Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Space Tourism Poll

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Tourism  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Space Tourism is a good thing?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
  2. 2. If ticket prices were affordable would you take a trip into space?

• Yes
    • No, it's too dangerous
    • No, I'd rather spend the money on something else
    • No, I'm scared of flying
    • No for a different reason (please post and specify)
    • Undecided

With Virgin Galactic due to take paying passengers into space later this year and other companies preparing to enter the market we stand on the edge of a new space age.

At the moment ticket prices are so high that only the rich can afford them, but, as with air travel, fares are likely to fall.

So the questions I'm asking are:

Is space tourism a good idea?

If ticket prices fell to an affordable level would you book a flight into space? If not why not.

I guess if you know my posts then you'll know my answers... absolutely yes to both.

I look forward to your replies.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

Lilly, I put in that option just for you.

Is any company given an actual date for their first flight yet?

Seemed to be so many testing various things out but it has all gone quiet again.

I had to vote undecided for both.

I really like the notion of space tourism, but considering how tourism can be, I'm a little leery about it. Tourists can be rather neglectful and rude about where they visit, and the people catering to tourists can be almost as bad, sticking it for the buck. I might be biased because I live in a tourist area though.

My indecision about tourism itself makes me not sure if I would be a tourist and buy a ticket. I think it would be fantastic to do it in theory though.

Tourists can be rather neglectful and rude about where they visit, and the people catering to tourists can be almost as bad, sticking it for the buck.

When I started the poll I wasn't really thinking that far ahead.

Whilst I don't doubt that one day there will be tourist trips to the Moon or Mars I was thinking more short term, for trips like Virgin and XCOR have planned; suborbital trips that just take you above the 62 mile limit that constitutes the start of space and then back to where you started. As the flights will only be a few hours long, with only a few minutes spent in space, and no one will leave the craft I don't expect this to be a problem for a while yet.

I voted Yes on both questions because I'd love to go into space. I always wanted to be an astronaut but was too scared and not fully trained. It's a very exciting trip, if you think about it. A few weeks ago I dreamt about being in a space ship for a holiday.

• Like 1

When I started the poll I wasn't really thinking that far ahead.

Whilst I don't doubt that one day there will be tourist trips to the Moon or Mars I was thinking more short term, for trips like Virgin and XCOR have planned; suborbital trips that just take you above the 62 mile limit that constitutes the start of space and then back to where you started. As the flights will only be a few hours long, with only a few minutes spent in space, and no one will leave the craft I don't expect this to be a problem for a while yet.

Oh, well.. If it's just for launch trips, my poll answers would have been yes and yes then :yes: