Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The importance of journaling

markdohle

The importance of journaling

Writing down ones thoughts can be a very helpful way to search the depths of the inner life, and in doing so learn what is believed and known by the one writing. Our everyday consciousness is there to keep us grounded in the world around us, to allow us to relate to those around us in such a way that we are not perceived as a threat etc. When living around a great deal of people,, working in crowded work environments, in driving along busy highways, in our dealings with those our jobs bring us in contact with, our family relationships etc., a great deal of self discipline is needed to get through the day sanely and without becoming a loose canon.. In other words we have to repress a great deal of material. Otherwise we would not be able to function, at least not for any extended period of time. Yet the stress is there and it builds and can harm us on many levels.

I believe that most people can write well enough that keeping some sort of journal is possible and helpful. Entertainment is an outlet and without it culture would implode and explode at the same time. We let off steam, our bodies can become less stressful and we enjoy ourselves. Writing is different. If a journal is based on seeking to understand our inner workings in how we survive from day to day and to delve in the ways that some of our adaptations can be self destructive….it is then that cycles can be stopped or their influence lessened in our lives. Writing opens up, slowly at first, but as we gain humility in accepting different aspects of our inner lives, bringing us to an ever deeper understanding of our memories and experiences that drive and control us on a daily bases. Why do we react the way we do, why do certain people attract or repel us, why do we overeat, or overwork, or spend way too much money. Slowly we come to some understanding of ourselves that is not possible unless we take time to actually get acquainted with our inner lives…..which is deeper and vaster than our everyday conscious awareness.

Any kind of spiritual life that is not in some way built on the need of self-knowledge is a waste of time. It leads nowhere. In any-case self knowledge may be impossible to avoid if anyone embarks on the journey with a conscious desire to grow inwardly. Once the seed is planted and the desire, no matter how weak it is, that is enough to allow the seed to take root and to slowly do its work. That seed is what I call grace.

Everyday if some little writing is done, no matter if it seems to lead nowhere, it is not a waste of time. The practice or the desire to go deeper will bare fruit. The more you stir by writing, the more you will get. The more you read and study the more fuel you will have to weave what you learn into your life on a regular basis when journaling. This leads to a deeper relationship with your-self, and more empathy and insight into others.

Our human journey, while unique how each experiences and lives it out, it is also common to all. This knowledge is in itself healing. Acceptance of others grows because of our own evolving relationship with ourselves. So yes, writing or journal keeping is very important for ones inner growth. In fact, for many, it may be essential.

For those with faith, this practice will only deepen ones conscious connection with ones “Higher Power”. For in having a deeper relationship with oneself, naturally leads to deeper communion with the Infinite along with love and trust. Trust is a choice, we don’t fall into it. Once the illusion is gone that we can hide from the loving gaze of that in whose image we are made in is impossible, then we begin to open up and flower as loving human beings who have no illusions about ourselves. Deeper in and higher up as the saying goes, an unending journey of finite creatures that have an infinite ability to respond to the grace and love of the Eternal Beloved.

• Like 2

The only problem is, what one person calls journaling, a prosecuting attorney will call evidence. :innocent:

• Like 1

The only problem is, what one person calls journaling, a prosecuting attorney will call evidence. :innocent:

LOL, in cases like that, write in code :devil:

Peace

mark

It's been more years than I care to remember since I kept a diary. I have thought about starting again as it would be handy at times, but I don't suppose I will.

My mother keeps one but she's getting on in years and uses it to remember things on a day to day basis. In fact she'd be lost without it. I'm glad she keeps it up though as she really does rely on it an awful lot.

• Like 1

It's been more years than I care to remember since I kept a diary. I have thought about starting again as it would be handy at times, but I don't suppose I will.

My mother keeps one but she's getting on in years and uses it to remember things on a day to day basis. In fact she'd be lost without it. I'm glad she keeps it up though as she really does rely on it an awful lot.

Journal keeping is not for everyone my friend. Those who need to, simply journal ;-). I bet you mom has lots of volumes of her diary.

Peace

mark

• Like 1

Indeed mark. Our minds our frail and our lessons easily lost to circumstance and time. Journaling always reminds you who you where and you can then reflect on who you are. Then journal it. Because what you are today will not be what you are a day ago, month,, a decade, only the journal will record it because your mind will make exceptions.

My advice is to journal as much as possible. It's the one of the ways to get to know yourself.

• Like 1

Indeed mark. Our minds our frail and our lessons easily lost to circumstance and time. Journaling always reminds you who you where and you can then reflect on who you are. Then journal it. Because what you are today will not be what you are a day ago, month,, a decade, only the journal will record it because your mind will make exceptions.

My advice is to journal as much as possible. It's the one of the ways to get to know yourself.

Wise words, thank you my friend.

Peace

Mark

I not only write down my thoughts.. but I write down my desires and intentions...

then I manifest them like a flame

Edited by LostSouls7
  • Like 1

I not only write down my thoughts.. but I write down my desires and intentions...

then I manifest them like a flame

Magic?

this would be the only reason i keep one - and i think the time is coming soon :)

i used to keep a journal off and on for most of my life. then one day i burned every single one of them with the realization that what's behind me is no longer important.

• Like 1

this would be the only reason i keep one - and i think the time is coming soon :)

i used to keep a journal off and on for most of my life. then one day i burned every single one of them with the realization that what's behind me is no longer important.

That is true if it is let go of.....

Peace

Mark

• Like 1

I might start, it could be a means of clearing the chaos out of my head. Instead of letting it build up like a pressure cooker.

• Like 1

I might start, it could be a means of clearing the chaos out of my head. Instead of letting it build up like a pressure cooker.

Writing does do that my friend. IN fact sometimes after I write, I feel lighter......no puns please.

Peace

Mark