Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

45th anniversary of the Moon landing

Merc14

I will show you why is need to return at Moon...look at these fotos from LRO year 1967, what kind of cities are in the moon...

https://drive.google...dit?usp=sharing Saludos.

The fact that you write that the pictures where taken more than 40 years before the LRO was launched (2009), speaks volumes about the level of research involved on that site.

• Like 1

The fact that you write that the pictures where taken more than 40 years before the LRO was launched (2009), speaks volumes about the level of research involved on that site.

To be fair it shows little about the level of research on that site, it says huge amounts about the knowledge of the poster. The site correctly identifies the images as having come from Lunar Orbiter.

• Like 1

They did indeed :tu:

And one of the best things about it ,was when we all heard those famous words now 45 years later,"The Eagle has landed" Everyone on this world was actually proud,I remember ! Do you Remember?

• Like 1

And one of the best things about it ,was when we all heard those famous words now 45 years later,"The Eagle has landed" Everyone on this world was actually proud,I remember ! Do you Remember?

I was too young to be proud... but I do remember.

I was 3 1/2 years old, and it was the early hours of the morning here in the UK. I don't know if my father woke me up to watch it or whether I was awake and got up to see what was happening but I ended up sitting on his lap watching those ghostly figures leaving their footprints on an alien world.

It is probably my earliest memory (either that or my sister falling in a fish pond) and it left me with the fascination and enthusiasm I still have today (Apollo 11 that is, not the fish pond).

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 4

I was 12 years old - the whole school stopped everything and we watched events unfold in the assembly hall on television and listened to the radio... these are days that you never forget - respect and gratitude to MID as one of the links in the chain. Never forgotten mate...

Lets also remember the enormous role played by European engineers seconded to the project (not those from Operation Paperclip - but those that came later). Without them this would never have happened - scientific endeavour should never be delineated by ones Nationality, but by the common bond of curiosity and discovery (forgive the pun).

Edited by keithisco

I was born in 1973, so no moonlandings in my lifetime :cry:

I have heard from others how big it was. My parents stayed up all night to watch it live.

I guess the closest comparison for me was the fall of the Berlin wall. That was an amazing experience and I would imagine that the moonlanding would be something on that scale. A once in a lifetime event !

I hope to see the first Mars landing in my lifetime though.

• Like 3

Think about how much has changed since that day. I was just a little guy living in Hawaii back then. I think if anyone were to be transported straight from that day, with all it's hope and optimism, directly to this morning and made to watch the morning news, they would think that the world was in the last throws of destroying itself. It's unbelievable what we've come to tolerate and become used to over these last few decades.

Think about how much has changed since that day. I was just a little guy living in Hawaii back then. I think if anyone were to be transported straight from that day, with all it's hope and optimism, directly to this morning and made to watch the morning news, they would think that the world was in the last throws of destroying itself. It's unbelievable what we've come to tolerate and become used to over these last few decades.

Well, Israel is still fighting its arab enemies and Russia is being a bully but at least the USSR is extinct and the cold war ended, two things that a person from 1969 would find hard to believe and something that would cause them great joy. The world was not a very peaceful place back then and one thing Apollo did was unite the world, even citizens in the USSR for a fewe days.

I think I'd be disappointed to see that we stopped man exploration but amazed at the incredible knowledge we have attained about the nature of our universe. Just showing a man from 1969 the Hubble Telescope and its images woud be awe inducing. Then show them high res photos from the surface of Mars!

• Like 1

Well, Israel is still fighting its arab enemies and Russia is being a bully but at least the USSR is extinct and the cold war ended, two things that a person from 1969 would find hard to believe and something that would cause them great joy. The world was not a very peaceful place back then and one thing Apollo did was unite the world, even citizens in the USSR for a fewe days.

I think I'd be disappointed to see that we stopped man exploration but amazed at the incredible knowledge we have attained about the nature of our universe. Just showing a man from 1969 the Hubble Telescope and its images woud be awe inducing. Then show them high res photos from the surface of Mars!

Well said.

• Like 1

I was 14 and from that moment forward In my life I always Looked towards the Stars and Sky ! Avaition,Fast cars,Faster Planes anything to be Like an Astronaut !

Today we all stand on the shoulders of these Great man & Women of our Space programs ! We do owe a great deal to to the engineers from paper clip. Wernher Von Braun really was the start of NASA. :tu:

• Like 1

I was 14 and from that moment forward In my life I always Looked towards the Stars and Sky ! Avaition,Fast cars,Faster Planes anything to be Like an Astronaut !

Today we all stand on the shoulders of these Great man & Women of our Space programs ! We do owe a great deal to to the engineers from paper clip. Wernher Von Braun really was the start of NASA. :tu:

I know the feeling. It awoke a "We can do anything!" spirit in many of us. I never wanted to fly in space and I know that sounds weird but the aviation, fast cars and faster planes really attracted me and if those guys from middle America could do it then I damn well could too. They weren't special people, they were normal men that did amazing things and I never listened to "you can't" again.

I flew with a few astronauts (future astronauts at the time), ate with them lived on the same boat and ate the same chow. One of them made one of the most heroic landings on the back of the ship that you could imagine. Great guy as well.

I never wanted to go to space with NASA though, too controlled and too scripted, didn't fit my personaility, although I'd have loved to launch in a shuttle once just for the ride. Test pilot stuff, different breed of cat. I was never astronaut material and I respect their commitment completely. Some very fine aviators went to NASA and some not so great but they succeed and the job they did on Hubble engendered unending respect. Such a huge failure and joke turned into such an amazing and incredible scientific instrument that has changed everything. I still remember the day they said it was working better than designed.

Edited by Merc14

So many OLDDDDDD People!!!

Actually I was not yet one in 1969 when they landed. I guess that makes me old also?

• Like 1

So many OLDDDDDD People!!!

Actually I was not yet one in 1969 when they landed. I guess that makes me old also?

No it doesn't! I'd love to be 45 again or thereabouts.

Watched it with mom and dad after biting my nails off during the landing. Still rings in my ears. "Picking up some dust. Contact lights. Houston, Tranquility Base, the Eagle has landed." Roger, Tranquility, we copy you on the ground. You gotta a bunch a guys about to turn blue. We're breathin' again. Thanks a lot." That'a how I remember it after 45 years, and how the mission control guy garbled the word "Tranquility".

• Like 1

The moon had been conquered already before i was born but im guessing the thrill and excitement i experienced watching the first space shuttle launch live on tv is just as significant, a giant leap of kinds, to a 10year old anyhow. Like who else can remember the date of the first shuttle launch off the top of their heads?

April 12th 1981 :lol:

To be fair I googled it!

Watch out or I will beat you with my cane! :yes:

Not if I take your granny glasses!! :whistle:

Not if I take your granny glasses!! :whistle:

They are called 'trifocals' and I'll simply swing my cane at your blurry form!

• Like 2

Not old, just experienced.

Actually there is a formula to calculate old age

X=W+1

Where:

X is old age (in years)

W is Waspie's current age (in years).

• Like 3

Man I missed out on some good stuff. Not much in the "Once in a Lifetime Experience" department while I've been alive, nothing good anyway.

Of course I plan on another 60 years at least!

• Like 1

Of course I plan on another 60 years at least!

You'll be around for the first man on Mars...maybe even first contact with ET (who knows).

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I get another 20 years!

• Like 2

I plan on living to 150, because my wife says I have to outlive her before I can become a space ranger, or asteroid miner.

• Like 2

Me too Im good for at least another 100 years ! Come on Magic pills ! :tu: