Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Arizona execution takes two hours

seeder

OK this seems like a controversial bit of news. man on death row is given the lethal injections, and carries on gasping...for two hours till he is dead.

Of course the family of the victims don't care, but many are appalled by it... personally, I dont know why they faff about like this, a bullet would do the job far quicker,

US death row inmate Joseph Wood has died after an execution in Arizona took nearly two hours to kill him. Wood, a double murderer, was executed by lethal injection.

His lawyers filed an appeal for an emergency stay of execution, after he had been "gasping and snorting for more than an hour" in the death chamber.

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer says she has ordered a full review of the execution, although she said that Wood "died in a lawful manner".

Wood's lawyers argued the extended execution process violated his right to be executed in the absence of cruel and unusual punishment.

But Ms Brewer said: "By eyewitness and medical accounts he did not suffer. This is in stark comparison to the gruesome, vicious suffering that he inflicted on his two victims, and the lifetime of suffering he has caused their family

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-28457460

personally, I dont know why they faff about like this, a bullet would do the job far quicker

or a guillotine, works every time.

• Like 2

I hope he suffered a bit on some level but most likely he was unconscious and felt nothing. Beat two peopel to death. That said, they need to figure out why their procedure doesn't work as designed and fix it.

OK this seems like a controversial bit of news. man on death row is given the lethal injections, and carries on gasping...for two hours till he is dead.

Of course the family of the victims don't care, but many are appalled by it... personally, I dont know why they faff about like this, a bullet would do the job far quicker,

US death row inmate Joseph Wood has died after an execution in Arizona took nearly two hours to kill him. Wood, a double murderer, was executed by lethal injection.

His lawyers filed an appeal for an emergency stay of execution, after he had been "gasping and snorting for more than an hour" in the death chamber.

Arizona Governor Jan Brewer says she has ordered a full review of the execution, although she said that Wood "died in a lawful manner".

Wood's lawyers argued the extended execution process violated his right to be executed in the absence of cruel and unusual punishment.

But Ms Brewer said: "By eyewitness and medical accounts he did not suffer. This is in stark comparison to the gruesome, vicious suffering that he inflicted on his two victims, and the lifetime of suffering he has caused their family

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-28457460

I support the death penalty. I do NOT support torturing even a murderer to death. The irony is that lethal injection was meant to be more civilized and at first there were no instances like this one. THEN the foreign manufacturers of the lethal components in the cocktail decided they wouldn't provide them anymore. So substitutions are being tried with horrendous results. How's that for unintended consequences?
  • Like 4

I support the death penalty. I do NOT support torturing even a murderer to death. The irony is that lethal injection was meant to be more civilized and at first there were no instances like this one. THEN the foreign manufacturers of the lethal components in the cocktail decided they wouldn't provide them anymore. So substitutions are being tried with horrendous results. How's that for unintended consequences?

time to polish up old sparky.

• Like 2

The problem seems to be the US cannot get the drugs anymore, so they are 'trying out' other recipes..

Heres another botched execution from few months ago

The botched execution of Clayton Lockett was worse than you thought

quotes:

After Lockett said he had no last words, the execution began. They administered the drug midazolam, which is meant to induce unconsciousness. Ten minutes later, they announced that he was unconscious. “This is the first execution I’ve covered that they’ve made a point of pronouncing someone unconscious before they pronounce him dead,” Branstetter said.

Three minutes later, “the violent reaction” began, she said. First, she saw his foot kick. Then his body bucked, he clenched his jaw and he began rolling his head from side to side, trying to lift his head up, grimacing and clenching his teeth. “He mumbled some things we didn’t understand,” Branstetter said. “The only thing I could make out was when he said ‘man.’”

It looked like he was trying to get up, she said.

“He looked like he was in pain to me,” Branstetter said. “How much pain, nobody knows but him.”

A prison official looked under the sheet and announced that they were going to close the blinds temporarily. The beige blinds went back down and never went back up. “Reporters exchange shocked glances,” Branstetter wrote in her account. “Nothing like this has happened at an execution any of us has witnessed since 1990, when the state resumed executions using lethal injection.”

and

“We’ve had a vein failure in which the chemicals did not make it into the offender,” he said.

In his timeline sent to the governor, Patton wrote that an examination of the IV found that “the blood vein had collapsed, and the drugs had either absorbed into tissue, leaked out or both.” Patton was told that there were no other veins available and that there hadn’t been enough drugs administered to kill Lockett, so the execution was called off at 6:56 p.m., he wrote.

http://www.washingto...homa-execution/

Edited by seeder

The problem seems to be the US cannot get the drugs anymore, so they are 'trying out' other recipes..

Then how about reverting to the classical scaffolding and rope instead of this sorry spectacle?

• Like 4

I hope he suffered a bit on some level but most likely he was unconscious and felt nothing. Beat two peopel to death. That said, they need to figure out why their procedure doesn't work as designed and fix it.

He had served 25 years already, in some countries he'd have been released before then.

Not that Im defending him

I still dont understand why we cant just use bullets for death sentences. Cause apparently its not civilized unless you spend lots of time and money

• Like 4

French Revolution style within site of the other inmates sounds good enough to me.

• Like 1

I used to be for the death penalty because I thought it was just, but then I realized how insane it is as free citizens to grant our government the ability to legally kill.

• Like 6

Technically speaking a bullet, guillotine, or hanging would've probably all been much, much faster. I thought they did away with all of those due to them being "cruel and unusual?" How is that not cruel and unusual? What he did was bad, yes, but does it really make sense to continue to torture people before they die when these drugs are supposed to do away with that anyways?

