Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nazca/Palpa mountain with flat top

Riaan

I have been searching for this particular view of the Nazca/Palpa mountains on Google Earth, with no success. Can anyone locate it? The coordinates of another view are 14°40'35.98"S, 75°14'54.57"W. Your help would be much appreciated!

Figure-69.-palpa_230.jpg

"Palpa Mountains" is not the name of a range. It is just mountains around Palpa.

That's a lot of mountains.

Palpa has it's own lines, like Nasca.

Harte

I have been searching for this particular view of the Nazca/Palpa mountains on Google Earth, with no success. Can anyone locate it? The coordinates of another view are 14°40'35.98"S, 75°14'54.57"W. Your help would be much appreciated!

Figure-69.-palpa_230.jpg

Perhaps a rather presumptuous interjection. The tabletops/mesas pictured above are not artificially leveled "mountain" tops. They are the remnants of an eroded outwash/delta.

The above is noted due to previous misconceptions/misrepresentations by others.

• Like 4

I agree these are not flat topped hills/mountains, this is a plain that has had canyons eroded into it.

I looked and looked, but couldn't find it. Found a lot of places that were close, but not the same.

I tried a reverse google image search and that failed also.

Edited by DieChecker

Yes, I am aware of the fact that the name of the mountain range is not Palpa - I just used it as short-hand for the mountain ranges surrounding the town.

I am also aware that the flat tops are in general a natural phenomenon, but if you look closely, you'll see that the flat tops tend to have a woolly appearance on Google Earth, for want of a better description. That means that they are not 100% flat, due to natural erosion, whereas the sections with the lines on them, interpreted by Von Daniken as 'landing strips', do appear to have been artificially flattened. The photograph is from one of Von Daniken's books. The photograph is real - the same cannot be said of his theories.

Yes, I am aware of the fact that the name of the mountain range is not Palpa - I just used it as short-hand for the mountain ranges surrounding the town.

I am also aware that the flat tops are in general a natural phenomenon, but if you look closely, you'll see that the flat tops tend to have a woolly appearance on Google Earth, for want of a better description. That means that they are not 100% flat, due to natural erosion, whereas the sections with the lines on them, interpreted by Von Daniken as 'landing strips', do appear to have been artificially flattened. The photograph is from one of Von Daniken's books. The photograph is real - the same cannot be said of his theories.

Given the (lack) of detail resolution available from your imagery source, have you ever considered the presence of vegetation/larger lithics, etc? And that outwash plains are not, by the very nature of their formation, "100% flat". Perhaps you may wish to source high resolution LiDAR before reaching such conclusions. And, as you are aware, the "clearing" of surface material was part and parcel of the creation of the surface glyphs associated with the culture(s) in question.

Given the (lack) of detail resolution available from your imagery source, have you ever considered the presence of vegetation/larger lithics, etc? And that outwash plains are not, by the very nature of their formation, "100% flat". Perhaps you may wish to source high resolution LiDAR before reaching such conclusions. And, as you are aware, the "clearing" of surface material was part and parcel of the creation of the surface glyphs associated with the culture(s) in question.

Oh absolutely - I would very much like to obtain such information (the high resolution LIDAR profiles). However, I have no idea whether this exists at all.

Try this place.

Harte

Try this place.

Harte

Thanks! This looks very promising - the contour lines are in 20m steps, which may still be too coarse, but I'll try to locate some of the 'flat tops' and see if one can learn anything from it.