Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How Feminism is Misunderstood

Leonardo

Feminism is all fine and a positive concept (created to bring equality between the genders) but it's the misinterpreted version of feminism, as you pointed out, which seems to be on the rise. It is, however, not just misunderstood, but also used as a political agenda to cover up female chauvinism, men-bashing movements -- you know, asking for 'special privileges', spouting "all men are pigs", etc is NOT feminism. There are better social and psychological terms for them. It's as bad as the patriarchal societies we had back in the day, maybe even worse because at least chauvinist men knew they mistreated women and made no attempt to cover that up. Asking for equal treatment and then demanding 'special privileges', wanting to have the same status as men and then calling men inferior to them, calling for women to have the right to chose her own life and then degrading women who chose to stay at home as anti-feminists, etc does not represent equality or feminism.

That said, feminism in itself is a positive concept and people should not look upon it as a men-hating-ideology because that's not how it is ideally supposed to be.

I always thought the feminist movement was about choices. That would make me a feminist...and a masculinist I suppose.

Honestly I'd rather just get rid of the label feminist entirely and just have people say they believe in equality and freedom.

It's been horribly confused with agendas to push women into acting like men if they want to succeed or hold a decent career. It's done nothing but encourage women to only focus and develop their masculine identity and energy rather than become self empowered from their feminine side, and that is where the problem is. Men don't like it ? but the women who are doing it to the extreme are simply acting no better than most sexist men do. Men are conflicted over it because they sense the masculine energy challenging them from a female body, but are still the direct reason why the feminine side in everybody, not just women is suppressed.

We actually do live in patriarchal society, because if we didn't then we wouldn't be so gender focused and the feminine in everyone would be liberated, self empowered and balanced. All that is changed is men have permitted women to compete with them as men, in what is still a very masculine dominated society.