• Like 2

Technically speaking a bullet, guillotine, or hanging would've probably all been much, much faster. I thought they did away with all of those due to them being "cruel and unusual?" How is that not cruel and unusual? What he did was bad, yes, but does it really make sense to continue to torture people before they die when these drugs are supposed to do away with that anyways?

Because we have the usual problem: The industry in the USA thought it was not earning enough with anesthetics (well given the earnings with Prozac and other "very necessary" psycho drugs they are probably right) and the only effective stuff is made abroad. The guys abroad decided that the death penalty was barbaric and that they would not supply the US and put anybody who does on a black list. With the production the knowledge on how to make these drugs was also lost. And now we have some Frankensteins experimenting on humans.

• Like 1

An injection of pure heroin has killed many people... (Ms Geldof being the latest and RIP young one)

And what about them old war movies, where captured spies bit down on a capsule of cyanide and dropped dead on the spot? (OK it was the movies)

How can they not know a recipe to kill you?

amended

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

Cyanide pills

During World War 2, British and American secret services developed the "L-pill" (lethal pill) which was given to agents going behind enemy lines. It was an oval capsule, approximately the size of a pea, consisting of a thin-walled glass ampoule covered in brown rubber (to protect against accidental breakage) and filled with a concentrated solution of potassium cyanide. It could be carried in the mouth, shaped as a false tooth; if it was accidentally swallowed it would pass harmlessly through the body. To use, the agent would bite down on the pill, crushing the ampoule to release the fast-acting poison. Brain death occurs within minutes and the heartbeat stops shortly after.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_pill

Cyanide pills

During World War 2, British and American secret services developed the "L-pill" (lethal pill) which was given to agents going behind enemy lines. It was an oval capsule, approximately the size of a pea, consisting of a thin-walled glass ampoule covered in brown rubber (to protect against accidental breakage) and filled with a concentrated solution of potassium cyanide. It could be carried in the mouth, shaped as a false tooth; if it was accidentally swallowed it would pass harmlessly through the body. To use, the agent would bite down on the pill, crushing the ampoule to release the fast-acting poison. Brain death occurs within minutes and the heartbeat stops shortly after.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Suicide_pill

ehm right... they had that. It was only called gas chamber. They did not even have to force anybody to swallow.

I'm not a total hard heart. I think the death sentence should only be carried out in the most heinous of crimes and only when there is absolutely no chance of innocence.

That being said, there has been, over the centuries, some 100% sure fire methods.

Hanging

The axe man

Drawn and quartered

the guillotine

firing squad

gas chamber.

I would say the electric chair but there are some supposed cases where they had to hit the person several times to kill them.

I liked what the one judge said (but was being sarcastic)...something to the effect we need to stop hiding behind "humane" execution and just get on with it.

If you are going to kill the person...just do it...stop being a sissy about the "how"...

Edited by Jeremiah65
  • Like 3

Bullet to the back of the head.

Simple.

Absolutely! This is my first choice. There can't be anything more humane. Messy for the aftermath but so?

Then how about reverting to the classical scaffolding and rope instead of this sorry spectacle?

Works for me.

The axe man

actually this one not simple at all.,

it took a lot of skills to do it in one swing, more often than not the executioner would miss the neck, and not kill, he would have to do it again, and it would not be easy since the person would move\scream in pain, sometimes they would chop up his\her entire back and get pieces of head off before they died, in agony. if they wanted someone to suffer, they would get executioner drunk, and he would miss most of the time, making it very very painful.

• Like 2

I don't understand why the chemical cocktails for execution are so difficult.. We have chemicals to quickly and humanely put down our animals, chemicals to quickly and humanely use in assisted suicide, we can even accidentally kill people with just anesthesia. Why not use some of that stuff in executions?

And I have to say, even though using a bullet or my fave, the guillotine seems more fool proof- someone has to clean that bloody mess up after. In today's age of concern over blood-borne pathogens, I can understand the hesitancy in using such means.

I don't understand why the chemical cocktails for execution are so difficult.. We have chemicals to quickly and humanely put down our animals, chemicals to quickly and humanely use in assisted suicide, we can even accidentally kill people with just anesthesia. Why not use some of that stuff in executions?

And I have to say, even though using a bullet or my fave, the guillotine seems more fool proof- someone has to clean that bloody mess up after. In today's age of concern over blood-borne pathogens, I can understand the hesitancy in using such means.

Not as easy as it sounds, the most common anesthetic for animals is a combination of Ketamin and Rompun, they are not used in humans because they cause nightmares.

If a veterinarian can get theopentothal (I don't know if I spelled that correctly) to put a 200lb dog down it should be possible to put a man down the same way. My personal opinion is that a murderer should be executed in the same manner as their victim. I read this guy shot his victim in the chest, well the answer is easy. They sentence themselves, what goes around comes around. As far as hangings, I'm all for it. I think they should be done within a week and done in public. Bring the family, let the kiddies know what happens when your a really bad person. Freedom and liberty without discipline and order is chaos and insanity.

If a veterinarian can get theopentothal (I don't know if I spelled that correctly) to put a 200lb dog down it should be possible to put a man down the same way. My personal opinion is that a murderer should be executed in the same manner as their victim. I read this guy shot his victim in the chest, well the answer is easy. They sentence themselves, what goes around comes around. As far as hangings, I'm all for it. I think they should be done within a week and done in public. Bring the family, let the kiddies know what happens when your a really bad person. Freedom and liberty without discipline and order is chaos and insanity.

And when doing that many vets will ask you whether you want to put your dog to sleep first class or second class. First class is with anesthesia. And there is where the problem lays: anesthesia producer will not deliver any for executions.