Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Shark Week 2014

DefenceMinisterMishkin

Shame on Discovery, it seems they have yet again decided to broadcast more of the same rubbish that outraged long times fans of Shark Week as last year.

In April 2013, a fishing vessel off the coast of South Africa was attacked, killing all on board. A TV crew documented Marine Biologist Collin Drake as he worked to determine the predator responsible. Megalodon: The New Evidence presents Shark Week viewers with shocking new evidence and interview footage.

:td:

Source: http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/shark-week/tv-shows/tv-shows.htm

Shark Week ended over her about 4 or 5 days ago. My girlfriend is a lot more pleasant to be around now.

• Like 1

Shark Week ended over HERE about 4 or 5 days ago. My girlfriend is a lot more pleasant to be around now.

Edited, though the original was quite apropos...

They also staged a shark sighting in Lake Ontario as a viral marketing ploy.

Sorry, Discovery, but you used to be about science.

Discovery are really slipping in recent years..

The only show i watch on Discovery now is Mythbusters and Deadliest Catch..

• 3 weeks later...

I was just getting a hoot out of "Shark of Darkness: Wrath of Submarine"

Supposedly about a 30'-0 great white off the coast of Africa...

Another "mockumentary". So far, rates right up there with "Mermaids" and "Megalodon"...

Sad-sad Discovery Channel

I find sharks to be fascinating creatures and do not need bullsh!t hype to watch educational programming about them.

It's irritating that they put this kind of "junk" out just to lure in the naive and gullible.

brian-regan_zps69a52f47.gif

Edited by Jeremiah65

I don't mind these mockumentaries too much (though I prefer the real stuff). I only ask that they are at least done well. The Megalodon one last year was decent entertainment, the one this year looked like it was put together by a single person with a single animation classunder their belt. Bruce from Jaws looked better!

I hope it's not all mockumentary stuff and that we actually get some proper documentaries.

Sadly these stations do not show educational programmes anymore, it's all nonsense for the mindless masses :td:

Well, discovery had one mockumentary last year that p***ed off a lot of people. So what do they do the very next year? Air more than one. The shark of darkness crap, another megalodon piece of crap, and even their real stuff has that mockumentary feel to it. The giant hammerhead show I watched, while somewhat real, was presented in such a way that it felt horribly over dramatized.

Mike

• Like 3

The giant hammerhead show I watched, while somewhat real, was presented in such a way that it felt horribly over dramatized.

Mike

The narrator actually used the phrase "FREAKIN' LASERS!" during that airing.

Also, Discovery takes great pains to tell the audience that sharks are beautiful, majestic creatures who are invaluable to the natural order of the ocean and should not be feared, then creates a fake documentary telling us that's there's a super-scary shark out there that's highly intelligent and actively seeks out human prey.

• Like 1

I'm all for entertainment and silly crap sometimes too. That is TV. But the balance of entertainment and science lists too heavily toward entertainment anymore, imo. I have to say

I miss Cousteau's programs: Simple, real, heartfelt and from someone who truly loved and respected the ocean and its marine life. Remember when sharks would show up on a dive? It was exciting, interesting, but never exploitive.

We learned as he learned.

But maybe anymore, for the most part anyway, the audience for Shark Week who want entertained isn't the audience to sit still for Cousteau who want to be taken on a beautiful journey of learning and respect.

The sad part is fearing something generally never bodes well for what we fear.

It makes me wonder should I trust some of these networks' science offerings?

• Like 1

I don't mind these mockumentaries too much (though I prefer the real stuff). I only ask that they are at least done well. The Megalodon one last year was decent entertainment, the one this year looked like it was put together by a single person with a single animation classunder their belt. Bruce from Jaws looked better!

I just wish they would label them as such. It's not so bad during Shark Week when folks are talking about it and there's a lot of info out there saying that it's a mockumentary, but that's not the case when they re-air it at 3:00 a.m. two years later and some 13-year-old kid watches it and believes it.

I just wish they would label them as such. It's not so bad during Shark Week when folks are talking about it and there's a lot of info out there saying that it's a mockumentary, but that's not the case when they re-air it at 3:00 a.m. two years later and some 13-year-old kid watches it and believes it.

Indeed...remember the Mermaid mockumentary a short while ago? Yahoo answers must have been flooded with people asking about it. Discovery, the History Channel and Space - the only channels I wanted to have and all three are just peddling trash now (Space is now Syfy as science-fiction is basically dead on the air.)

I am watching Sharkfest on Nat Geo. I like it a lot better then Sharkweek. Sharkweek should really be called Great White week. I know Great Whites are amazing, but they are 80% of Sharkweek.

Edited by ChewiesArmy

NatGeo isn't showing anything new though. Those are the same shows they trotted out last year and show occasionally year round.

I am open to the possibility of things like giant hammerhead sharks (well above average size anyway) as i am to the existence of large unknown deep sea predators, the problem with shark week is it can't seem to decide if it wants to be a serious fact based documentary about these amazing animals or if it wants to be the underwater version of Finding Bigfoot. i would like to see a serious science based program on the possibility's of creatures like megalodon but as far as shark week goes, well maybe in future they should just stick to the known facts. unfortunately this kind of pseudoscience is rife among all the documentary channels, it's a shame as they used to be such a good source of information.

Just started watching the Air Jaws show and was disheartened when the narrator started talking about a legendary 6 meter Great White called "Submarine"

Talk about crossover..