Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysteries of medieval graffiti found

Still Waters

Medieval graffiti of straw kings, pentagrams, crosses, ships and "demon traps" have been offering a tantalising glimpse into England's past. What do the pictures reveal about life in the Middle Ages?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-28035013

• Like 2

Mystery? its graffiti. but today they have more advanced "tools".

Suppose in a few hundred years we will have another load of "graffiti project co-ordinators" wanting to delve into the minds of the people who did this?

4466219477_f9f8c59d70.jpg

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

Mystery? its graffiti. but today they have more advanced "tools".

I agree freeto....Most of it is just that..graffiti.

In my work, I found many instances of 'doodles' scratched into stonework...mainly in church porches in areas which used softer stone...like the sandstone of the Oxford area for instance. I imagine some of it was due to boredom and some, just...."Egbert wuz here"!

Brenchley church in Kent has some very interesting scratchings in the porch and over the lytchgate.

• Like 1

I saw a lot fewer crude designs vaguely replicating human genitalia than I wanted. Plus the *Straw King* is nothing more than the 100s of years old blue-print for the Burger King.

the fact that grafitti is ordinary doesn't make it dull, though, not to my mind at least. the fact that you can see and read things written by ordinary people, the people who are so often left out of narrative history, is pretty worthwile i think.

even if all they had to say was "for a good time, call cynethryth"

• Like 1

the fact that grafitti is ordinary doesn't make it dull, though, not to my mind at least. the fact that you can see and read things written by ordinary people, the people who are so often left out of narrative history, is pretty worthwile i think.

even if all they had to say was "for a good time, call cynethryth"

Absolutely, not all graffiti is dull. But here is one man who will certainly not be left out of narrative history, many graffiti artists rather remain anonymous, its their choice.

http://www.theweek.c...n-unmask-artist

A lot of graffiti is there to be admired because of the talent of the artist, some are statements, some are just "art". To try and find an interpretation of the meanings IMO is the same as interpreting certain paintings, you see, you think, you imagine, you like, you don`t like...its all a matter of individual opinions so in reference to this:

their precise meaning is not always clear.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-28035013

maybe it was not meant to be, instead of trying to decipher it, just stand back and admire it and use your own imagination, just like the artist did.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 2

i agree in the most part, but i wasn't really talking about naming people. just knowing that these people existed, and that they were able to communicate in a small way is enough.

• Like 1