Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

America's forbidden discussion...

supervike

The violence is justified, Fess? Anecdotal evidence suggests we can't take pictures of ourselves anymore either in the wrong place without violence. People conclude that, based on the possibility that you're taking a picture of them, violently assault you in the street for it.

http://youtu.be/9OUmjTGdeQQ

I don't think you've seen all those hood prank vids. There's a lot. Look specifically for hood pranks gone wrong. I said some of it is deserved, not all, but I'll add that it should be entirely expected. First off, they're in 'the hood'. Simply being there is a risk. Provoking groups of people from the hood is even riskier. There's some pranks where they simply walk up to people and ask them if they want to fight. And I believe that resulted in a punch or two. In another, they're asking people, people in groups, on the street if they want to buy a gun only to have a squirt gun in his back pocket. That provoked some reactions including one where a dude said I already got one and pulled it on him. Could've been killed. Another mark when straight into attack mode and grabbed him up and threw him against a wall. These pranksters are asking for it IMO and in the opinion of some of their marks. As I said, some went overboard in their reactions and some I don't blame. Odds are, if you provoke enough people who don't know you sooner than later your going to get what's coming. Don't turn this into something. You know I'm right.

Edited by F3SS

Well "The Hood" is being used tongue-in-cheek here Fess. Yes, eating someone's pizza was asking for it. But on balance these videos are at the very least a valuable social experiment. How do we know what risks we really face in society unless the lines are tested? Are we a society so thin skinned that we can't even take words like "neighbor", we can't even tolerate being farted on, we can't even tolerate a phone held up in front of us? It's going to be difficult to condemn any violence when we're accepting this violence over these reasons. That you can safely navigate society and not get yourself hurt means that you're not going to collect the data that the pranksters are but it doesn't mean it's not an issue.

I don't know man. Looks hood enough for me. Compton, the Bronx? Anyway, getting in someone's personal space the way they do is asking for it in or out of the hood. I'm generally nice and laid back and will avoid confrontation by all means. But... Every so often I might be having a real bad day and I might be real miserable and if someone I don't know invades my personal space and farts on me I just might react uncharacteristically and do something aggressive. That shouldn't be a reflection on the whole of my character but it is certainly a reflection of the risk involved in confronting strangers in the ways they do.

I don't know man. Looks hood enough for me. Compton, the Bronx? Anyway, getting in someone's personal space the way they do is asking for it in or out of the hood. I'm generally nice and laid back and will avoid confrontation by all means. But... Every so often I might be having a real bad day and I might be real miserable and if someone I don't know invades my personal space and farts on me I just might react uncharacteristically and do something aggressive. That shouldn't be a reflection on the whole of my character but it is certainly a reflection of the risk involved in confronting strangers in the ways they do.

It is a reflection of your character boss. It's a violent one.

And the video I think produces some thought provoking questions. What kind of a life is the woman and children who end up with one of these men going to have to deal with? What do they get for disrespecting daddy?

It is a reflection of your character boss. It's a violent one.

Really? That's as absurd as everything Psyche said about you and your urge to kill. I haven't had any kind of fight since I was maybe 15 and haven't intentionally killed an animal since a little before that. Embarrassingly, in 5th grade I was voted kindest in the class. Got the yearbook to prove it.

Really? That's as absurd as everything Psyche said about you and your urge to kill. I haven't had any kind of fight since I was maybe 15 and haven't intentionally killed an animal since a little before that. Embarrassingly, in 5th grade I was voted kindest in the class. Got the yearbook to prove it.

If you'll get violent with someone who "gets in your space" just because you're having a bad day, someone else might get violent with someone who gets in their space because they're drunk. Or on meth, PCP, pain pills, crack or it's that time of the month, or whatever. That's not a good excuse for violence bro.

But let's dig into this "asking for it" a bit further.

When people are stolen from, or they perceive to be getting stolen from, violence is acceptable in the world we want to live in. Is that correct?

^^^ It certainly is...

If you'll get violent with someone who "gets in your space" just because you're having a bad day, someone else might get violent with someone who gets in their space because they're drunk. Or on meth, PCP, pain pills, crack or it's that time of the month, or whatever. That's not a good excuse for violence bro.

I didn't validate it as a good excuse of imply that I'd feel good about it. But when somebody does something stupid like in the video above I can certainly understand it.

