with a young child in it? Seems wrong to me.

But as Douglas Adams said:

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. :w00t:

Since I don't smoke, no and if I did, no. The point I was making is that here in my state a cop would fine

a motorist 60.00 for not wearing a seatbelt because it's unsafe. However smoking isn't safe cause it

causes lung cancer, COPD and Emphysema but is allowed. But the government isn't going to ban

smoking because it generates 10's of biilions of dollars yearly on tobacco tax.

It's like a vegan eating pepperoni pizza because he's hungry. :whistle:

Since I don't smoke, no and if I did, no. The point I was making is that here in my state a cop would fine

a motorist 60.00 for not wearing a seatbelt because it's unsafe. However smoking isn't safe cause it

causes lung cancer, COPD and Emphysema but is allowed. But the government isn't going to ban

smoking because it generates 10's of biilions of dollars yearly on tobacco tax.

It's like a vegan eating pepperoni pizza because he's hungry. :whistle:

Well there is an argument there,

In the UK, tobacco and alcohol taxes are deliberately raised to go towards NHS - can't speak for the US since they don't have the same health policy, but, in another country that has an NHS the argument is weak because smokers and drinkers are contributing massively to the health services through tax. I'm not sure why the US just doesn't follow suit, your addicted smokers and drinkers are always going to drink and smoke regardless what tax you put on it. May as well put it towards the health care costs so you can have an NHS like the rest of the world.

Just don't smoke indoors around children, that's all i'm bothered about.

Edited by bLu3 de 3n3rgy

This has been on the books here (British Columbia, Canada) for a few years now, and I'm not aware of any case in which anyone has been charged.

It's, in my opinion, a case of the government in Wales saying, "Just look at the initiatives we're taking to protect the public's health!" I.E.: "Most people don't smoke, so maybe we'll garner a higher opinion in the polls for making this law." It's nothing more than political pandering to the public.

• Like 1

Well there is an argument there,

In the UK, tobacco and alcohol taxes are deliberately raised to go towards NHS - can't speak for the US since they don't have the same health policy, but, in another country that has an NHS the argument is weak because smokers and drinkers are contributing massively to the health services through tax. I'm not sure why the US just doesn't follow suit, your addicted smokers and drinkers are always going to drink and smoke regardless what tax you put on it. May as well put it towards the health care costs so you can have an NHS like the rest of the world.

Just don't smoke indoors around children, that's all i'm bothered about.

I think it's setting a bad example for children. Even if you don't do it in a house or car with children they see their parents doing it

and think it's ok to smoke. So when they become adults, they're likely to smoke. It's just as bad for you as an adult

and as a child. Set an example for the children and quit or don't start.