Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Christian Terrorist?

Grandpa Greenman

Anti-abortion fanatics invade a church service. Where's the

outrage?

On Sunday morning, the Rev. Deanna Vandiver was leading a service at the First Unitarian Universalist Church of New

Orleans, a graceful, Gothic-style brick building in the city's Freret neighborhood. The sanctuary, with 70 or 80 people,

was nearly full, and included a group of teenagers who had just finished a week-long training in social justice.

The room was silent, as the congregation prayed for a young mother of two who had just lost her battle with cancer, for a social

justice lawyer who had recently died, and for peace in Gaza.

That’s when the shouting started.

At first, Vandiver told me Wednesday, she had no idea what was going on, as “we were in the deeply sacred collective space” of

silent, communal prayer. She thought the noise might be coming from, oh, maybe a visiting Quaker, someone who didn’t

understand the congregation’s tradition of silence during meditation.

Then she heard what they were shouting: “Abomination!” “You are going to hell!”

http://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/la-me-ra-antiabortion-fanatics-invade-a-church-service-20140723-column.html#page=1

I truly love Unitarians, after all that they invite them in for coffee. :innocent:

After the church service ended, a few abortion protesters hung around and harassed people over coffee, Vandiver said. "One of them told a girl that the reason one of her parents was sick was because he was a sinner and he was going to die and go to hell."

I guess if you define a terrorist as someone who tries to shout down and intimidate someone else then..yes.. they were terrorists. Seems to me that it cheapens the word. What they did was pointless and illegal but no one was physically harmed. This particular group would bear watching though. They seem like they might work themselves up to doing something dangerously stupid in time.

• Like 4

Terrorism: the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Looks like terrorism by that definition. A protest is when you stand around caring signs. I think they went way beyond protest.

But it wasn't just the sanctuary that was being violated. While the ruckus was unfolding inside, Vandiver told me, other Operation Save America protesters outside the church pressed grotesque photographs of aborted fetuses against the windows of the church nursery.They were yelling about how we were killing babies, she said, It was no kinda nice, as we say here.
Edited by GreenmansGod

Looks like terrorism by that definition. A protest is when you stand around caring signs. I think they went way beyond protest.

As And Then said calling them terrorist cheapens the word. It puts them in the same league as the people blowing other people up and killing innocent people etc.

None of this is to detract from the fact that what these people did is extremely stupid. They are indeed morons. But its misleading to call them terrorist

• Like 3

No one has the right to force someone to do something. It is up to them to live with their choices mentally, physically, and emotion. Whatever happened to love thy neighbor?

• Like 2

Wise words from the Minister's blog.

Whatever your faith tradition, I invite you to stand with Unitarian Universalists and other liberal religions besieged by hate-filled rhetoric that can trip so easily from violent words to violent deeds. Stand with us against those who would destroy the concept of religious freedom, those who invade and desecrate sacred worship space, who terrorize children and adults with their malice.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/uucollective/2014/07/circle-round-for-freedom/

I remember when clinics were bombed and doctors where shot. The American people have short memories.

• Like 4

Wise words from the Minister's blog.

I remember when clinics were bombed and doctors where shot. The American people have short memories.

I do also. That's why I said they bear watching. The business of showing graphic images of the realities of abortion shouldn't offend those who support a woman's right to engage in it. It isn't pretty and it certainly can't be made worse by simply showing what it looks like. My problem with it is that it seems they were showing those images to children who would have no way to understand what they were seeing. THAT is wrong.

"if everything that ever lived is dead...

and everything that is alive is going to die...

where does the sacred part come in?"

george carlin

• Like 3

"if everything that ever lived is dead...

and everything that is alive is going to die...

where does the sacred part come in?"

george carlin

? so :unsure2:

Do you only count something as sacred if it does not die?

• Like 1

it's all either as sacred as all else, or none of it is...

nature does not play favorites

tao treats all as straw dogs

the molecules in your body, in a few decades, or perhaps days, will become clay/dirt...

it's process... there's only the potential for sacred, if we apply it from the perspective of mind within duality

and that, is illusion

This is another one of those reasons because of this kind of crap that I quit being a Christian long ago. Individuals like that and the WBC think they're above their own biblical rules and can't seem to stay the hell out of other people's business. Shame, harass and intimidate people until they get what they want, that's what they do.

• Like 4

Everything that makes up the universe make YOU up as well. From it you came and to it you return.

The extremist ruin it for everyone. The will of god and the will of man seem to coincide way to often for my liking.

• Like 3

If the state demanded that men get vasectomies after 2 children that would do more to end abortion than making them illegal I bet. Problem solved. Solved mine.

Having no kids and adopting would take care of a lot more problems as well.

Sounds like a damn good idea, but most people only want the very young ones so they can pass on their influence, ideas, family name and so on. The older ones get left behind, until they turn 18; then of course they're on their own as adults.

Abortion is always sicking you can`nt blame people for being upset ,especially when you hear of all the abortions horrors of how there babies are killed and some are still alive while nurses comfort them to die, some found in boxes or the garbage who are perfectly healthy almost new born babies. Who really protects their lives and rights.

Abortion is always sicking you can`nt blame people for being upset ,especially when you hear of all the abortions horrors of how there babies are killed and some are still alive while nurses comfort them to die, some found in boxes or the garbage who are perfectly healthy almost new born babies. Who really protects their lives and rights.

If my Pagan brethren went and behaved like these people did over pollution and global warming at your church what do you think would happen to us? Our butts would be sitting in jail. I have heard about the so called abortion horrors of late term abortion, if you make women wait then that is what happens. If they can do it in a timely fashion then that usually not the case. Read what is going on in Texas, is this better? If you take away a women rights to control her reproduction, then you are making them little better than a broodmare.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=269761

• Like 3

If the state demanded that men get vasectomies after 2 children that would do more to end abortion than making them illegal I bet. Problem solved. Solved mine.

I don't see the connection.

Abortion is a mother's choice. She could chose to abort the two children allowed to/ fathered by, a man, and if aborted children did not count, then a man could still get a dozen women pregnant and all of them have abortions.

Religion can't take our rights, we have a choice on what we want to do

It sounds impolite and obnoxious to me, but certainly not Terrorism. They're certainly not in the same class as Eric Rudolph or Anders Breivik.

• Like 1

Unfortunately I think it is only going to get more common and the actions will get worse. As the numbers of those who follow some sort of religion continue to dwindle, it will become more and more concentrated in the fundatmentalist sects. And as those groups continue to scratch and claw for some kind of relevance for their Bronze Age philosophies, they will become more and more extreme.

I hope it doesn't result in the kind of acts we see in other parts of the world, but that's my fear.

Edited by Rafterman