• Like 1

When people are stolen from, or they perceive to be getting stolen from, violence is acceptable in the world we want to live in. Is that correct?

If you want to get down to it and you believe in things like The Castle Law, as I'm sure you do, then I guess it would technically have to be a yes.

If you want to get down to it and you believe in things like The Castle Law, as I'm sure you do, then I guess it would technically have to be a yes.

Alright then, we get guns and we shoot to kill criminals who would capture, control, surround, invade, or steal our homes from us. I didn't even need religion to figure that one out. Crazy.

^^^ It certainly is...

I didn't validate it as a good excuse of imply that I'd feel good about it. But when somebody does something stupid like in the video above I can certainly understand it.

And therefore you must also certainly understand other examples of violence for reasons far more devastating than these.

Could you be clearer?

Meaning that violence is understandable under certain conditions in the form of violations of our liberty, such as having our property (liquids, pizzas, etc) taken.

Without reading through the thread. I think we have an inner city cultural problem. It's not just black people and the "thug" culture the "trailer trash white people" our even The "native American drunk" all have stereotypes built in reality.

We must give up the race equivocation and address the the fundamental problems some of which are deep and go back hundreds of years. Fatherless black kids..... bull****. There are just as much fatherless white kids. It's the negative sides of spacfic defensive cultures that need to be addressed. But of course most people can only see black and white. It will be our undoing.

Without reading through the thread. I think we have an inner city cultural problem.

What do you mean?

We must give up the race equivocation and address the the fundamental problems some of which are deep and go back hundreds of years.

What are these fundamental problems?

Fatherless black kids..... bull****. There are just as much fatherless white kids.

That's not the case. There are far more Black single parent families than any other demographic (except Natives). Any reliable data analysis will bear this out. Here's the first result I got when I did a quick search;

• Like 1

Embarrassingly, in 5th grade I was voted kindest in the class. Got the yearbook to prove it.

Even worse, I won the Betty Crocker Homemaker of the Year Award.

Harte

• Like 3

Harte

So we've got two awards not one boy in the world would be jeleous of. Yay us!

• Like 1

Harte

. Embarrassingly, in 5th grade I was voted kindest in the class. Got the yearbook to prove it.

You guys have definitely solidified a place in my heart... :wub::blush:

• Like 2

Crickets, Fess? Is violence certainly understandable when our liberty is being violated, including examples like having our property (liquids, pizzas, etc) taken?

Or does that really depend on the politics politicians and policies, making my question really really hard to answer...??

^^^ It certainly is...

Crickets, Fess? Is violence certainly understandable when our liberty is being violated, including examples like having our property (liquids, pizzas, etc) taken?

Or does that really depend on the politics politicians and policies, making my question really really hard to answer...??

I don't think it is really hard to answer. You asked the same question 5 posts ago, and he said "It certainly is..." How would you like him to explain it more clearly?

I'm going to be honest. I really don't know what to tell you. All I remember talking about was getting your ass kicked on the street for doing dumb things on the street. Seems like common streetwise knowledge to me. Then I make some extremely hypothetical scenario about me having a bad day when you decided to inform me and all others that by all of your wisdom I am to be deemed a violent character as if I am that and I know it. Now politics comes in...

These are entertaining videos which contain violence that you are entertained by. We agree that they are entertaining yet won't engage an entertaining conversation. Not everything needs to be so serious.

• Like 1

I don't think it is really hard to answer. You asked the same question 5 posts ago, and he said "It certainly is..." How would you like him to explain it more clearly?

Thanks man. I should've said that.

I'm going to be honest. I really don't know what to tell you. All I remember talking about was getting your ass kicked on the street for doing dumb things on the street. Seems like common streetwise knowledge to me. Then I make some extremely hypothetical scenario about me having a bad day when you decided to inform me and all others that by all of your wisdom I am to be deemed a violent character as if I am that and I know it. Now politics comes in...

These are entertaining videos which contain violence that you are entertained by. We agree that they are entertaining yet won't engage an entertaining conversation. Not everything needs to be so serious.

As for you sir, I don't think you're violent on balance and never thought that. But if you would initiate violence on someone who gets in your space and annoys you after you have a really bad day, that is a violent element. So there's a nugget of violence in you. I'm sure you'll agree with that.

Returning to the point, street wisdom applies to bureaucrats in their marble halls too, does it not? That's why I'm trying to flesh this thing out. And why you should want to help.