Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mayfly Emergence in Wisconsin

OverSword

They came en mass on Sunday and then, almost as suddenly as they emerged, they were dead, leaving a huge mess behind.

A mayfly hatch in Wisconsin over the weekend was so large that it was picked up by weather radar and even caused a three-car accident, not to mention resulted in stunning photos documenting their sheer quantity.

See the pictures here

• Like 2

Few things are as enchantingly magical as seeing the dead-rotting bodies of hundreds of thousands of insects in Wisconsin.

• Like 2

That's one heckuva lot of fish food!

May flies used to come out ... in May.

• Like 1

Someone in Wisconsin must of p***ed off God good to have Exodus come alive like that.

• Like 1

all you can gorge buffet for the bug eaters...

one day to live.... hatch, fly f()ck die

'Mayfly' is too nice a name for those things. I guess 'Smotherbugs' was already taken.

• Like 2

We've all had to deal with them before- just keep your mouth shut when outside and you won't have to worry about accidentally swallowing some of them, lol.

• Like 2

So glad this doesn't happen around here.

They have been very bad up here as well this year....

I had a really intense experience with Mayflies as a kid of eight.

We used to spend weekends on my dad's boat along the Mississippi and the St Croix. My sister and I slept in the back of the boat with a bug net around it. One morning I woke up and thought, 'ah it's still dark out, may as well go back to sleep'... woke up a bit later to my older sister screaming as she discovered the boat was covered.... every square inch in Mayflies.

They'd hatched over night and completely covered the shoreline for miles.

My dad got up, looked around, then told me to go get the anchor and we'd be rid of the bugs once we got going.

When they died the following day or two, they died on the bridges in such numbers, they brought out snowplows to clear them. Their bodies were piled several inches thick and causing cars to slide around.

• Like 3

its not even May? WTC?

May flies used to come out ... in May.

I'm sure someone will blame "climate change" as the cause.

Mayflies are called such not because of May the month, but rather May the flower. Mayflower, AKA Hawthorn. They tend to emerge around the same time that this plant comes into bloom. Some huge swarms have emerged in late June to mid July, so having a huge swarm like this isn't too uncommon.

And it's probably not climate change that brought this on, but rather the polar vortex the area has seen recently. Mayflies do well in the heat, but really thrive in somewhat cooler conditions.

We never encountered them in early Spring when I was a kid. It was always mid Summer.

Sounds like the beginning of a freaky B-Horror movie.