Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why do we have blood types?

Still Waters

In 1900 the Austrian physician Karl Landsteiner first discovered blood types, winning the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his research in 1930. Since then scientists have developed ever more powerful tools for probing the biology of blood types. They've found some intriguing clues about them - tracing their deep ancestry, for example, and detecting influences of blood types on our health. And yet I found that in many ways blood types remain strangely mysterious. Scientists have yet to come up with a good explanation for their very existence.

http://www.bbc.com/f...ave-blood-types

• Like 1

Interesting article, never new about the Bombay phenotype. I'm curious, if certain blood types are less prone to be affected by certain viruses, and that certain people with certain blood types can actually have their blood type randomly mutate, would it be possible to force the mutation of a blood type into something that would make humans more resistant to virus and disease in general?

• 1 month later...

About 45 years ago their was a small band of Fox Indians. My Mom taught for 2 years there-1room school house.

This tribe had/has the blood group MN.

Their are a good number of odd/small blood types through out the world... Not as odd as the aritucle would have you believe.

Now eat right for your type...

I do belive they're on to something good

For 25 days i eat when i wanted and the amount i wanted.

Every thing just about was deep fried

No exercise, ect

BUT it was ONLY benificale or nuteral foods i ate for my blood type.

I lost 47lbs.

And it stayed off.

It makes no since.....

Interesting article, never new about the Bombay phenotype. I'm curious, if certain blood types are less prone to be affected by certain viruses, and that certain people with certain blood types can actually have their blood type randomly mutate, would it be possible to force the mutation of a blood type into something that would make humans more resistant to virus and disease in general?

randomly mutating is not a very good sign, the very mutation could be unstable and cause more pain than the viruses, we need to find a more controllable mutation rather than random

randomly mutating is not a very good sign, the very mutation could be unstable and cause more pain than the viruses, we need to find a more controllable mutation rather than random

The whole evolution was possible through random mutation, what worked became dominant, what did not recessive.

The whole evolution was possible through random mutation, what worked became dominant, what did not recessive.

true that random mutation gotten us this far but it can aswell take us the other way, we're very lucky so far that we've not encountered any problems so far, but if we trigger random mutation at high speed it won't work as evolution did.

Thank you very much Still Waters, just the other day I asked myself the same question.

A very timely answer (even if it didn't answer so much)!

I also wondered if we are the only species with blood types, but according to the article only primates (so far) have been found to have blood types.

That's a very interesting find. I wonder why only primates

• Like 1

Obsolete ideas.

Presently, it is no longer accepted that we have blood "types."

These days, we have blood "texts." :w00t:

Harte

• Like 1

Obsolete ideas.

Presently, it is no longer accepted that we have blood "types."

These days, we have blood "texts." :w00t:

Harte

Which means?

Come ON!

You know, nobody "types" anymore.

Harte

• Like 1

Please excuse my ignorance. My blood type is B+.

Has it now changed?

Okay okay!

I admit it was a bad joke! :w00t:

Harte

• Like 1

Okay okay!

Harte

I thought it was funny.

As to blood types...my daughter always sais pork made her stomach hurt. She is a blood type 'O', same as me According to the blood type diet, pork is a no-no for us. We have cut out all pork...even bacon *sobs* and we are both feeling better.

• Like 1

Okay okay!

Harte

Fool me once,

Shame on you.

Fool me twice,

Shame on me!

I didn't even pick that one up.

Well done. :tsu: :tsu: :tsu: