Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Malaysian Aircraft shot down over Ukraine

seeder

Does frankly seem bloody stupid to be routing flights over that area, this could very easily happen through sheer confusion without any need for frankly bonkers conspiracy theories..

I was on a flight from Paris to Delhi and we flew right over Afghanistan during the height of the conflict. It was at night and I did notice that we had our landing lights on the entire time we were in Afghan airspace.

• Like 2

News is now suggesting it may have been shot down in error...as.. they say a plane so high would have been very hard to differentiate from a military plane..

• Like 2

Wow, my condolences to the families of those that passed. What a terrible incident, I hope they can properly identify the source of the missile launch as i'm sure Malaysians are going to be outraged and demand justice.

• Like 3

Did they find this newly downed one?

yes, and all the bodies laying around it

• Like 5

More BBC updates

1. 18:25:
    Graphic images from the crash site, showing debris and bodies, are currently being broadcast by the privately-owned pro-Kremlin rolling Russian news channel LifeNews, our colleagues at BBC Monitoring report.

2. 18:24:
    The Interfax news agency quotes Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko as saying the incident was a "terrorist act", Reuters reports.

3. 18:20:
    The UK department of transport issues a statement stating: "Flights already airborne are being routed around the area by air traffic control in the region." Pilots around the world are being advised to plan routes that avoid the area, it adds.

Edited by Still Waters
Removed copyrighted images
  • Like 2

At least they know where this one is.

Going to be interesting watching the blame game play out :/

News is now suggesting it may have been shot down in error...as.. they say a plane so high would have been very hard to differentiate from a military plane..

I think that's very likely. The Rebels have been known to shoot at military aircraft passing overhead, I expect they almost certainly assumed that was what it was. Or of course, it could have been the Ukrainians thinking it was a Russian plane assisting the Rebels, or maybe even the Russians themselves thinking it was a Ukrainian plane intruding in their airspace. Whichever, simple fog of war.

• Like 4

Why would they shoot at it if they couldn't identify it? What if it were a Russian plane and the Russian-backed separatists had shot it down? That wouldn't help their cause, and it sure could happen if they are shooting at anything without identifying it first. Stupid.

Edited by Slate

Why would they shoot at it if they couldn't identify it?

see the Admirals post above yours

Edited by seeder

Why would they shoot at it if they couldn't identify it? What if it were a Russian plane and the Russian-backed separatists had shot it down? That wouldn't help their cause, but it sure could happen if they are shooting at anything without identifying it first. Stupid.

Ukrainians probably thought it was a Russian spy plane or the such :/

Imagine if there were some Americans onboard.. Brits even

Imagine if there were some Americans onboard.. Brits even

I'm sure there will be.

"Separatists have acknowledged shooting down an aircraft at approximately same time in approximately this location, claiming it was a Ukrainian military transport plane.[13] An Associated Press reporter on Thursday saw seven rebel-owned tanks parked at a gas station outside the eastern Ukrainian town of Snizhne. In the town, he also observed a Buk missile system, which can fire missiles up to an altitude of 22,000 meters (72,000 feet)"

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/ukraine-air-force-jet-downed-russian-missile-24598894

• Like 1

simple fog of war.

Maybe the mistake was simple to make, but the repercussions are not going to be simple. Pressure from around the world is probably going to increase on them dramatically.

• Like 1

I'm sure there will be.

Just in:

#BREAKING: Number of dead from crash of #MH17 more than 300, includes 23 U.S. citizen: Interior Ministry adviser, quoted by Interfax

Live text updates here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-28354787

• Like 3

18:41:

A Facebook page affiliated to Ukraine's pro-European EuroMaidan movement has posted images of Ukrainians offering condolences at the Malaysian embassy in Kiev, with one lady carrying a placard with the slogan: "Putin is a murderer", our colleagues at BBC Monitoring report. (Link in Ukrainian)

Didnt take long for that page did it?

• Like 1

LUFTHANSA just announced to not enter the Ukraine airspace untill further notice.

Hope that all other A/L will act that way soonest.

Rest in peace. Someone is going to pay for this.

• Like 4

It is now. Seen it too many places already to be a lie. This is not good. Should they really be flying commercial flights there?

The unfortunate truth is, flight routes are often to save fuel. For instance, if you go from Miami, Florida to Grand Cayman, BWI, you fly across Cuba and Cuba collects a fee for each flyover. The alternative would be to fly around Cuba, which is the largest island in the Caribbean, probably doubling your fuel cost and time in the air. I'm sure the Malaysian air and its pilots were not expecting trouble at 33,000 feet, but sometimes horrible things happen no one is expecting. A few decades ago China shot down a Korean Air commercial flight that wandered into its airspace if memory serves.

Putin had been saying that he was going to make them pay for the arty shell that killed a civilian in Russia a few days ago. Seems reasonable to assume he might have been attempting to follow through on the threat. So sad for the families...

P. might be a beast but he isn`t such a beast.

19:00:

A tweet (in Russian) from a key Twitter account used by pro-Russian separatists, in which they claim to have captured a Buk surface-to-air missile system, has now been deleted, BBC Monitoring observes. Ukrainians say the Malaysian plane could have been downed with a Buk, but pro-Russian rebels have now denied they have it.

The unfortunate truth is, flight routes are often to save fuel. For instance, if you go from Miami, Florida to Grand Cayman, BWI, you fly across Cuba and Cuba collects a fee for each flyover. The alternative would be to fly around Cuba, which is the largest island in the Caribbean, probably doubling your fuel cost and time in the air. I'm sure the Malaysian air and its pilots were not expecting trouble at 33,000 feet, but sometimes horrible things happen no one is expecting. A few decades ago China shot down a Korean Air commercial flight that wandered into its airspace if memory serves.

KAL 007 - the Soviets shot that one down.

I won't begin to assert conspiracies. Maybe tomorrow.

For today, RIP to those who needlessly lost their lives.

This is why I don't fly.

Edited by Drayno
  • Like 4

Russian president jet might have been the target - RT

really? it would of shown up on flight radar 24