Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New dog study suggests animals get jealous

questionmark

SAN DIEGO, July 23 (UPI) --A new study of dog behavior showed that jealousy isn't a trait unique to humans. Dogs vying for the attention of their owners showcase behaviors that suggest jealousy is a strong motivating factor.

Scientists at the University of California at San Diego confirmed their hypothesis by studying a number of dogs and analyzing the way each reacted when their owners displayed affection toward inanimate objects.

When owners were visibly loving and affectionate toward a dog-like stuffed animal (that barked, whined and wagged a mechanized tail), the majority of real dogs showed aggression toward their perceived rivals. When owners were similarly demonstrative toward a more obviously inanimate object -- a bucket or pail, in this instance -- only a handful of dogs seemed to pay any mind.

This makes me wonder: do those people ever pay any attention to their dogs?

Well guys, the next time you want to waste money you come to my 2 dog household and I'll give you a demonstration for half the budget.

• Like 3

Animals need attention, especially dogs, and they feel left out if their owner lavishes attention on someone or another animal and will react accordingly, We don't need some university guys studying this and telling us something that has been known since before they were born.

• Like 2

This is why dogs attack new babies in a household, or visiting children.

• Like 1

This makes me wonder: do those people ever pay any attention to their dogs?

Well guys, the next time you want to waste money you come to my 2 dog household and I'll give you a demonstration for half the budget.

Where do I apply for a research job like this please?

No? Really? Dogs actually have *gasp* feelings! Quick...we need some more studies! (<insert extreme sarcasm)

• Like 6

Where do I apply for a research job like this please?

I have come to the conclusion that most universities have a department for deducing the obvious

• Like 4

Dogs need to learn to control their emotions.

Dogs need to learn to control their emotions.

Dogs have the cognitive ability of young children...controlling their emotions is at a similar level. It's up to the humans to train the dogs to respond to their emotions in an acceptable manner. In order to most effective do this the human has to understand dogs. This is why some people are called 'dog whisperers'.

• Like 2

Dogs have the cognitive ability of young children...controlling their emotions is at a similar level. It's up to the humans to train the dogs to respond to their emotions in an acceptable manner. In order to most effective do this the human has to understand dogs. This is why some people are called 'dog whisperers'.

Sure, dogs born in the wild dont have 'dog whisperers'. I bet they still get jealous.

Sure, dogs born in the wild dont have 'dog whisperers'. I bet they still get jealous.

But dogs have packs...and dog packs have a social order. Essentially wild dogs become socialized into proper pack behaviour by the other pack members. Domestic dogs have to be socialized into what's proper behaviour living with humans. The dog whisperers are just really good at this because they understand dogs so well.

• Like 2

Fully agree but I do hate the term 'train' when referring to animals, people never say they are training their children (though Sagan knows some need it). To me you bring up an animal as part of the family and educate it as to what is acceptable behavior in social situations - with dogs you have to be and remain the alpha.

But dogs have packs...and dog packs have a social order. Essentially wild dogs become socialized into proper pack behaviour by the other pack members. Domestic dogs have to be socialized into what's proper behaviour living with humans. The dog whisperers are just really good at this because they understand dogs so well.

Sure, but what does a dog whisperer have to say to a jealous dog? From wild to domestic, trying to cure a dog of jealousy is about as un natural as trying to cure them from wagging their tail. Some things you just gotta accept...like jealousy.

You don't "cure" a dog from being jealous, you train/teach the dog how to deal with it in a socially acceptable manner.

• Like 2

You don't "cure" a dog from being jealous, you train/teach the dog how to deal with it in a socially acceptable manner.

I dont know what you could whisper in your dogs ear to get the desired result, some people have a silver tongue i spose.

*Sigh* They call it "whispering" because you don't stand and shout commands at the dog then expect it to respond like a furry little human. Dog whisperers are actually people who understand canine behaviour and apply their knowledge in a calm and rational manner. It's not that we have a "silver tongue", it's that we have the knowledge of how dogs think and we use it to accordingly.

• Like 3

Of course. Dogs can be so manipulating. If they arent allowed to vent their jealousy through aggression or vengence they can resort to being depressed hahaha, but im wise to those tricks. They get over it. Some dogs make it their business to study their keepers, and become human whisperers in a cute and unexpected way.

• Like 1

I had a "Taco Bell talking chihuahua" that my dog would stare daggers at!!! We had all left to go Christmas shopping, and when we came back, my dog had that

very guilty look about her!! I found that toy dog in pieces everywhere!!! She obliterated it!!!! Animals have feelings too!!!!

I had a "Taco Bell talking chihuahua" that my dog would stare daggers at!!! We had all left to go Christmas shopping, and when we came back, my dog had that

very guilty look about her!! I found that toy dog in pieces everywhere!!! She obliterated it!!!! Animals have feelings too!!!!

When I was a kid the whole family went to dinner and we left the dog at home. When we came back he had chewed up all LPs and did not even have a guilty look. He never did anything like that before nor after again.

*Sigh* They call it "whispering" because you don't stand and shout commands at the dog then expect it to respond like a furry little human. Dog whisperers are actually people who understand canine behaviour and apply their knowledge in a calm and rational manner. It's not that we have a "silver tongue", it's that we have the knowledge of how dogs think and we use it to accordingly.

I've trained all of mine with hand signals. I learned how, on my own, when I had a deaf cat. We didn't have computers then to look up any help. People are amazed and ask me to help them train their dogs. For the most part I decline, because it's not the animal that is difficult to train but their people.