Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Big cat sightings are on the rise in the UK

UM-Bot

Evidence suggests that the 'Beast of Bodmin' is not only surviving but thriving in the wilds of Britain.

A 19-year-old student this week caught on camera the strongest indication yet that alien big cats, such as pumas and panthers, are continuing to survive in the British countryside.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/269897/big-cat-sightings-are-on-the-rise-in-the-uk

• Like 1

Henry Warren, 19, was taking pictures in fields near his home in Gwinear, west Cornwall, when a huge cat like creature leapt out in front of him.

So Henry Warren has seen my latest invention, the Big-Cat-A-Roo?

• Like 1

Its hard to judge size from that picture,I think it looks more like a fox to me

• Like 1

What are they eating?

A cougar in the Americas eats anything it can overpower: mice, rats, rabbits, raccoons, possums, deer, any number of bird species including domestic fowl, also they will take young cattle, sheep, goats, and on very rare occasions have been known to kill humans. The latter probably sick or starving animals as they generally avoid human contact.

Many big cats are opportunists, England has lots of exotic waterfowl like Canadian and Egyptian Geese and native ducks, rabbits, deer and so forth. It is also heavily wooded and sparsely populated in certain areas.

My objection to big cats being in England is the same one I use against Bigfoot in the States: by now a big cat would have likely been killed by a car; they are killed by cars in the U.S. even though some, like the Florida Panther are very rare. The automobile has proven to be their top "predator," sad to say.

Having an experience not a clear sighting of what I believe was a big cat I am not surprised.

I can't be sure what it was, all I can say is it circled my partner and I with two big Boxer dogs and wasn't afraid. It was no dog/fox or domestic cat.

I know what I experienced and don't care what anybody believes.

• Like 1

looks like a fox judging by the jawline...BUT foxes look like they have fatter bushier tails than in his pictures.. so a would say its the littlest hobo..

• Like 1

Grass doesn't look that long, so not a particularly large animal; if he "rattled off several frames" why do we only get two crops of one frame?

Edited by Oppono Astos

I see a cat with a long tail. Most likely just a large house cat playing in the field.

Not a fox, but can be a domestic cat, there are bigger species of those (maincoon etc)...

• Like 1

Big cats are the UK equivalent of Bigfoot in the US. People have been claiming them for years, but not a shred of scientific evidence to support the claims. As with Bigfoot, The longer we go without evidence, the less likely it is that they exist.

I had a cougar reported just one or two hundred meters from my house last week. I'm pretty familiar with what they look like, and that does not scream "Cougar" to me. It looks like a fox to me.

Doing a quick google image search it appears to me that from the leg position it could be a fox, or a cougar.

The snout on the Bodmin Beast looks a tad too long to be a cougar.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

It looks like a big cat to me.

These Big Cats are mysterious. I've got a book about them.

Big cats are the UK equivalent of Bigfoot in the US. People have been claiming them for years, but not a shred of scientific evidence to support the claims. As with Bigfoot, The longer we go without evidence, the less likely it is that they exist.

Except bodies of Big Cats and even live specimens have been found in the UK unlike Bigfoot.

A Canadian lynx shot in Devon in 1903 is now in the collection of the Bristol Museum.[6] Analysis of its teeth suggest that prior to its death it had spent a significant amount of time in captivity.[6]

In 1980 a puma (pictured right) was captured in Inverness-shire, Scotland. The capture followed several years of sightings in the area of a big cat matching the description of the one captured. However it is believed that the captured puma was in fact an abandoned pet. The puma was subsequently put into a zoo and given the name "Felicity". When it died it was stuffed and was placed in Inverness Museum.[7]

In 1989 a jungle cat that had been hit by a car was found on the roadside in Shropshire.[8]

In 1991 a Eurasian lynx was shot near Norwich, Norfolk. It had killed around 15 sheep within two weeks. The story was only reported in 2003, and the stuffed body of the lynx is allegedly now in the possession of a collector in Suffolk. For many years this incident was considered to have been a hoax, particularly by the hunting community, but in March 2006 a police report confirmed that the case was true. It was probably an escapee from a facility in the area that bred animals, including Eurasian lynxes.[9]

In 1993 a leopard was shot on the Isle of Wight after feasting on chickens and ducks.[8]

There have been reports that in 1993 yet another puma was captured in Scotland, this time in the Aviemore area.[7][10]

In 2001 another lynx was captured alive in Cricklewood, north-London. The lynx was considerably larger than an average domestic cat. The lynx was placed in London Zoo and was given the name "Lara".[11] The captured lynx was found to be only 18 months old.[12]

• Like 2

It looks like a big cat to me.

These Big Cats are mysterious. I've got a book about them.

What is mysterious about them? There is little doubt that in the UK many big cats were released into the wild by 'owners' who declined to comply with the licensing requirements of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

oh the fact that im not the first to say it looks like a roo makes the photos so much more funnier!

• Like 1

What is mysterious about them? There is little doubt that in the UK many big cats were released into the wild by 'owners' who declined to comply with the licensing requirements of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976.

Absolutely, but could they still account for the sightings today?

The truth is there were hundreds (maybe thousands) of Big cat pets in the UK before the licensing came in. Only a couple of people have admitted releasing their pets into the wild, which was not actually a crime till much later. The others seemed to have just vanished, although I think a lot of people simply wouldn't admit to releasing them.

The question is did they roam freely alone, or are there any small breeding populations?

Edited by skookum

I see a cat with a long tail. Most likely just a large house cat playing in the field.

Definitely looks like a cat. I'm not sure it's a typical large-sized house cat though. Does the UK have Ocelots as pets? Also seems to be a young cat based on the head size. looks fairly well feed, so probably someones pet.

Except there has been plenty of evidence. Not only have people ADMITTED releasing Big Cats into the Wild, but there have been corpses of deer and sheep with teeth marks that match big cats.

So, this "shred of scientific evidence" does exist, just cause you don't think it does, doesn't mean it doesn't.

Plenty of reports out there, feel free to do some actual research, rather than spouting opinion.

• Like 1

Absolutely, but could they still account for the sightings today?

The truth is there were hundreds (maybe thousands) of Big cat pets in the UK before the licensing came in. Only a couple of people have admitted releasing their pets into the wild, which was not actually a crime till much later. The others seemed to have just vanished, although I think a lot of people simply wouldn't admit to releasing them.

The question is did they roam freely alone, or are there any small breeding populations?

It wasn't just single animals that were released post-1976, but pairs, so breeding was possible - continuation from these is the question; such predators certainly would have a niche in the environment as man had removed apex predators from the UK ecology.

Given that people regularly dump unwanted domestic animals I have little doubt that unwanted exotics are still being released/dumped into the wild, and which will account for some contemporary sightings.