Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

90% of human DNA 'does nothing'

questionmark

More than 90% of human DNA is doing nothing very useful, and large stretches may be no more than biological baggage that has built up over years of evolution, Oxford researchers claim.

The scientists arrived at the figure after comparing the human genome with the genetic makeup of other mammals, ranging from dogs and mice to rhinos and horses.

The researchers looked for sections of DNA that humans shared with the other animals, which split from our lineage at different points in history. When DNA is shared and conserved across species, it suggests that it does something valuable.

Read more

• Like 2

For years my chief rebuttal has been "Oh yeah, well you only use 10% of your DNA".

Thank you science for vindicating me again.

• Like 2

I wonder what would happen if you stripped the useless dna out of a person. What exactly would be left?

• Like 3

I wonder what would happen if you stripped the useless dna out of a person. What exactly would be left?

Humor mode activate!

Why only the 10% that they actually need to code proteins, you big old silly goose.

I'm skeptical. Our body tends to use most of everything even if we don't understand what yet

• Like 4

I'm skeptical. Our body tends to use most of everything even if we don't understand what yet

If those who claim that evolution is not about beings but about genetically preserving traits once acquired it does have a use... just not an immediate one.

• Like 2

not suprising really when you consider that 90% of humans do nothing....

• Like 9

not suprising really when you consider that 90% of humans do nothing....

Leaving the other 10% of us to do everything! Give me convenience or give me death!

• Like 1

And down at the bottom of the article, if anyone read that far, it says:

But other scientists take a broader view of what it means for DNA to be functional. Most of the 92% that Lunter's group says is not functional DNA is still active in some way in the body.

"Many [DNA] elements that play important roles in human disease are not evolutionarily conserved. Some of these have human-specific functions, some are involved in late-onset diseases like Alzheimer's, and others are simply missed by current comparative genomics methods," said Manolis Kellis, a computational biologist at MIT who was not involved in the study. "We cannot simply ignore the remaining 90% of the genome that is not evolutionarily conserved."

"Evolution can tell you whether something is important or not important, but it doesn't tell you what that something actually does," he added.

• Like 4

I have a theory that DNA is much more than we understand, and that each one of us is, ultimately, nothing but a propagation mechanism for DNA.

• Like 1

Less than 10%?

Boy, do I feel special now.

Then here's a screwed up question. If you dumped a body on a potential life supporting planet would the rot and decay of that corpse create life on that planet? I mean your corpse and it's genetic makeup are breaking down on this world and hopefully in a body of water. You'll have to forgive me I just get random ideas sometimes.

I personally beleive its all there for a reason...but give it some time...the mystics will be in soon to tell you exactly what the extra is there for.

• Like 1

LOL, I just love it when peeps claim this is just something from evolution with no proof. I personally solved this years ago. The human genome project findings were published back in the early to mid 80's. The findings are public knowledge. Understanding those findings hasn't been necessarily easy for all aspects of it. However, I had a major break through starting in 2009, and my work is ongoing. Currently some of my work and findings can be viewed **SNIP**

**Do not ignore: 1a. Advertising: Do not use the forum to advertise a product, site or service.**

In a nutshell, I have over nine doctors, and about twenty other scientists, authors, researchers, and many others that all support my findings. God was NOT our real creator, he was an alien abductor, and yes I even prove with found documentation where this is found. This is my work by the way. He used DNA manipulation to punish us, dumb us down, and even remove natural abilities from us. We used to have telepathy, but lost it in the tower of babel, we all used to have the ability to remote view, and be privy to telepathic conversations from afar, as stated in Isaiah 6:10> These findings are all redundantly backed up with not only the bible, but people today that still have some of these and other lost abilities. God really did a number on us.

The 98% junk DNA that this article is about, is based on the dormant DNA, that is merely switched off. You see, back in the biblical times, you had an option to be healed. Here is a copy of Isaiah...

Isaiah's Commission from the Lord

8 And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” Then I said, “Here I am! Send me.” 9 And he said, “Go, and say to this people:

“‘Keep on hearing,[c] but do not understand;

keep on seeing,[d] but do not perceive.’

10 Make the heart of this people dull,[e]

and their ears heavy,

and blind their eyes;

lest they see with their eyes,

and hear with their ears,

and understand with their hearts,

and turn and be healed.”[sic]

The last sentence makes it clear that God is admittedly making us sick, as he indicates, turn and be healed.

Keep on hearing but do not understand, is paired because the two abilities could be identified as the close to the same. Understanding turns out to be telepathy. It's not like a spoken language because it's before that learned ability, and it's universal amongst all humanoids.

In this case whats not obvious is that it pertains to the usage of perceive, or remote viewing, that also makes us privy to any telepathic conversations within that vision.

Make the heart of this people dull can only be understood as being sad from missing those abilities.

Ears heavy, as we hear with our ears, and blind our eyes, lest we see with our eyes, is creating more focus on those remaining abilities.

My understanding of this is confirmed by the fact that there is mention of over 100 visions documented in the bible, again confirmed by the fact that a rare few here on earth still have it, and in fact have been employed by our government as spies.

These abilities I'm certain would take up billions of DNA. In order for god to allow us the option of being able to get our abilities back, there is no way he could physically remove them from our species. They are intertwined with our creation. The rare people that do still have these abilities are never found to have any special physical feature out of the norm. It's because once again, it's in the DNA. That dormant DNA is our abilities. Read my website in it's entirety and see for yourself. There are too many people, and to many things not related that all point to our DNA being the problem.

