Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Most popular

Boadicea1

Just been having a nosey and it seems nothing has changed on here in terms of the Bigfoot and the popularity the myth holds. It's a myth to be perfectly honest that has never interested me, but I am curious as to what makes this myth much more popular than others? Filled with hoax footage and pictures and a lot of false encounters and stories, why is it talked about so much?

So why is BF so popular amongst people?

And the real question is, do you believe? Or do you play along?

• Like 1

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=268990

From that thread;

"He is compelling for the sake that he is a mystery.

With evidence the magic vanishes...it is like Las Vegas in the day time, it looks like a broken down old call woman in her late 50s wearing dirty and stained underclothing....but at night....with darkness and light and noise and splendor she comes back to life, bathed in her mystery and grandeur."

And so on;

We live in a world of measured precision where we deal in absolutes and totals.

A little mystery around the corners and edges, lurking past the darkness, is nice.

It is easier to fake pics and videos of a Bigfoot, versus a lake monster.

It is also easier to misidentify a noise, or other animal as " Bigfoot ".

It is also more " believable " ( not by me, and for lack of a more fitting word ) for some to think a large mammal in the " deep " woods is possible. Now, mind you, these are more people that do not, or have not actually lived in these areas, and think people do not go in there. ( far from the truth )..

So, I think it is because it is easier to think a large primate like animal exists, more then a lake monster, dragon, or werewolf.

Not to mention, a ton of TV shows now focusing on Bigfoot. Free advertisement.

Edited by Sakari

First it was Aliens then Werewolves and Vampires and then Zombies. Now Cryptids are the media's darlings. What next? Teenage Vampire Sasquatch Zombies?

Big foot is real I know a judge in Pa his friend saw this thing about 20 years ago

• Like 1

First it was Aliens then Werewolves and Vampires and then Zombies. Now Cryptids are the media's darlings. What next? Teenage Vampire Sasquatch Zombies?

Hmm, Teenage Vampire Sasquatch Zombies v Mutant Giant Hyrax Glowbirds...

• Like 1

Just been having a nosey and it seems nothing has changed on here in terms of the Bigfoot and the popularity the myth holds. It's a myth to be perfectly honest that has never interested me, but I am curious as to what makes this myth much more popular than others? Filled with hoax footage and pictures and a lot of false encounters and stories, why is it talked about so much?

So why is BF so popular amongst people?

And the real question is, do you believe? Or do you play along?

Bigfoot is talked about so much because he keeps being reported in the news. He keeps being reported in the news because he people keep reporting him. It is a self perpetuating circle.

I play along... :innocent:

• Like 1

Race you to the trademark on the name!! :w00t:

I'm thinking sparkling sasquatches... :innocent: With Kirsten Steward saying, "They are so beautiful!!"

Edited by DieChecker

Race you to the trademark on the name!! :w00t:

I'm thinking sparkling sasquatches... :innocent: With Kirsten Steward saying, "They are so beautiful!!"

Or Lambent Werewoves starring a twirking Miley Cyrus, Werewolf Killer. In the first episode her partner, coolguy, teaches her his secret Werewolf killing technique, The Curly Shuffle.
  • Like 1

Big Foot is more than a cryptid now, he is big business & makes a lot of money & money, well that makes the world go round :gun:

I do know that a couple towns around the Pacific Northwest have bigfoot statues here and there, and the kids always ask "What's that?". And then you have to start in with all the stories and myths. Well, you don't have to, but it makes a good story to tell kids. So just the objects (like Bigfoot crossing signs) that people put out bring up the subject and thus also help keep it a subject of discussion.

I typed a long cynical response to my feelings on bigfoot and then I realized that it was pointless. Basically logic should tell you that such an animal can't exist, it is a tall tale amplified by a countless amount of misidentifications and hoaxers that will persist until we've mapped every square centimeter of the planet and even then the stories will continue.

Maybe because it's been around for about 40-50 years, so it's kind of got a legacy in American culture. Or maybe even because of the Patterson-Gimlin film. That footage really made Bigfoot skyrocket in popularity and awareness.

I'm just kind of throwing out guesses. :P

Maybe it is because people keep seeing one

Maybe it is because people keep seeing one

Well, people sure continue to claim to see it so perhaps that is where the real thrill of Bigfoot resides...

• Like 1