Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Doctor ignores gun free zone, saving lives

spartan max2

I normally dont post little one event stories like this because I look at it as just pushing your view.

But I had to post this one because it is a perfect example of why I find gun-free zones moronic if not harmfull

"

Thanks to his concealed firearm, a Pennsylvania doctor is being called a hero after shooting a gunman who shot three people at Mercy Hospital in Darby, Pennsylvania.

Despite the hospitals strict “gun free zone” policy, Dr. Lee Silverman kept a gun in his desk. When shots rang out in Silverman’s office, just after 2:00PM Tuesday, he crouched behind his desk to avoid being hit by patient Richard Plotts.

Silverman, who knew the patient, then shot at Plotts. Plotts returned fire, grazing Silverman’s head but not seriously wounding him. Silverman and a caseworker would eventually wrestle Plotts to the ground and secure his weapon.

In a press conference following the incident, the local police chief spoke of Silverman’s bravery.

“Without a doubt, I believe the doctor saved lives,” Police Chief Donald Molineux said.

“Without that firearm, this guy (the patient) could have went out in the hallway and just walked down the offices until he ran out of ammunition.”

- See more at: http://rare.us/story/this-doctor-disobeyed-a-gun-free-zone-and-saved-lives-because-of-it/#sthash.I1K5ZQHX.dpuf "

• Like 5

Doctors save lives. This doctor is just better at it than most

• Like 6

Perfect. I finally get to post this image. It's a prescription that this Doctor obviously recommends.

growacet.jpg

Edited by redhen
  • Like 6

I wonder if he stated his oath, Movie Action hero style.

"First, do no harm...not today, M**** ******"

• Like 4

This doctor is obviously out of control, taking a gun into a gun free zone! He should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law and have his license to practice medicine taken away!

Just doing my imitation of a liberal :lol:

• Like 6

Until the day that America is truly gun free there should be no gun free zones. I call that the day that never comes.

I just don't understand this gun free policy. I wish there were more to say, but it has all been said before.

Silverman and a caseworker would eventually wrestle Plotts to the ground and secure his weapon.

But he didn't shoot the gunman, they wrestled him to the ground.

So the gun really didn't do anything, did it?

• Like 2

But he didn't shoot the gunman, they wrestled him to the ground.

So the gun really didn't do anything, did it?

I'd quote if not on my phone. But the cop even says that it saved lives because it stopped the guy in his tracks. Instead of free roaming around he got stuck in that one spot due to the fact if he got too close he'd get shot

The fact that he dosent get shot.to.me just shows that the threat of a gun will normally suffice

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

But the cop even says that it saved lives because it stopped the guy in his tracks. Instead of free roaming around he got stuck in that one spot due to the fact if he got too close he'd get shot

The fact that he dosent get shot.to.me just shows that the threat of a gun will normally suffice

sounds like pro-gun bullsiht to me.

Sounds like this doctor took a brave action, and a certain group are looking to try to counter some of the negative publicity from mass shootings we've had by giving the gun credit for doing basically nothing, instead of crediting the men who wrestled this guy to the ground

I invite you to read the story again. It seems more like your grasping for straws the gun was clearly used and the sign didn't keep the assailants gun out

Edited by spartan max2

Thanks to his concealed firearm brave actions, a Pennsylvania doctor is being called a hero after shooting overpowering a gunman who shot three people at Mercy Hospital in Darby, Pennsylvania.

Yes it's another incidence of anecdotal evidence showing how effective gun free environments are at protecting people. Nice spin though, thanking the gun. Guns were just inanimate chucks of metal that were used both offensively to take lives and defensively to save lives in this story.

Since we're not going to get rid of the offensive potential that guns offer to some people who would use them to murder others, the worst idea would be to get rid of the defensive potential that guns offer to other people who would stop them.

My predictions are coming true... would you look at that.

sounds like pro-gun bullsiht to me.

Sounds like this doctor took a brave action, and a certain group are looking to try to counter some of the negative publicity from mass shootings we've had by giving the gun credit for doing basically nothing, instead of crediting the men who wrestled this guy to the ground

Sounds like you are hearing what you want, instead of the truth, to me. There is no way he'd be in a possition to wrestled this guy to the ground, without first letting the guy know he was armed and willing to shoot.

Edited by preacherman76

Sounds like you are hearing what you want, instead of the truth, to me. There is no way he'd be in a possition to wrestled this guy to the ground, without first letting the guy know he was armed and willing to shoot.

Exactly!

just like the officer in the article says

“Without that firearm, this guy (the patient) could have went out in the hallway and just walked down the offices until he ran out of ammunition.”

And the gun was clearly used, Its denial to think the gun had no effect

Silverman, who knew the patient, then shot at Plotts.

Edited by spartan max2