Edited by aquatus1

LOL, I just love it when peeps claim this is just something from evolution with no proof. I personally solved this years ago. The human genome project findings were published back in the early to mid 80's. The findings are public knowledge. Understanding those findings hasn't been necessarily easy for all aspects of it. However, I had a major break through starting in 2009, and my work is ongoing. Currently some of my work and findings can be viewed **** ignore *****.wix. ignore com/ ignore ****

In a nutshell, I have over nine doctors, and about twenty other scientists, authors, researchers, and many others that all support my findings. God was NOT our real creator, he was an alien abductor, and yes I even prove with found documentation where this is found. This is my work by the way. He used DNA manipulation to punish us, dumb us down, and even remove natural abilities from us. We used to have telepathy, but lost it in the tower of babel, we all used to have the ability to remote view, and be privy to telepathic conversations from afar, as stated in Isaiah 6:10> These findings are all redundantly backed up with not only the bible, but people today that still have some of these and other lost abilities. God really did a number on us.

The 98% junk DNA that this article is about, is based on the dormant DNA, that is merely switched off. You see, back in the biblical times, you had an option to be healed. Here is a copy of Isaiah...

8 And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here I am! Send me." 9 And he said, "Go, and say to this people:

"'Keep on hearing,[c] but do not understand;

keep on seeing,[d] but do not perceive.'

and their ears heavy,

and blind their eyes;

and turn and be healed."[sic]

The last sentence makes it clear that God is admittedly making us sick, as he indicates, turn and be healed.

Keep on hearing but do not understand, is paired because the two abilities could be identified as the close to the same. Understanding turns out to be telepathy. It's not like a spoken language because it's before that learned ability, and it's universal amongst all humanoids.

In this case whats not obvious is that it pertains to the usage of perceive, or remote viewing, that also makes us privy to any telepathic conversations within that vision.

Make the heart of this people dull can only be understood as being sad from missing those abilities.

Ears heavy, as we hear with our ears, and blind our eyes, lest we see with our eyes, is creating more focus on those remaining abilities.

My understanding of this is confirmed by the fact that there is mention of over 100 visions documented in the bible, again confirmed by the fact that a rare few here on earth still have it, and in fact have been employed by our government as spies.

These abilities I'm certain would take up billions of DNA. In order for god to allow us the option of being able to get our abilities back, there is no way he could physically remove them from our species. They are intertwined with our creation. The rare people that do still have these abilities are never found to have any special physical feature out of the norm. It's because once again, it's in the DNA. That dormant DNA is our abilities. Read my website in it's entirety and see for yourself. There are too many people, and to many things not related that all point to our DNA being the problem.

And off we go

Edited by aquatus1
  • Like 5

LOL, I just love it when peeps claim this is just something from evolution with no proof. I personally solved this years ago. The human genome project findings were published back in the early to mid 80's. The findings are public knowledge. Understanding those findings hasn't been necessarily easy for all aspects of it. However, I had a major break through starting in 2009, and my work is ongoing. Currently some of my work and findings can be viewed **** ignore *****.wix. ignore com/ ignore ****

8 And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?” Then I said, “Here I am! Send me.” 9 And he said, “Go, and say to this people:

“‘Keep on hearing,[c] but do not understand;

keep on seeing,[d] but do not perceive.’

and their ears heavy,

and blind their eyes;

and turn and be healed.”[sic]

Speaking of claims with no proof....

Edited by aquatus1
  • Like 4

And down at the bottom of the article, if anyone read that far, it says:

But other scientists take a broader view of what it means for DNA to be functional. Most of the 92% that Lunter's group says is not functional DNA is still active in some way in the body.

"Many [DNA] elements that play important roles in human disease are not evolutionarily conserved. Some of these have human-specific functions, some are involved in late-onset diseases like Alzheimer's, and others are simply missed by current comparative genomics methods," said Manolis Kellis, a computational biologist at MIT who was not involved in the study. "We cannot simply ignore the remaining 90% of the genome that is not evolutionarily conserved."

"Evolution can tell you whether something is important or not important, but it doesn't tell you what that something actually does," he added.

I was just going to point this out, but you beat me to it this time, Seeder!!!

I really wish people would actually read the article before commenting on it sometimes.

• Like 3

I really wish people would actually read the article before commenting on it sometimes.

Yeh not reading links is called 'zoseritis', its a virus that resides on the forums here... :lol:

• Like 4

Yeh not reading links is called 'zoseritis', its a virus that resides on the forums here... :lol:

Nice! :w00t:

Is one of the symptoms ignoring established facts to better fit something into your zany hypothesis?

• Like 4

First there was talk about our brains, about how we use only small percentage. Today it is DNA.

• Like 1

Is one of the symptoms ignoring established facts to better fit something into your zany hypothesis?

That too... in fact, we still cant be certain just how bad zoseritis actually is, or how many have been infected.. guess only time will tell :lol:

• Like 3

i think it's all there for a very good reason and it's more likely that we just don't know what it's for so we think it's doing nothing

how arrogant we are

• Like 1

That too... in fact, we still cant be certain just how bad zoseritis actually is, or how many have been infected.. guess only time will tell :lol:

Maybe we should apply for some fleece to make a study about Zoseritis?

• Like 3

I've come down with a light case every now and then. What we need is a vaccine, but without alien involvement, I'm afraid humans are just too stupid to create such a thing... :no:

Maybe we should apply for some fleece to make a study about Zoseritis?

I'm gonna write up a grant proposal. Maybe all the extra DNA is a cause of zoseritis?

• Like 3

First there was talk about our brains, about how we use only small percentage. Today it is DNA.

So that means we will start having sci-fi movies about people who learn how to utilize 100% of their DNA and do impossible stuff. lol

Just like all those brain movies...

• Like 3