Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's the appeal of mundane simulator games?

Still Waters

Whether it is managing a campsite, driving a long-haul lorry, mending a car or working a rubbish lorry, more and more people are passionately playing simulator games that accurately replicate everyday life.

But who is it that plays these games? And what makes people play them when you could just do the real thing?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...nology-28238064

Same reason people buy or pay to use expensive exercise machines when they could just do the real thing; peer pressure and convenience. You don't have to leave the comfort of a controlled environment and actually experience the rigors of the totally real outdoors. Then there's the fascination and immersion in a three dimensional environment on screen.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I play a variety of simulators, Planes, Spaceships, Racing, And military. I enjoy the learning curve and all the reading, Once your on the edge of your car or plane or micro managing a squad whilst being under fire without casualties there is a great sense of achievement. I got into racing that much at one point I even brought a sim wheel with pedals and h shifter and sequential shifter.

I wish I could have a chance to fly a plane or drive a race car around a track but its the money.. I cant just have a one in a life time experience I will always want more. I'm not into it as much as I was because of work and hobbies " I suppose you could class it as a hobby" but it was a blast not one regret.

But Simulators are good.. I'm would not be surprised if there is people out there who'd played a sim and actually got all there qualifications and tock it up for a job.

I sometimes like to play games that are not very entertaining or fulfilling, like I play garbage Truck simulator, street cleaning simulator, or drive around a taxi in GTA, Even when I play sports games, I try to make the score look as mundane as possible..

Why play these games when you can do the real thing ?

Because I could be a pilot, OR a train driver, but the likelihood of doing both in one lifetime is very low, With simulators, you sort of can :)

• Like 2

there's also just the fascination of ordinary things. i love ordinary and boring things.

and there's little chance that i'll ever be able to be, say, a european truck driver, for... a whole lot of reasons. so there can always be something fantastic and unfamiliar in the mundane.

it's also a nice change of pace from "shootguns 2014", or whatever the newest "must have" game is.

• Like 3

there's also just the fascination of ordinary things. i love ordinary and boring things.

and there's little chance that i'll ever be able to be, say, a european truck driver, for... a whole lot of reasons. so there can always be something fantastic and unfamiliar in the mundane.

it's also a nice change of pace from "shootguns 2014", or whatever the newest "must have" game is.

lol that legitimately made me laugh. Its true alot of games could fit that title

• Like 1

I like playing railroad simulators... not so much the driving of the locomotive (I suck at that), but the laying out of the tracks, setting up the consists (types of cars, etc) and managing the line... Most

current rail sims though focus more on driving the locomotive.... I also have been known to play the Sims occasionally.... It's nice having a wife and kids that do what you tell them to... :whistle:

• Like 1

I have Flight Simulator and Farming Simulator it might be boring for most, but its about people's hobbies i guess

I still occasionally play the original The Sims from 2002. I've got so many families going, when I play it I don't know where to begin. I built an orphanage once with like 20 children. Most of the kids eventually died or were carried off by the truant officer. I have a like a half-way house or something now with about 10 kids or so and just one guy trying to take care of them all.

It's just somethng different. It's interesting when school is out and between meals, as the kids gather in groups and talk to each other, or go off by themselves and play with different stuff. I have to remove the door of the kitchen when the guy is making meals, so the kids don't wander in when they're hungry and raid the fridge.

Having several adults in one house is interesting, too. It's hard to keep track of everybody, though. Stuff like that.

Flight Simulator and Rail simulator, but I hardly play I mostly program extensions. And seems I am pretty good at it, a Central American airline is using one of my sceneries for their official training simulators (national flights).

• Like 1

Anybody try the Goat Simulator yet...?

I find PC wargames interesting because it's fun seeing if you can do better than the historical commanders..:)

PS- but sadly most games are far too big and complex and give me a headache, so I tend to stick to easy-to play 3D games like the Armed Assault series and Flight sims

For me the appeal of simulators is being able to do something I could/would never do in real life. I don't just mean fly a plane, or be a garbage truck driver, I'm talking about driving the garbage truck through a squad of SWAT members or landing that plane on top of a downtown skyscraper so I can launch RPG's at the tiny people below.

When I'm done causing mayhem and chaos in the inner city, I simply exit the game and life goes on consequence free. This century is a good time to be alive..