Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

3 Killed In Malawi By Mystery Wild Beast

UM-Bot

At least three people have been killed and 16 others severely injured by a mysterious wild beast running wild in a mountainous region of Malawi. The rampaging beast in Dowa district some 100 kilometres from the capital Lilongwe has sent at least 4,000 people fleeing four villages to seek refuge at a community hall at the district headquarters.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: BBC News

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• emmy

• snuffypuffer

• UM-Bot

• Vox

Finally a cryptozoological mystery (or one I should hope)!!!! What exactly do you guys believe this creature to be??? Last time I checked Hyenas were pack animals who would depend highly on numbers to catch and devour its prey. If I remember correctly they only attack, weak, old, or young animals (in groups of 10 +). Ever heard of the Beast of Dejuvan (it's french, I think it's spelt like that)??? Those were also a spate of killings by a mysterious beast that was never caught, I think it killed over 100 people. In any case however it is plausible that if the hyeana is rabid it might go "solo" (for lack of a better word) on its hunts, plus hyeans are very powerful creatures so it wouldn't be all that strange for it to crush a skull.

I remember seeing a movie 'The Ghost And The Darkness',

about two lions who terrorized a village in Africa and killed a lot

of people. unsure.gif I don't think they ever figured out

why they went beserk either.

I saw that movie KC, but I didn't remember the name of it smile.gif

Like you said, I don't think they figured out why.

I've seen that movie too. I thought it was pretty good. It was based on a true story too which makes it even more creepy.

I think you can actually see the stuffed lions in the Chicago Natural History Museum. Vox, I think it's called the Beast of St. Gevoudan, although I could be spelling it wrong. I used to have a book on it.

Berserk Hyenas? hmmm... that's an interesting story.

In my opinion I hope its some undiscovered creature that found its way out of the depths of the Earth and never seen a human before, and after aquiring the taste, thinks its at a Harrah's Buffet!

But more likely its an animal that went ape ****, on a psychopathic hommocidal mass murder spree, as humans do sometimes as well. ph34r.gif

It could be a Hyena, but I kinda hope it's an undiscovered cryptid!! New things to learn!!! biggrin.gif

Oh, and I tried searching for the Beast of Dejuvan but I couldnt find anything...

Sorry!! sad.gif

In the 1920's unusually large specimens of spotted hyenas were thought to be responsible for human deaths in the district of Karamoja, where an old lady was dragged from her hut and eaten and a seven year old boy sleeping at the time was taken and devoured.

The hyena is a wily predator more than capable of attacking a person who is very young, such as the three year old, injured or alone in the bush. It has ocassionally attacked and killed people when they are asleep, biting there face with bone cruching jaws, in fact its jaws are the most powerful of all the carnivores and is quite capable of cracking and splintering bone.

At one time the hyena was considered to be a cowardly scavenger but it is now known to be an active predator in its own right.

Of the four principal species of hyena, two are seen as potentially dangerous to people, the spotted and the striped hyena.

The hyena became front page news during epidemics of sleeping sickness in Uganda during 1908-1909 when they took advantage of the bonanza of human corpses, not content with the dead they became much bolder and dragged off people from their huts.

Hyenas are a dangerous predator who are quite capable of killing humans and if this particular animal is rabid then it would be very dangerous indeed. It could also be a female with young cubs who finds that killing human prey is easier than their normal prey.

If the hyena, was rabid or protecting the young, then it would have attacked the one person and the other two people could have ran up to help the first one. They could have been easy prey and killed in self-defence on the hyena's part.

It was called the Beast of Gevaudan, and it killed a lot of peasant women and children in France in the 1700s. There was a movie about it called Brotherhood of the Wolf. cool movie. It was eventually killed and stuffed, but by the start of the 20th century the carcass had deteriorated so much that no one could actually tell what it was. Some scientists said it was most likely a striped hyena.