Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mexican Canninbals Destory Civilization

bubblykiss

........of the Anasazi. At least that is one of the prominent theories.

So we have a lot of information and not a lot of information. Few things interest me more than the crash of the Anasazi civilization. What do you think was their undoing?

http://youtu.be/XsVCB2lIVG0?t=22m45s

Warfare

Stress on the environment may have been reflected in the social structure, leading to conflict and warfare. Near Kayenta, Arizona, Jonathan Haas of the Field Museum in Chicago has been studying a group of Ancient Pueblo villages that relocated from the canyons to the high mesa tops during the late 13th century. The only reason Haas can see for a move so far from water and arable land is defense against enemies. He asserts that isolated communities relied on raiding for food and supplies, and that internal conflict and warfare became common in the 13th century.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anasazi#Warfare

Plus

Rethinking Civilization - Crash Course World History 201

Published on Jul 11, 2014

In which John Green returns to teaching World History! This week, we'll be talking about the idea of civilization, some of the traditional hallmarks of so-called civilization, and why some people would choose to live outside the civilization model. It turns out, not everyone who lives outside of what we traditionally think of as a "civilized" social order is necessarily a barbarian! To defuse any tension you may be feeling, I'll just tell you now, the Mongols are back. You'll learn about Zomia, swidden agriculture, and even a little about anarchy!

My understanding was it was Warfare combined with Famine that did the Anasazi in. Invasive population pressures from the east and south and a decade or more of sparse crops if I remember right.

• Like 1

My understanding was it was Warfare combined with Famine that did the Anasazi in. Invasive population pressures from the east and south and a decade or more of sparse crops if I remember right.

I asked my 7 y-o nephew what happened to the vanished Anasazi, he looked me straight in the eye and said they left to go somewhere else.

Maybe kids have a lot more to teach us than we think.

• Like 2

Well, doesn't "Anasazi" just mean "the enemy" rather then what they called themselves?

Maybe they just left their Mesa and went somewhere else.

Well, doesn't "Anasazi" just mean "the enemy" rather then what they called themselves?

Maybe they just left their Mesa and went somewhere else.

To be fair, it is Diné (read: Navajo) for something like *ancient enemy*....as kids we were taught it meant *ancient ones* and *those who have vanished* and most interestingly *those who came before*. And the pueblo people were not Navajo so we get into all kinds of thrilling cross culture linguistic problems.

http://en.wikipedia....Navajo_language

http://en.wikipedia....Dené_languages

Edited by bubblykiss
  • Like 1

bubblykiss wrote:

So we have a lot of information and not a lot of information.

And you lost me right there.

bubblykiss wrote:

And you lost me right there.

Well there are things we know, and things we don't know, and the things we know we know and the things we know we don't know and the things we don't know we know....

• Like 1